Building a dynasty with children: what for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nawari

Veteran
With friends, we did a long "campaign" game to see what was going on. Fortunately, there were several of us playing, which made it possible to advance in the game without getting too bored. Our goal was to understand what would happen if we had several children and "grandchildren". You have to admit that nothing is happening. Nothing is planned in the game for children and grandchildren to bring something new to the game (for example: inheritance disputes, remarkable alliances between clans through marriage, child murders, rebellions led by underprivileged children). Children are just extra companions and that's it. It is really boring.
I leave the question very "open" even if we have ideas. This system of children, we like it. But for now, it brings too few changes to the game. We were hoping for "generational conflicts", "inheritance conflicts", "disinherited young nobles joining or leading rebellions", young nobles "pacifists and opposing incessant wars", we like to dream... In short, the children, the inheritances, the conflicts between children and between parents and children, we thought that it could have brought new "rules" to the game, new game loops, with in the end, a redistribution of the cards and therefore of the map. Otherwise, what good is it?

Ideally, we would have thought that the game would force us, soon enough, to designate the heir of the clan (or impose the eldest of the children born as heir). We would have thought that this designated heir early in the game might have been in "danger" of murder. This could have created tensions within the clan itself and caused "rebellions". Difficult and complex, we know, to do. But maybe not totally impossible. This complex inheritance story would become the heart of the game because it would force the player to anticipate difficulties and prepare for them.

In our campaign, we had 8 children. And we were beginning to have little children who were already grown up. Then, grand-grandchildren. That's a lot of people.

For the moment, all these children allow only that:
- more caravans,
- 4 combat groups (as usual),
- more nobles of our clan in the cities (increased improvement of our relations with other nobles and notables).

And that's all. There is nothing else.

Also, since the system of building a dynasty exists, what could we, in terms of "pleasure to play", expect from children?

Last edited:
Also, since the system of building a dynasty exists, what could we, in terms of "pleasure to play", expect from children?
Heirs when you first character dies.

They can get impossible stats compared to your starter character.

...That's about it. The feature wasn't really meant to add another loop to the game or whatever, it was just a fun RP thing they added because CK2 and GoT were popular at the time. It takes way too long for them to grow up anyway. You have to hold yourself back from conquering everything before they turn fifteen and even if you make it to give them the reins, the endgame is still a really boring loop of "form army, kill enemy army, siege holding, repeat until low on troops, go recruiting, return to step 2."

Heirs when you first character dies.

They can get impossible stats compared to your starter character.

...That's about it. The feature wasn't really meant to add another loop to the game or whatever, it was just a fun RP thing they added because CK2 and GoT were popular at the time. It takes way too long for them to grow up anyway. You have to hold yourself back from conquering everything before they turn fifteen and even if you make it to give them the reins, the endgame is still a really boring loop of "form army, kill enemy army, siege holding, repeat until low on troops, go

Absolutely. Legacy should bring new gameplay with an effect on all clans. For the moment, the arrival of the children does not bring anything.

I would like (ideally):
1 - children (and nephews) unhappy at not having been "chosen" could rebel.
2- they could possibly take a city from us automatically if they are "governors" or simply present in the city.
3 _ The children (and even nephews) could form a "coalition" (depending on their trait affinities) and therefore dispossess us of several cities at the same time.
4 - They might even join another faction.
5 - their rebellion and disaffection would depend on the quality of the relationship we would have with them and their traits (this would force us to give them gifts, to take care of them, to pay attention to those who have "bad" trait because they are more likely to go into rebellion).
6 - Thus, the heir would have to fight against his own family to recover cities and castles or otherwise develop for the faction he depends on or of which he is the King.
7 - The heir would necessarily be the one with whom we have the best relationship.
8 - These rebellions would start immediately after the death of our hero and the appointment of the new clan leader.
9 - our "darling" could become the target of assassination attempts triggered by the stat / relationship we have with him.
10 - The assassination attempts would come from our family members who have the worst traits (in some cases, there would never be any attempts).
12 - these attempts would only take place when the potential heir was adult, and therefore, the outcome would depend on some sort of dice roll calculated on the character's stats (strength, agility, etc.). He would come out either unscathed, wounded, or dead.
13 - we could put in jail those whom we suspect (bad relationship, bad traits) to be responsible which would further decrease our relationship stat with them. In short, our hero would become paranoid.

It's up to us to be careful about our choice to pamper one or the other or to keep a balance...

What for? As for me..for nothing. Redundant game feature. Give me back my 365 days a year and make people sleep at night again 😁

Dynasty could bring a lot of fun if implemented correctly. It is sadly totaly wasted currently.

Years should be shorter (62 days instead of 84 or so), while kids should be available at 16 years old instead 18. On the other hand, even with these changes people would probable stop playing campings before having kids ready, because late game is pretty much repetitive and boring.

boring is an understatement
Dynasty could bring a lot of fun if implemented correctly. It is sadly totaly wasted currently.

Years should be shorter (62 days instead of 84 or so), while kids should be available at 16 years old instead 18. On the other hand, even with these changes people would probable stop playing campings before having kids ready, because late game is pretty much repetitive and boring.

