SP - General Build your own fief with future upgrades. Detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

When they introduced the game I was delighted that they had construction projects also that this was reflected on the map and that each village had the option to build a castle. Although I must say that at the moment the castles are pretty useless XD

It's not that I don't want too.. I'd love to build my own town, etc... Only in the blank spaces of the Map allowed of course. That way you wouldn't get in the way of the existing ones made by TW, eventually caravans would "find out" about your new settlement and commerce would flow. But, only on the blank spaces if TW has no need of them and has no plan to fill them with new towns, castles and villages and only way far into the game, after the full release or pretty close to the full release.

And I totally support the permanent camps, the so called castras or fortified camps, which was the base of all castles in europe.

?
There are several ways.
The whole idea is to be able to build your own fief from absolute Zero with wealth and resource investments of course - with more freedom. Or more simple with or without a quest to recover a once forgotten great place. In the second variant there will be just a scripted place, where you will begin building a fief - less freedom.
And it should of course take a lot of time to build anything complex.

There are two ways to realize both ideas. More detailed information below.
1. and 2. options at first to build something simple and than upgrade it to a town or even a huge metropolis.
It's more complex anyway - progression in building stages, may also add unique/regular buildings with unique/regular upgrades for them.
3. option - just to choose between building regular fiefs - a castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. The most simple one. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.

1 option.
Building with stages.

You start from building a small temporary Camp for your party, which f.e. needs just wood and can only be one at a time. So it can be deconstructed any time and built again in a new place, but you still can keep some troops there, let's say 50 men. It will also help making new companion parties.

- The next stage. Now you can build already a permanent wooden Keep with wooden walls (wooden Castle), which can be stationed only in some exact places. So in perfect situation it should be scripted, not to be too close to other villages/castles/towns. Of course it should cost a lot of money and resources, not to be an easy task to do, but not so much time. Maybe it even can't be destroyed once built, so for a player to choose such a place wisely. If you decide to abandon it, it may even be occupied by bandits for more realism.
It can have its own different upgrades, including a possibility to choose its own production. So it's already a hybrid of a small wooden castle and a village.
Or maybe you can build houses a regular village or several villages connected to this place, while you upgrade it without hybrids. F.e. one or two villages for a castle, two or three villages for a town.
- The next stage. A stone Keep with wooden walls.
- The next stage. A regular Castle. A stone Keep with stone walls.
- The next stage. A Town.
With regular building upgrades and options. Or better with some unique upgrades of course as you build it from absolute Zero and may have your own priorities in different areas. F.e. you may need a future prosperous metropolis full of people and gold or a reliable fortress with high walls and a huge garrison, so nobody can conquer it.

2 option.
Or it can be even more simple, but with the same idea.

First stage is a regular Wooden Castle, which is already widely present in the game.
Second stage - a Stone Castle, also nothing new.
Final stage - a Town, the same.
All with regular upgrades for each. But with possibility to upgrade from wooden castle to a stone one and from stone castle to a town.
Better with new connected villages of course. Nothing new with them too.

3 option.
As stated above. A possibility to choose between building regular fiefs - a wooden/stone castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.
Why you need a possibility to build castle instead of a town in this case, if you can't build both? Because it's far less expensive to do and you won't need as much time. Wooden castle is the cheapest, stone one is a little harder to build. Not much harder, because in this particular case it will only differ visually, with the same regular upgrades.
A town is the most expensive and it will take much more time to build, not only because of resources, but also because it will take more time for more people to come in this place in search of new opportunities or simply a place to live. It's also a simplified answer to a possible question - where do people come from? A lot of them are are the ones, who were building this fief. So once you've finished it won't be empty.

UPD. My other suggestions connected with this thread one way or another.
Suggestion. Building in towns and castles is way too fast and free. Maintenance.
Capitals/all fiefs with unique buildings and additional opportunities.

Suggestion. Make training grounds the new main source of training, especially for recruits. Add recruiters and patrols in the game.
Tools to balance food and prosperity. Detailed suggestions for food shortages.
Hideout difficulty. A possible solution, both if you like or hate them. Detailed.
Suggestions. Maths and Winter attrition for balance. Detailed explanation

Additional information on mods, slightly connected with this thread.
Mod "Banditlord". It doesn't allow you to build anything new, but concerning this thread, f.e. there is a way to recruit Bandits directly from Hideouts and Towns. Mostly it concerns bandit faction and bandit troop tree. It doesn't allow you to build anything. Still maybe there is a way to use hideouts for this cause, at least as a static or even mobile camp.
would love a merger for this game and anno series

?
There are several ways.
The whole idea is to be able to build your own fief from absolute Zero with wealth and resource investments of course - with more freedom. Or more simple with or without a quest to recover a once forgotten great place. In the second variant there will be just a scripted place, where you will begin building a fief - less freedom.
And it should of course take a lot of time to build anything complex.

