SP - General Build your own fief with future upgrades. Detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

I think that making a castle and a town is probably too far fetched. but here me out on this village idea. I think that each faction should have a town (most likely the most capital town) that has a scripted village that the player can invest in developing. Until the player is apart of the owning faction or owns that town themself. They can then start the process of the "Village building mission". Since TW has all the villages prebuilt with pathing and all that coding stuff. Before the player initiates the mission, the village and all its village scripts is just waiting in the void of code. Genius proof :xf-tongue:

Even if they didn't add castle building, adding a feature to create a "stronghold" to act as a base of operations like in Viking Conquest would be phenomenal. It's basically an empowered camp where you can garrison troops and items, and it remains there when you leave.
Agree, any new similar feature would be great.
It's hard to say for sure, but it seems like adding a possibility to build a new castle can be somewhat even easier than adding a possibility to camp, like I wrote in the thread. Because there's no camp in the game and it would have been a totally new machanics, while castles and towns are already there, but still there's also no mechanics for creating them by yourself.

If it's a stronghold/fortress, than it's practically the same with castle, but with less possibilities - without economical use, but just for strategic needs. No income, only expenses for maintenance of the castle itself and garrisoned troops, no connection with villages and caravans. Possibly it can be easier to implement, but but not a fact. And if not than no reason for such limits.

Last edited:
It's weird to think if you could just build your own place Willy Nelly in the world, Because all the lands belong to someone. To build your own fief on a random spot of land would be a direct call for war. Plus where would the balance be if you could just build it right next to another castle or town.

But having different stages or levels of a player camp would be cool. But it shouldn't be anywhere near fief material.

It's weird to think if you could just build your own place Willy Nelly in the world, Because all the lands belong to someone. To build your own fief on a random spot of land would be a direct call for war. Plus where would the balance be if you could just build it right next to another castle or town.

But having different stages or levels of a player camp would be cool. But it shouldn't be anywhere near fief material.
First of all there are no political borders in the game and tons of free spaces on the edges/corners of the map.
But also an answer in the thread. ☝
- The next stage. Now you can build already a permanent wooden Keep with wooden walls (wooden Castle), which can be stationed only in some exact places. So in perfect situation it should be scripted, not to be too close to other villages/castles/towns.
Also I can say absolutely the same about camps or anything similar. Nobody will let you build anything at all on their lands, maybe even a camp. It could be the same as a Bandit hideout, which should be illegal.
But I can partly agree with you about land. But still you can, f.e. just buy it, nobody said that it's free and easy. Vice versa. Other examples if this is not enough: as I said there's no borders, build on the edge of the map; you can occupy the land, starting a war; you can be a vassal or a king and absolutely legally start building a fief on your Kingdom's territory, again buying the land beforehand; you can fake land rights and claim it, etc.
But I don't agree with that it's impossible, etc. It's a game, everything is possible. Especially when it's possible to become an ultimate Emperor less than in ten years starting from ashes.

As a bonus information. Maybe you and others will be interested.
There is a mod, not mine, where you can hire bandits in a bandit hideout and do some other illegal stuff in fiefs. So partly it is realized by modders already. But without adding something completely new or too complex. Mostly it concerns bandit faction and bandit troop tree. It doesn't allow you to build anything. Still maybe there is a way to use hideouts for this cause, at least as a static or even mobile camp.
UPD. Added info about mods to the thread.

Last edited:
First of all there are no political borders in the game and tons of free spaces on the edges/corners of the map.
Now this isn't official but yes, there is 100% political borders. Every civilization has borders.

(Ignore the purple circle) Map made by Vesper_
FVO7dEx.png

And a camp is no where by a means of unsettling a region. camping is just camping. people need to pitch camp after a days ride. and if you keep a camp in a place for longer than a week that seems pretty fair too. it's not a place of living and working like a real village. a band of 80 warriors setting up camp shouldn't bother a lord to want you to pay taxes. but if you obvious been robbing and raiding like a bandit. then your camp should rightful seen like a bandit hideout. which i think the lords would go agro to you anyways

Now this isn't official but yes, there is 100% political borders. Every civilization has borders.

(Ignore the purple circle) Map made by Vesper_
FVO7dEx.png

And a camp is no where by a means of unsettling a region. camping is just camping. people need to pitch camp after a days ride. and if you keep a camp in a place for longer than a week that seems pretty fair too. it's not a place of living and working like a real village. a band of 80 warriors setting up camp shouldn't bother a lord to want you to pay taxes. but if you obvious been robbing and raiding like a bandit. then your camp should rightful seen like a bandit hideout. which i think the lords would go agro to you anyways
Let's begin with I know about this map and I think it's great!

