PC WORKSHOP

Here creates the best computers in Calradia! You can ask for help with any PC related issues, learn about at the new builds and read our articles.

Quick Overview

Category
Miscellaneous
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total discussions

Buying a CPU for my GTX 1060 6gb

Users who are viewing this thread

RobustTurd

Sergeant at Arms
I'm planning to upgrade my rig around my current GTX 1060 6gb. Which CPU would you recommend to pair with my GPU? Specifically, how high can I go with the CPU until the bottleneck switches to GPU? I currently have i5-2500k and I'm only using around 50% of my GPU.

thanks for you help!

I'm planning to upgrade my rig around my current GTX 1060 6gb. Which CPU would you recommend to pair with my GPU? Specifically, how high can I go with the CPU until the bottleneck switches to GPU? I currently have i5-2500k and I'm only using around 50% of my GPU.

thanks for you help!
Greetings in our workshop! Today I will give you some recommendations.

thanks for you help!
20cb9b12865a635c977eb5cc2c8b69bb.png

Awesome! This is pretty much what I was looking for as well. Do you think 3600X is worth it or will the GPU bottleneck? Also, is there any reason NOT to get a cheaper motherboard?

Do you think this configuration would support 1440p gaming?
It makes no sense to take the Ryzen 5 3600x, at least I think so. As for the 1440p games, your video card is not powerful enough. Your video card will be a bottleneck in many games, with the exception of Bannerlord. You can take a cheaper motherboard, but if you want to install a next-generation 8-core processor with AM4 socket in future, provided that AMD provides compatibility, you will recall my advice with a smile on my face. :xf-smile:

Thanks for all the help! Any reason to buy the Tomahawk MB over the cheaper ASRock B450 Pro4 AM4?
ASRock B450 Pro4 - 3(x2)+3
v1
Sinopower
high: SM4337 55A
low: SM4336 65A
v2
Nicos
high: PZ0903 ?
low: PK618 55A

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX 4+2
OnSemi
high: 4C029N 46A
low: 4C024N 78A

MSI Board Benefits:
1) More convenient bios.
2) Better memory overclocking
3) Cold zone VRM
4) Holds six-core processors in overclocking, and you can also install eight-core processors without overclocking.

ASRock B450 Pro4 - 3(x2)+3
v1
Sinopower
high: SM4337 55A
low: SM4336 65A
v2
Nicos
high: PZ0903 ?
low: PK618 55A

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX 4+2
OnSemi
high: 4C029N 46A
low: 4C024N 78A

MSI Board Benefits:
1) More convenient bios.
2) Better memory overclocking
3) Cold zone VRM
4) Holds six-core processors in overclocking, and you can also install eight-core processors without overclocking.

I've been seeing discussion on RAM being often the actual bottle neck instead of CPU. Do you think it would be enough to get 16gb RAM on my current setup instead of upgrading my CPU?

Thanks!

So upgrading CPU is not necessary after all?
I thought it was a new system. But if you are talking about your old core i5, overclocking memory or high-frequency strips will improve the situation, but you still continue to experience discomfort. I use the i5-4670 along with overclocked memory and a gtx 1060 3 graphics card that my friend gave because my burned out: D But playing in battles where more than 300-400 people is impossible.

I thought it was a new system. But if you are talking about your old core i5, overclocking memory or high-frequency strips will improve the situation, but you still continue to experience discomfort. I use the i5-4670 along with overclocked memory and a gtx 1060 3 graphics card that my friend gave because my burned out: D But playing in battles where more than 300-400 people is impossible.

Good to know! Yeah I'm still torn between buying a new CPU (which implies a new system) or just upgrading RAM. Do you have 8 Gb or 16 Gb of RAM?

Hi Alexander. I ended up buying the following setup:

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB, 3200 MHz, CL16)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

It seems like the MOBO doesn't support 3200 RAM speed (neither does tomahawk). What does this imply with regards to the above mentioned RAM module?

Hi Alexander. I ended up buying the following setup:

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB, 3200 MHz, CL16)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

It seems like the MOBO doesn't support 3200 RAM speed (neither does tomahawk). What does this imply with regards to the above mentioned RAM module?
Friend what is MOBO?

Back
Top Bottom