That dynasty feature doesn't fit in this kind of game for me. I have Crusader Kings for that sitting on my HD. For "solo" medieval RPG story driven game I have Kingdom Come: Deliverance sitting there as well.

M&B/Warband has been always that weird odd game with its own cathegory fitting perfectly in-between both above mentioned game types.

Bannerlord is like Bilbo would say :" This game feels thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread."

That dynasty feature doesn't fit in this kind of game for me. I have Crusader Kings for that sitting on my HD. For "solo" medieval RPG story driven game I have Kingdom Come: Deliverance sitting there as well.

M&B/Warband has been always that weird odd game with its own cathegory fitting perfectly in-between both above mentioned game types.

Bannerlord is like Bilbo would say :" This game feels thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread."
For me, Bannerlord is a big scam. Only battles works. but it quickly gets boring

Last edited:
For me, Bannerlord is a big scam. Only battles works. but it quickly gets boring
This is why as you have already put traits allow a player or npc a branch of action like spies or assassins ,kidnapping , blackmail, gaining relations . Plus the relationship stat should have a bigger impact going both ways . I played a long campaign sometimes i put my self in a city with thousands of food and just let the game run to advance the days to see what would happen (nothing happened) my child grow up and come of age yes extra companions. I did with my starting character start executing lords and kings of the empire and story line of the empire uniting and attacking my faction had started i killed around 40'sh may be more as there was a lot because there children had come of age too. A lord with a bigger army stack caught me and something along the lines of he would make me pay dearly for my actions and beat me in battle i thought this is it i am going to be executed but no i was take as a regular prisoner . After release i never pay i got caught 3 time by different lord and put back in jail all of them said they would make me pay lol . I got away made a army and cut off more heads my own faction had low opinion of me but at least we had a faction, I wasn't king i was a vassal of Battania Caladog is king. My character died of old age and npc's refer the heir as if he was my starting character. Buying gifts for clan members of npc's to raise relation is nice and simple and could be a simple as silks +2 relation.
So if TW want this to work they won't they got some big update to do. This game is a combat simulator at best at the moment and the rest don't work and as you put for the we didn't need a campaign or a map . It could have had hundreds of premade battles with points to spend on troops for the player calculator types this stat is bigger. I hope TW drops some amazing updates and make me eat my words , i love bannerlord or more the idea of what it could be.

This is why as you have already put traits allow a player or npc a branch of action like spies or assassins ,kidnapping , blackmail, gaining relations . Plus the relationship stat should have a bigger impact going both ways . I played a long campaign sometimes i put my self in a city with thousands of food and just let the game run to advance the days to see what would happen (nothing happened) my child grow up and come of age yes extra companions. I did with my starting character start executing lords and kings of the empire and story line of the empire uniting and attacking my faction had started i killed around 40'sh may be more as there was a lot because there children had come of age too. A lord with a bigger army stack caught me and something along the lines of he would make me pay dearly for my actions and beat me in battle i thought this is it i am going to be executed but no i was take as a regular prisoner . After release i never pay i got caught 3 time by different lord and put back in jail all of them said they would make me pay lol . I got away made a army and cut off more heads my own faction had low opinion of me but at least we had a faction, I wasn't king i was a vassal of Battania Caladog is king. My character died of old age and npc's refer the heir as if he was my starting character. Buying gifts for clan members of npc's to raise relation is nice and simple and could be a simple as silks +2 relation.
So if TW want this to work they won't they got some big update to do. This game is a combat simulator at best at the moment and the rest don't work and as you put for the we didn't need a campaign or a map . It could have had hundreds of premade battles with points to spend on troops for the player calculator types this stat is bigger. I hope TW drops some amazing updates and make me eat my words , i love bannerlord or more the idea of what it could be.
Yes, but I specify: they should have sold a fighting game without maps, without campaign and without sandbox, and therefore cheaper !!!! It's a huge scam 50 Euros for a fake game!

Yes, but I specify: they should have sold a fighting game without maps, without campaign and without sandbox, and therefore cheaper !!!! It's a huge scam 50 Euros for a fake game!
Nobody would buy that game.

The battles aren't actually that good, once you get over the initial awe at the scale and spectacle. That's always been a big part of M&B's brand though, so I don't blame TW for leaning harder into it. But trying to sell M&B as a straight battle simulator without the overmap freeform play would be amputating the other thing M&B is known for. Probably the more important part, tbh since most of the battles in a M&B game are only interesting because of the context around them.

I disagree. Even in its poor state, dinasty adds fun for me, and the idea about playing as my son is nice. The problem is just that the aging phase os ridicously slow.

i played with friends a long game campaign too (sorry for my english). And yes they lack many things... Huge untapped potential. We were already saying that with Warband, hence our disappointment and our little anger.

For the first time we can't even finish the campaign. The Empire does not stop persisting in existence when it is destroyed for unknown reasons...

As many friends play on my account, we play on a "collective" computer, we have countless hours of play. We know the game very very well. I have programmer friends. We are a little disappointed because my friends are modders and they no longer want.

Last edited:
I didn't notice that when i played the last time. But now you say it, maybe you're right. I will test.

how can we help developers? Would they like to have the save file of a game that has reached three generations of children with the1.8.0 ?

Back
Top Bottom