There are two ways to realize both ideas. More detailed information below.
1. and 2. options at first to build something simple and than upgrade it to a town or even a huge metropolis.
It's more complex anyway - progression in building stages, may also add unique/regular buildings with unique/regular upgrades for them.
3. option - just to choose between building regular fiefs - a castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. The most simple one. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.

1 option.
Building with stages.

You start from building a small temporary Camp for your party, which f.e. needs just wood and can only be one at a time. So it can be deconstructed any time and built again in a new place, but you still can keep some troops there, let's say 50 men. It will also help making new companion parties.

- The next stage. Now you can build already a permanent wooden Keep with wooden walls (wooden Castle), which can be stationed only in some exact places. So in perfect situation it should be scripted, not to be too close to other villages/castles/towns. Of course it should cost a lot of money and resources, not to be an easy task to do, but not so much time. Maybe it even can't be destroyed once built, so for a player to choose such a place wisely. If you decide to abandon it, it may even be occupied by bandits for more realism.
It can have its own different upgrades, including a possibility to choose its own production. So it's already a hybrid of a small wooden castle and a village.
Or maybe you can build houses a regular village or several villages connected to this place, while you upgrade it without hybrids. F.e. one or two villages for a castle, two or three villages for a town.
- The next stage. A stone Keep with wooden walls.
- The next stage. A regular Castle. A stone Keep with stone walls.
- The next stage. A Town.
With regular building upgrades and options. Or better with some unique upgrades of course as you build it from absolute Zero and may have your own priorities in different areas. F.e. you may need a future prosperous metropolis full of people and gold or a reliable fortress with high walls and a huge garrison, so nobody can conquer it.

2 option.
Or it can be even more simple, but with the same idea.

First stage is a regular Wooden Castle, which is already widely present in the game.
Second stage - a Stone Castle, also nothing new.
Final stage - a Town, the same.
All with regular upgrades for each. But with possibility to upgrade from wooden castle to a stone one and from stone castle to a town.
Better with new connected villages of course. Nothing new with them too.

3 option.
As stated above. A possibility to choose between building regular fiefs - a wooden/stone castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.
Why you need a possibility to build castle instead of a town in this case, if you can't build both? Because it's far less expensive to do and you won't need as much time. Wooden castle is the cheapest, stone one is a little harder to build. Not much harder, because in this particular case it will only differ visually, with the same regular upgrades.
A town is the most expensive and it will take much more time to build, not only because of resources, but also because it will take more time for more people to come in this place in search of new opportunities or simply a place to live. It's also a simplified answer to a possible question - where do people come from? A lot of them are are the ones, who were building this fief. So once you've finished it won't be empty.

Suggestion. Building in towns and castles is way too fast and free. Maintenance.
Capitals/all fiefs with unique buildings and additional opportunities.

Suggestion. Make training grounds the new main source of training, especially for recruits. Add recruiters and patrols in the game.
Tools to balance food and prosperity. Detailed suggestions for food shortages.
Hideout difficulty. A possible solution, both if you like or hate them. Detailed.
Suggestions. Maths and Winter attrition for balance. Detailed explanation

Additional information on mods, slightly connected with this thread.
Mod "Banditlord". It doesn't allow you to build anything new, but concerning this thread, f.e. there is a way to recruit Bandits directly from Hideouts and Towns. Mostly it concerns bandit faction and bandit troop tree. It doesn't allow you to build anything. Still maybe there is a way to use hideouts for this cause, at least as a static or even mobile camp.
a minor addition to your suggestion, that, castles cannot be implanted lets say 10 units around an already existing structure. castles can be destroyed till they are wooden, like just burn it, but the stone walls were pretty much a waste to demolish to the ground, and were much better for occupation. the terrain should give bonuses to production? i guess because you need a vilalge first before a castle. in a different game mode though, we can just ddemolish cities and villages and towns, plundered and ruined, would destroy the in game economy but sound nice for a mod. peace out

It's not that difficult, take the current system of town projects and expand on that. Take total war as an example, or any other game with similar upgrade trees.

I'm all in for any kind of building anything that adds some "do something" to the game.
Building castle. building a refuge, building house in a town, building a neutral fief that your clan supports ANYTHING

I love this idea. It also would be a great way to actually "trian" the player into becoming a vassal, and fief development. Think about it. Each culture would have an area of the map that has been "depopualted" by the wars of Calradia (maybe for Vlandia make it that whomever was causing the rift post Folly was located in that region and the region got devastated). and may have the ruins of a old fortress and then for each you have to go down a quest line to repopulate the region and maybe clear out several bandit hideouts.

