Byzantine Castle Scene

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikephoros

Section Moderator
Greetings, being a huge Byzantine freak, i've been working on a new castle scene that more closely resembles the fortifications of the middle-byzantine period, i.e. those built after the "urban crisis" of the seventh century.
Most settlements became little more than fortified strong points, with an outer circle of walls built around the citadel, which was usually placed where the old acropolis stood.

The scene does not aim to recreate any specific place. Instead, i took ideas from a few surviving castles of Byzantine Anatolia (Amorion, Ankara and possibly Caesarea) and tried to delineate the "platonic idea" of middle-Byzantine kastron.

Here are a few pictures:

mb3ot.jpg

mb4f.jpg

mb5di.jpg

mb6t.jpg

Today, i'll probably start working on the Hippodrome, to replace the current arena scene.

That's amazing. Could the Constantinople city scene have its boundaries extended a little so the dungeon can be reached?

Thanks for the comments guys!
Right now i'm working on the hippodrome of Constantinople.
The structure is pretty much done, the only problem is the Spine, i don't have any 3d modeling program and there is nothing in the scene props that looks like an obelisk.
I guess i'll have to use the minaret.

Nikephoros said:
Greetings, being a huge Byzantine freak, i've been working on a new castle scene that more closely resembles the fortifications of the middle-byzantine period, i.e. those built after the "urban crisis" of the seventh century.
Most settlements became little more than fortified strong points, with an outer circle of walls built around the citadel, which was usually placed where the old acropolis stood.

The scene does not aim to recreate any specific place. Instead, i took ideas from a few surviving castles of Byzantine Anatolia (Amorion, Ankara and possibly Caesarea) and tried to delineate the "platonic idea" of middle-Byzantine kastron.

Here are a few pictures:

mb3ot.jpg

mb4f.jpg

mb5di.jpg

mb6t.jpg

Today, i'll probably start working on the Hippodrome, to replace the current arena scene.

These types of castles actually have a name for them... Don't remember exactly what it is at the moment. Similar castle structures were around in the west as well.

And here is the hippodrome  :grin:

As i already said, the decoration for the Spine is somehow improvised, but there is a tripod, there is a masonry obelisk and there is something that with a lot of imagination can be taken for the Obelisk of Theodosius  :lol:

A few screenies:

From the carceres:
mb7vg.jpg

From the Sphedone:
mb8i.jpg

From above:
mb9e.jpg

Now i'm going to test it in game.

I'm really excited to see there is still being made work on this mod, as i was quite sure it was shut down indefinatly.

Disco Ninja said:
WOW! Excellent work!
Will it be implemented into this mod (and when)?

Like he said, he is testing it. So I guess we will have to wait and see.
Can't wait!  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom