Bump + Hits needs to FK off from this game

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly wouldn't mind some actual choice, like long spears/lances being unable to bump stab but being very good for outreaching opponents with short spears/lances on horseback allowing you to bump stab.

Too complicated I suppose.

I don't mind the mechanic. It's pretty annoying but it takes a lot of skill to use it well.But bump + menavlion = destruction :grin:

on TDM and siege maybe yes but try it on pickup or skirmish :grin:
Havent played skirmish in a long time, because it is so utterly dead in NA it just doesnt exist. But from what i remember from back when i was playing skirmish, Cav was 20x easier to play than inf, all you need to do is hit people in their backs and avoid the ones facing you, such sorcery.

What is the counter to just holding up your shield and standing still when a cav tries to kill you without bumps?

Cav is plenty broken, this isn't the cause of it.
Not defending the state of kicks but why is it acceptable for cavalry to have 2 ways to force kills via bumpstabs and couching(without a shield tbf), while kicking someone who is turtling up is viewed unsavorily. Same as archers being able to shoot around shields, it's their way of forcing a kill on someone, yet that's just completely unacceptable for most people too.

I see the same arguements being used to defend bumpstabbing that were used to defend kicks. "It's high skill cap" "You need a way to open someone up"

Not defending the state of kicks but why is it acceptable for cavalry to have 2 ways to force kills via bumpstabs and couching(without a shield tbf), while kicking someone who is turtling up is viewed unsavorily. Same as archers being able to shoot around shields, it's their way of forcing a kill on someone, yet that's just completely unacceptable for most people too.

I see the same arguements being used to defend bumpstabbing that were used to defend kicks. "It's high skill cap" "You need a way to open someone up"
Inf have a lot more tools at their disposal, not including kicks, for kills but they are not as reliable, compared to cav. They should* be able to attack faster, pressure and force positions better (think how much easier it is to get around someone while pressuring in melee as inf than on a horse), use melee skill to outplay their opponent and force a kill that way, break down shields and get through their block, etc. And ofc they are often in numbers so you have group fight skills which come into it - switching targets, comboing people, etc.

It always seems like inf don't have ways to kill, but consistently in matches in both WB and BL good inf get plenty of kills. The problem with javs and kicks is they are much more reliable, and much easier, so they become meta-defining. Melee skill and positional play are less reliable and much harder to perform consistently.

*I say should here because right now cav can spam their attacks very quickly with good damage by just spamming up-stab at someone's shield, while pushing them around or eventually making them turn. This is far more broken and again, lower skill and more reliable, than bump stabs which are relatively mechanical skilled.

That's fine but if they are equally skilled and both playing defensively then as I understand it, literally a kick will be the only way to force a kill. (I seem to recall a lot of criticism for Pace and Apri's duel final being like this).

Cavalry has lots of ways to outplay infantry players, much more than Warband, and as I mentioned has couch lances for forcing kills. And with cavalry being the most mobile class it's easy(not so much in high level play) to get behind players and attack from their back, forcing kills that way. Just doesn't feel necessary for them to have access to a one shot bumpstab(Because it usually does end up in a one shot). It also just has never looked right, the cav players lance/spear is always already clipping through the target before the bump's even happened. Bumpcouching is another one that makes no sense... the couched lance tip is ahead of the horse the entire time, yet suddenly being bumped allows it to do damage while 1 foot of it is already passing you by. Bumpslashing would be fine and a cool way to encourage swords and stuff from horseback, but it is wonky as **** compared to Warband.

That's fine but if they are equally skilled and both playing defensively then as I understand it, literally a kick will be the only way to force a kill. (I seem to recall a lot of criticism for Pace and Apri's duel final being like this).
Again, it just isn't true in practice. It's one of those things that's theoretically true, and sometimes you will see a long duel sure, but just doesn't happen.

A tennis rally can go on forever, a penalty shootout may never end. More often than not they end soon though, and the ones that don't, are memorable and tense.

edit: ironically, pace and apri's duel final was an example of both players being extremely standoffish and prolonging the duel precisely because of kicks, as they create no-go zone around the player who is ready to punish any aggression with a kick.
Cavalry has lots of ways to outplay infantry players, much more than Warband, and as I mentioned has couch lances for forcing kills. And with cavalry being the most mobile class it's easy(not so much in high level play) to get behind players and attack from their back, forcing kills that way. Just doesn't feel necessary for them to have access to a one shot bumpstab(Because it usually does end up in a one shot). It also just has never looked right, the cav players lance/spear is always already clipping through the target before the bump's even happened. Bumpcouching is another one that makes no sense... the couched lance tip is ahead of the horse the entire time, yet suddenly being bumped allows it to do damage while 1 foot of it is already passing you by. Bumpslashing would be fine and a cool way to encourage swords and stuff from horseback, but it is wonky as **** compared to Warband.
I agree on bumpcouching, primarily because they're so easy to do, but you are looking at bumpstabbing from the perspective of the very broken cav we have currently. Bumpstabbing is a skilled mechanic that deserves a role in giving a great cav the opportunity to 1v1 an aware foot troop, instead of just being a backstabbing couchbot, and raises the skill ceiling on the class. It's the last area that needs tweaking when there is so much lower hanging fruit on the broken class.

Bumpstabs in Bannerlord are the one thing that, apart from the concept itself, have no place in being called broken. They were much, much easier to do in Warband and are an actual high skill ceiling mechanic for cav on Bannerlord. A good inf player can also dodge an incoming bumpstab if he has the space and awareness. From a cav perspective, infantries also dodge so many bumpstabs without being aware of it by just moving around in the teamfight.

Every combination wich is a guaranteed hit is bad and shall be removed. The question to ask is not how skillfull it is to pull this out, but what can be done to counter it? If the answer is "nothing" - then it's a bad mechanic. Couche lance at least requires speed and is risky becasue of arrows.

Horses have no momentum, they speed up, slow down and turn around 180 in few seconds. Still horseman remains a danger for footmen, wich is absolutelly unacceptable both from game design and historical POV. In Warband the moment you stop your horse you get an instabonk.

Back
Top Bottom