Actually I decided to look at the game map to see if there were any places that could use a castle for strategic reason. With the idea at least in game of the castles acting as "coverage" for a city. As well as to make it so getting the free fief comes with a cost. That cost being at a place where your likely to end up in a war zone. I have found seven areas that you could make be the Areas to build your fief. (Also frankly this is showing an element not that too dissimilar from Morrowind's Clan Quest lines.) Also to add to "development of the fief, make it so that initially your fief would only be able to have a single settlement attached with a "low end" resource. like perhaps hogs. Perhaps an option alter on that would require the accumulation of resources, favor and money would be to build a second settlement with a "high end" resource.

So first we have the Southern Empire and right away you notice that Lageta is not fully "covered" from the Battanians I suggest that the large empty land as seen on the map be allowable to "recolonize" with the game reason for what happened being related to the "Neretzes folly" event.

Possible-Southern-Empire-Fief-building.jpg

I would say perhaps have the castle on the northern "face" of the Mountain to "cover" Lageta.

Next we have the Northern Empire. The problem with the Northern Empire is they actually are quite good at "covering" their cities. However there is a small element of "lack of coverage"
Possible-Northern-Empire-Fief-building.jpg

Right around Epicrotea there is a large area of unoccupied land, that also would help with the games story. That being that the Battanians gained after the battle meant that certain ares in the past 7-20 years. (As the devs decide which was it) have been abandoned and your "resettling" the region.

Now we have the Southern Empire, which incidentally also will be covering the Aserai, and as both seem to be the richest factions in the game I propose both give the player an option of creating two fiefs eventually.

The first covers the often heard gripe that the Aserai are too hard to get to and this would be to have two "bridges" that connect the central Island

Asserai-and-Southern-Empire-fief-placement.jpg

Frankly I would be fine if the island actually had tow small cities on it. One Aserai the other Imperial (perhaps named Bah'rim and Zankle respectively) and that you would be building a castle to effectively cement one of the powers control of the Island.

The second would be to "cover" both attack from the other and of course incursions by everyone's favorite Khuzaits. Who as the lore establishes are a recent addition to the lands so the Fortress would be meant to stop incursions.

secondary-fief-placement-empire-aserai.jpg

Now to the Khuzaits this is tricky. There is one area that lacks "coverage" and the issue is that there is no way to easily give it "coverage" that is Makeb. Which is literally ten miles from a bridge that connects it to the Northern Empire.

However perhaps a player as a newly raised Darga would instead be instructed to give new pastures for the Khaganates Tumans in an area that isn't fully "covered" next to Sturgia as seen in this screenshot.
Fief-placement-Khaganate.jpg

This one is probably the hardest to "justify" but it is the easyist way to get at why I am trying. (BTW maybe swap the names of Ortongard and Kaltakhand as Ortongard almost sounds like it could have once been a Sturgian city). Which actually brings us to those Nordic Slavs.

This one is a bit difficult as the only real area without coverage is the eastern approach to Varnvapol as there is no real good place to put a castle outside of the area I have outlined.
Sturgian-Fief-placement.jpg

This one I have to admit is hard to really give a real good argument for. But this is the best I can think of.Doesn't help they have good "coverage" when it comes to Battania. Perhaps it can be an extra horse town for the horse starved Sturgians.

Speaking of which we do have to talk about how to justify the faction with the best "coverage" and I think I may have a option.

Fief-placement-Battania.jpg

This would require perhaps a new city for Battania. Which definitely could use one and also makes the placement of the new fief very obvious. It also though requires Flintbolg castle to be moved to the crossing that leads to Nevyansk Castle (that should also have a "bridge" to Sturgian territories.). But if this could be done then on the little river Peninsula that divides Battania from Sturgia there could be a fief placed to "Guard the way" . Finally we have Vlandia. Vlandia has of course a held fief of good King Derthert Sargot, which has a mountain pass which leads straight from the Southern Empire just besides it, but no "coverage" of a castle, as well as adding to the backstory.
Vlandia-placement-Fief.jpg

I suggest that this be the new fief you are given, and that a final twist be added. if you talk to Derthert mentions that after the great folly of Neretzes that his lords fell into their own quarreling. I propose that one of the leading lords actually occupied this very fief and that the fief was devastated while the Lord and his line were extinguished. So your reestablishing a lost Viscounty in an area that Derthert ended up being the partial cause of its destruction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom