Call of Duty WWII

Users who are viewing this thread

The Bowman said:
Oh, let me guess, it that's type of game where the Americans fought the whole war by themselves, and the Soviets were merely helping, so why add them, right? There are just so many recent games (of different genres) that cover the late war period, specifically around the Western front that it's not even funny.

Or, wait...Immediately after release, you can buy the Eastern front DLC for JUST 39.99$!1!!
Or a British mini-campaign for £20 where they end up being 'rescued' by Americans. Because America.

You're right, games revolving around the 1944-5 period of the Second World War are ten-a-penny. At least with games like H&D (1 & 2) they involved conflict from around the world and throughout the war; Norway, Africa, Burma, as well as France and Germany. What I wouldn't give to see a May 1940 'Battle of France' game with an in-depth story played from the perspectives of a member of the BEF as they're beaten back. Sure you'd only get the Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.I or SMLE Mk.III*, Webley, Boys, and BREN gun (maybe a Thompson 1928 for fun?), but it would be interesting to play where your side ultimately loses that particular campaign.

My favorite part of WW2OL/Battleground Europe was tier 1 (which simulated the Battle of France), as a flight sim nerd, I just prefer the early war period (before everything is fast, heavy, and has a cannons that shred bombers with a couple of hits).

I think the problem though remains that someone has to manage to convince marketing/higher ups in game dev companies that not everything has to be late war or about America (part of it just has to be laziness/security, given that throwing America as a faction into a game basically means you get tons of money even if the end result is ****).

Austyboo ^_^ said:
All this misplaced optimism and no one's even made a joke about the half-assed name.

I did, but everyone thought I was joking.

I selfishly hope this is a bigger clustermess of an omni-fail than COD ghosts or even Master Defect: An Dromedary. Whenever a really complexly bad game comes out I get 10-20 hours of analysis on youtube right off the bat. Even thinking about TotalBiscuit's potential 200 minute video is making my mouth water.

When I played early COD games as a kid I always found the British missions much more fun than the US ones, and that was before I even had a bias. I remeber a particular mission where you had to attack a dam and you had one of those cool sideways guns. Or was that a different game? I dunno.

null said:
When I played early COD games as a kid I always found the British missions much more fun than the US ones, and that was before I even had a bias. I remeber a particular mission where you had to attack a dam and you had one of those cool sideways guns. Or was that a different game? I dunno.
That was CoD1, with the Sten. I'm biased so I always prefered the British missions, but the Soviet ones were good too. American ones were alright.

I remember as a kid I got really pissed at that mission and started complaining to people in real life.

"LOOK! RIGHT HERE, LOOK! The box says "No one fights alone," but they just dropped me alone onto a dam. This isn't fun at all. I want my team back."

ADDIT:

Just watched the trailer, and sweet goodness it actually looks really entertaining. We're living in the wrong timeline, so maybe Call of Duty is going to be good again. All we needed was Trump.

Jacobhinds said:
I did, but everyone thought I was joking.

I selfishly hope this is a bigger clustermess of an omni-fail than COD ghosts or even Master Defect: An Dromedary. Whenever a really complexly bad game comes out I get 10-20 hours of analysis on youtube right off the bat. Even thinking about TotalBiscuit's potential 200 minute video is making my mouth water.
Woof, now you've got me hopeful.

"Unlike Medal of Honor, we're trying to tell the story of the average soldier in real situations, not spies and commandos doing incredible feats."

*proceeds to make one third of the game about commandos*

Его Высокопревосходительство said:
"Unlike Medal of Honor, we're trying to tell the story of the average soldier in real situations, not spies and commandos doing incredible feats."

*proceeds to make one third of the game about commandos*

"We're focusing on realism."

*proceeds to add Cold War era weapons and Hitler clones in Brazil*

As much as I agree with you that 1944-45 Europe is a bit overdone, at least the Siegfried line campaign isn't. I mean, ok, I remember a very well reconstructed Aachen part in Call of Duty Finest Hour and the Hill 400 part in Call of Duty 2 (and Crucifix Hill in Big Red One), but Aachen and Hurtgen are relatively untouched part of the war in videogames, especially the November battles in the forest. They generally just tend to skip for the Bulge. Not that I'm expecting something as well researched as they used to, but it's not Normandy only, at least  :grin:

Also, since when Call of Duty ever released single player DLCs? All of them will be about MP, probably.

Medal of Honor: Spearhead is one of my fondest gaming memories because of the Bastogne and Battle of the Bulge levels. Call of Duty: United Offensive also opens during that battle with some spectacular first few levels.

Back
Top Bottom