Calling all multiplayer map makers--the need for a single community mappack

Users who are viewing this thread

With the release of Warband, the community mappack project seems quite dead.  Instead, each clan and individual with some modding skill is making their own map pack.  I was planning on making one, 22nd has one, Atlas Novus is another, etc.  This is not good, as people already don't download mods much.  Splitting the community like this will result in low server populations, and all the custom maps won't be in one place.

My proposal is to create a single Warband Community Map Pack with maps from anyone who can make a good scene.  This was proposed back during the beta and I feel it needs to be revived.  The only change would be adding new maps; gameplay changing mods could be separate.  The point is to expand the re-playability of Warband online with a slew of new maps.  And if lots of servers start running the same map pack and we get the word out, a lot of people can download and play, partially resolving the problem of mods never having enough players online.  I am willing to compile this if no one else is up to the task.  The question is, are modders willing to pool their work to do this?  We would need to combine the maps from across the whole community and not have several map pack mods running at the same time.  What say ye?  Are you all willing to work together in this?

sounds good  :mrgreen:, just outta interest, ctrlaltde1337 are you also on the TWC forums or is that a different person?

I'll try to get in touch with the atlasnovus modder if he hasnt read this already. (as I have been PMing him about random stuff)

edit: maps + mods would be great

A map pack in the name of community made by the community > a map pack promoting a clan. I support this.

RaVeN said:
A map pack in the name of community made by the community > a map pack promoting a clan. I support this.
Yes, finally custom maps without 22nd banners all over them :razz:

Interesting... I would certainly think about committing my maps to this project were they not designed specifically for our forthcoming multiplayer module. The battles of Hastings, Stamford Bridge and Fulford are reserved for the Normans, Vikings and Anglo-Saxons I'm afraid... None of this Rhodok/Khergit tomfool'ery.  :wink:

I'm down for this too. I have some of my duel maps I'm working on, which are not set up for all the game modes though with entry points, or actually for lage numbers of people. I guess I could change them for that and sort of half assed set up the specific entry points.

But it could still be in the map pack and just not added on a server not running them. Anyway I'll put them out there when some are finished to see if they get added.

One thing I might tentatively suggest...adding in timothy's banner pack (if that is still maintained) to the map mod, that might let people get their clan banners out there finally in a slightly unified way. Either way a compiled community map mod is a very very good thing to have.

Hopefully one day native will support stand alone scene files as maps that can be moved around rather than a mod, but this is a great start.

I dont mind anyone taking my maps and putting them in a map pack, as long as I get credited :smile:

the more my maps get played the better.

Pass this message onto the modding forums. The less download options the more likely people will all be on the same page.

I hope that the developers will allow 3rd party maps to be played without changing modules, so that they automatically download the maps .

that would fix it all.

Vinson said:
Pass this message onto the modding forums. The less download options the more likely people will all be on the same page.

This is true. ALOT of people don't even look at the forums. Make it easy to download ALL the user created maps together, and get a way to advertise the Community Map Pack not on the forums. Sure put is bold on the forums and keep the thread alive, but try to make it so in-game people know where to go and easy DL.

Maybe the devs can install an auto-downloader for in-game mod downloading?

Exist-nl- said:
I hope that the developers will allow 3rd party maps to be played without changing modules, so that they automatically download the maps .

that would fix it all.

Exactly, an auto downloader would be nice :smile: as I said :grin:

The problem is, there is no scroll bar for maps. I should imagine that the amount of maps provided for such a thing would greatly exceed the size of the list.

I mean I am pretty sure most of the 22nd map makers would be only too happy to provide our maps for this, however alone we already have too many to be able to select them all and are having to make cuts.

We need a scroll menu for the admin panel for this to be a sucess. Unless you plan to be extremely picky about which maps get in. Which is what we are doing with our map pack now.
Of course an alternative would be to rotate the maps available using the server config but that is not ideal.

Scroll menu! Demand it!

Good point Plazek.  We need to petition the admins for this, as it is such a small thing I'm sure they could add it to a patch.

btw I sent out some PMs to some modders/map makers I know on the forums in case they haven't seen this yet.  Sorry if you've already seen the thread :razz:

SirAgmund said:
Vinson said:

This is true. ALOT of people don't even look at the forums. Make it easy to download ALL the user created maps together, and get a way to advertise the Community Map Pack not on the forums. Sure put is bold on the forums and keep the thread alive, but try to make it so in-game people know where to go and easy DL.

Maybe the devs can install an auto-downloader for in-game mod downloading?

Exist-nl- said:

that would fix it all.

Exactly, an auto downloader would be nice :smile: as I said :grin:

ya, in game advertising is almost a must, and probably need to do that for a month to make sure most people it.

Hello I would be ready to commit my maps to this project, as it's difficult to get players now.
OPEN_FIELDS multiplayer map pack:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,104637.0.html

Not being a coding expert, I imagine that auto-downloading would be very difficult to implement in this game the way scenes are handled, a mod is easy enough to handle and I think we will need to settle for that.
/Guttorm

Back
Top Bottom