Building up the factions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lonehwolf

Sergeant
Now the coding phases are still a bit away from implementing these (Check Coders' Lab version releases for a quick rundown of what's what in that department), but making models isn't easy (impossible in my case, within reach in case of the modelers), which is why this post is to get the work going while focusing on that.

What's to happen?

Modelers are responsible for the armor and weapons.  We'll need these textured and ready for the following three factions.  This is were, not only the modelers come in, but the community that can provide us with concept art and various pictures that describe what will be used for those various factions.  The main aim in here is to keep each and every faction, and their respective troops, unique in all ways possible.

Some will be completely ranged, others will end up close combat, while most will be hybrid.  It's my job to make each and every one of these be a force to be reckoned in combat, but I'd end up stripping them naked, and that would suck mass!  So I take care of the boring ****, you guys make the fancy stuffz ;D

I'd like to be keeping a spoiler for each faction that Wei.Xiadi will be able to edit as he sees fit.  Hopefully modelers will be referring to this thread temporarily until these three factions are filled.  We'll obviously end up sharing various pieces amongst all, but variety gives it a true spice up!

0318bup4.jpg
20070216145748d71f9dy5.jpg
u12p4t8d1037068f107dt20kd8.jpg

Let's fill them up.  Any concept art or pictures you can provide us, please tag it with which faction it belongs to.  If you have anything related to any other factions post it in the modelers' workshop.

Mongol soldiers, but I thought these would be somewhat relevant....

20070216145748d71f9dy5.jpg
20080207114038694287dn9.jpg
206604xf8.jpg

And actual Jin troops:
u12p4t8d1037068f107dt20kd8.jpg

XiXia:
0318bup4.jpg

Sorry if anyone's already posted these, I tried to remember which ones I had already seen around.

Also not sure where this should go, so posting in this thread as it seems like the most relevant. Drawn from a number of semi-reliable sources.
(Long Text Wall Warning)

The Xi-Xia army appears to have been divided into 3 different types. the Imperial army, the Enslaver army and the local army

Xi-Xia had a mobilization system in place where every man can be mobilized to fight if needed (make sense. since they were a relatively smaller faction crunch in a few bigger once), these are primarily the militia local armies, whom fight as light cavalry, skirmishers, infantries.

The Enslaver army received their name because they were professional soldiers who usually enslave their captured foes, and it would appear that they formed the rank and file troops of the Xi-Xia. They were in charge of both sieges and field operations.

Some of the most notable troops include:

Champion Guards: The bodyguards of the emperors, supremely armored cavalry of special chosen men

Noble Sons' brigades : Selected from the youths of noble families who are adept in the ways of horse archery, this was an elite force under the direct command of the emperor himself.

Iron SparrowHawks: The crack troops of the Xi-Xia, they were part of the imperial forces but were often seen campaigning away from court. They were primarily described as armored lancers noted for their endurance and agility.

From "The History of Song": "The Iron Sparrows can walk hundreds of Li (500 meters) a day or thousands on horse. They are most adept in sudden maneuvers and arrives unexpectedly. much like the lightning strikes and the moving clouds, when they encounter enemy forces in the open they often form sudden charges on the opposing forces.)"

Foot Hikers : An infantry force drawn from the Tangut tribesman. They were light infantry who were very adept in the mountain regions of the north west, able to cross deep valleys and high mountains, usually providing cover for the Iron Sparrowhawks while they cross such regions . While originally not much in the ways of an organized force, they were very well suited for their region, able to quickly outmaneuver and outposition their foe, and later became the elite infantry forces of the Xixia/Tangut.

Third edit because I have too much time on my hands and I've been providing translations anyways... I just spent two hours looking up the chinese for the three besides the sparrowhawks, with only concrete results for the first XD. The foot hikers would be "Bu Ba Zi," Champion Guards something along the lines of "Huang Jia Hu Wei" and Noble Sons' Brigades would be... "Huang Jia Qi She Bing"

I will first post some mongol unit models from Medieval 2 total war mod. Those are from Rusichi Total War mod.

mon_pose_03.jpg

mon_pose_04.jpg

siberian_pose_02.jpg

siberian_pose_03.jpg

mon_pose_05.jpg

mon_pose_06.jpg

mon_pose_07.jpg

monpose01qq0.jpg

monpose02ao6.jpg

0214.jpg

In the 10th pic you can see the back of their armor.

I will post other pics when i have some free time. An 2 weaks exam, work, and family really consume my time..  :wink:
Mongol
military_museum_12b.jpg

bmv200608_d05_dsc1671te.jpg

glory.jpg

news-graphics-2007-_636023a.jpg

cavalry_rides_show_02b.jpg

cavalry_rides_show_14b.jpg

cavalry_rides_show_12b.jpg

cavalry_rides_show_16b.jpg

cavalry_rides_show_09b.jpg

Siege of Xixia
siege-of-xixia-300-dpi-resize.jpeg