Byzantine armours?

Users who are viewing this thread

jezza93

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Are there any other than the Kettle helmet,it's all Ive come across thus far...

Although the world traded with each other, and I guess you'd see the kettle helmet, but not much.
This is France. Western Europe. Byzantium is all the way in Greece. And I believe they're almost wiped out, if not already, by 1428.
The Turks have either conquered Constantinople or have just Constantinople left to conquer. The Roman Empire is pretty much gone by this time.

Don't forget. The arms of a falling empire are the ones most commonly found on the market. Look what happened to the surplus of the USSR. (Or all the countries who disarmed after WWI)

If youre referring to the same kettle hats as I do (also termed as chapel de fer), well they were one of the most common type of helmet of men at arms of burgundian ordonnances in 1460s-1470s along with sallet great bascinet and armet.

Like in this threat on myarmoury most of these would reenact men at arms.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23997

I was quite surprized that it was one of the most common knightly helmets at least in these decades (many times combined with bevor). :mrgreen: Not as common as sallet though.

Or is there some particular type of byzantine type kettle hat appearing everywhere?

Most of their units came from a generic mix that was mostly supplied by Italian makers and those working in their style. Turkoman and Turkish mercenaries also deployed their own skills and weapons. Certain units like a light cavalry unit were different. All they had was one city, maybe two if you count Mistra and a few small towns dotted around the Black Sea and Bosphorus. Not the basis for an indigenous arms tradition. Still, I do something similar in Brytenwalda. I collect Roman gear, the spathae and helmets.

Back
Top Bottom