Building a town (Mapper's Guide)

Users who are viewing this thread

Patta

Sergeant Knight at Arms
This is for people that want to make a new map for Assassin Hunt: (Note that this is no tutorial, it only tells you what entry points to use and things like that)

Common tips for both game modes:

- The map could be a town, a village or something else, but the townsmen should have a reason to walk around there. No one would walk around in a scary forest, especially not hundreds of people.
- Place the scene props for armors and helmets not in the middle of the streets. Put them in some corners of the map that are not heavily visited by townsmen
- You need to add an AI-Meshes ot the map!
- The maps should not be very big and not like a maze. The bigger a map, the ahrder is it to find other assassins or the Town Guard.
- Also, all Entry Points for the Game Mode you chose for your map must be placed! Otherwise, strange bugs could occure like people spawning outside of the town.

FFA (Assassins only) Game Mode:

- The maps need to be relatively small (but not tiny) and not to confusing.
- They should not be to open either, find a good middle way between confusing and open
- Don't add to many ways to your map, around 4 should be enough. You don't need thousands of small alleys, but only one is not good either.
- Add decoration. I know that this is sometimes hard, but as the map is not that big and people keep an eye on their environment, decoration is important.
- Place the waypoints for townsmen carefully and not at places where they can't walk away from.
- Don't allow too much access to the rooftops. In this mode, it is really useless to wander around on the roof.
- Place the Smith and the merchants at places where they can easly walk away. Otherwise it ends like it is in some maps atm where the merchants run against walls.
- You can use the "scn_assassin_town_custom_X" with X being a number of 1-5 for your own maps.

• All Scene Props start with “AH_*”
  • * = Armor, Boots, Helm are the scene props used to change the armor
  • * = Ammo is the point where you can refill your ammo, simply scale the blue box as you want.
  • * = wash_tube is the bowl where you can wash away the blood from your body.
  • * = Fruit is the place where you can buy food. Simply scale the green box as you like.

• 0-70: Spawns for players, spawns for town walkers and waypoints for town walkers. They walk to those entry points and maybe stay there for a moment.
  • 71-75: NPC Town guard Spawns. They spawn there and stay there. They don't do anything.
  • 76: Smith spawn. Same as Town Guard. It would be best to put the "leather apron" armor somewhere close to him so that you can easily disguise and take the role from the smith. Also, the new smith from the event walks upto this point
  • 77-79: Spawn Point for the Merchants. They also wander around between these points.
  • 80: Respawnpoint for Merchants, guards etc. Also needed for some events, usually it is the town entrance.
  • 87-90: Waypoints for the merchants, they walk to these or the normal Merchant spawns (77-79)

Steal The Documents (Guards vs. Assassins) Game Mode:

- The maps need to be relatively small (but not tiny) and not to confusing.
- They should not be to open either, find a good middle way between confusing and open
- Don't add to many ways to your map, around 4 should be enough. You don't need thousands of small alleys, but only one is not good either.
- Add decoration. I know that this is sometimes hard, but as the map is not that big and people keep an eye on their environment, decoration is important.
- Place the waypoints for townsmen carefully and not at places where they can't walk away from.
- Allow access to the rooftops. The Assassins will need it.
- Place the Smith and the merchants at places where they can easly walk away. Otherwise it ends like it is in some maps atm where the merchants run against walls.
- Give the guards some places to defend that are not the document chests but places around them, like house entrances.
- Don't make it to hard for the assassins to get to the document chests. They already need to kill some guards and stand at the chests for 4 seconds to get a book. They don't need any hurdle race.
- Place at max 4 chests where you can steal books from. Follow this guide:
  • 1 Chest: Should not be done
  • 2 Chests: Bad Idea, but should work if there is a relatively big distance between them and you can't see both at a time
  • 3 Chests: Place 2 of them close to each other and one a bit further away. That works very good.
  • 4 Chests: Same as with 3, just with two groups of two chests each.
- Place more than one chest for the assassins to deliver books so that the guards cant camp there.
- There are no empty maps for this mode at the moment, I will give you some with the next update.

• All Scene Props start with “AH_*”
  • * = Armor, Boots, Helm are the scene props used to change the armor
  • * = Ammo is the point where you can refill your ammo, simply scale the blue box as you want.
  • * = wash_tube is the bowl where you can wash away the blood from your body.
  • * = Fruit is the place where you can buy food. Simply scale the green box as you like.
  • * = Document_Prop is the chest where you steal books from
  • * = Document_deliver is the chests where Assassins need to take the books to
  • * = culture_{faction} tells the game what faction to use for the town guard. Place it anywhere, it is invisible in the game and has no collision.

• 0-70: Spawns for town walkers and waypoints for town walkers. They walk to those entry points and maybe stay there for a moment.
  • 71-75: NPC Town guard Spawns. They spawn there and stay there. They don't do anything.
  • 76: Smith spawn. Same as Town Guard. It would be best to put the "leather apron" armor somewhere close to him so that you can easily disguise and take the role from the smith. Also, the new smith from the event walks upto this point
  • 77-79: Spawn Point for the Merchants. They also wander around between these points.
  • 80: Respawnpoint for Merchants, guards etc. Also needed for some events, usually it is the town entrance.
  • 81-83: Spawnpoints for the Guard players. Should be close to the chests, but not directly next to them.
  • 84-86: Spawnpoints for Assassin Players. Should be close to the delivery chests.
  • 87-90: Waypoints for the merchants, they walk to these or the normal Merchant spawns (77-79)

You can send your maps to us and we will include them in the next update if they are nice! We hope to see some maps from you guys out there.

I don't know about any, simply take a look at it and test it out. It is not very hard and most buttons tell you what they do, just look at their names.

Tdm and FFA Maps should not be the same as both modes focus on different things (see the Guide in the first post). Also, having the document chests in FFA is not good. That could really mess up the score and balance.

mauromagno said:
Slytacular said:
Is there any link you can give on how to make an AI Mesh? I've never made a map for bots, and the idea has always intrigued me.
This can help you, it's my tutorial, but is in spanish :smile:
you must register to view it
http://www.taringa.net/posts/juegos-online/10661873/Edicion-de-Escenas-de-Warband-para-Mapas-Multiplayer-Espano.html

Good thing I can understand some Spanish.  :grin:

But it told me I have to be registered in order to see the page.

Anywhere you can post this on Taleworlds?

Slytacular said:
mauromagno said:
Slytacular said:
Is there any link you can give on how to make an AI Mesh? I've never made a map for bots, and the idea has always intrigued me.
This can help you, it's my tutorial, but is in spanish :smile:
you must register to view it
http://www.taringa.net/posts/juegos-online/10661873/Edicion-de-Escenas-de-Warband-para-Mapas-Multiplayer-Espano.html

Good thing I can understand some Spanish.  :grin:

But it told me I have to be registered in order to see the page.

Anywhere you can post this on Taleworlds?

friend, here you have

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=218441.new#new

bye

Back
Top Bottom