But there's no actual political borders and limits on them in the game itself. And even if these will appear in the game in future, I already answered you about how building new fiefs could be done anyway, legally or not.
You can, f.e. just buy it, nobody said that it's free and easy. Vice versa. Other examples if this is not enough: as I said there's no borders, build on the edge of the map; you can occupy the land, starting a war; you can be a vassal or a king and absolutely legally start building a fief on your Kingdom's territory, again buying the land beforehand; you can fake land rights and claim it, etc.
And also there's enough of free space even outside these unofficial political borders: some are on the north and north-east, huge areas on the south-east and a little in south-west. It's more than enough for a lot of fiefs, plus the map can be expanded. Also these are unofficial and nobody can say, what specific lands belong to whom. So there are tons of land, which is situated far enough from other fiefs to build your own there. Even some free space in the center.
If you read the thread, there was already brief info on that.
And you're welcome to discuss it of course. :wink:

Last edited:
... I think that each faction should have a town (most likely the most capital town) that has a scripted village that the player can invest in developing....

... It's weird to think if you could just build your own place Willy Nelly in the world, Because all the lands belong to someone. To build your own fief on a random spot of land would be a direct call for war...

I agree with Yangbang here.
But i think the "build your own fief" idea could work if there are some predestinated locations for it.
Maybe they add some ruins far away from the densely populated regions which can be rebuild and upgraded by us.

There are huge swathes of empty real estate on Calradia's map. Since Warband's "Custom Settlements," and their adoption by a lot of mods, I'm surprised this isn't a no-brainer to Taleworlds.

We SHOULD be able, with sufficient resources and time, build a brand new faction from scratch. Hell, it would make generational playthrough actually meaningful.

Start with a tiny village-in-the-work that nobody cares about. Once you have enough hands to do the work, throw up some crummy low-effort castle just so you have a lord's hall and lord over the dirty peons in style.

Once the place develops into a genuine honest-to-Harlaus town with some degree of prosperity (you know, profitable from a holder's point of view), maybe only then other factions actually start looking your way for that sweet addition to their kingdom.

It would give the player time to derp around without having to worry about war declarations while earning all those denars necessary to support such endeavor.

Anyway, in whatever shape or form, I really hope player-founded fiefs make it into the game. Though after the official removal of castle building... meh :sad:

There are huge swathes of empty real estate on Calradia's map. Since Warband's "Custom Settlements," and their adoption by a lot of mods, I'm surprised this isn't a no-brainer to Taleworlds.

We SHOULD be able, with sufficient resources and time, build a brand new faction from scratch. Hell, it would make generational playthrough actually meaningful.

Start with a tiny village-in-the-work that nobody cares about. Once you have enough hands to do the work, throw up some crummy low-effort castle just so you have a lord's hall and lord over the dirty peons in style.

Once the place develops into a genuine honest-to-Harlaus town with some degree of prosperity (you know, profitable from a holder's point of view), maybe only then other factions actually start looking your way for that sweet addition to their kingdom.

It would give the player time to derp around without having to worry about war declarations while earning all those denars necessary to support such endeavor.

Anyway, in whatever shape or form, I really hope player-founded fiefs make it into the game. Though after the official removal of castle building... meh :sad:
Yes. You will be able to build all these things for a very long time, so you will have more goals to keep you in the game. And at least it's some new content, which the game obviously lacks.
And I expect/want this game to be much more than just fighting, which is the most part of the game at the moment.
Yes, of course it has other content, but it's too little for such a project.

Last edited:
This is awesome, I really love this idea, I don't know why you can't just take over a bandit hideout you just cleared, it would be a great perk, building your own place should be added, also maybe it should be added buying property in cities, why can't there be houses for the player to buy in the city? much like workshops, just a place to stay in, and maybe be able to upgrade it, if you are a noble you can even make a palace out of it to rival that of the owner of the fief himself ...

Also I think to populate the city you are building, won't there be like your own soldiers' families? can't they fill it up? can there be a population counter in cities and kingdoms? just to get the idea of how kingdoms compare to each others, how many troops can you actually raise in times of war like levies or a garrison should depend on that, because people are not infinite and if you are low on people you won't find troops to replenish your armies, and finally to the most evil idea of crushing cities and driving its population out of it, razing cities should be added, burning down cities and sacking its soul was a common practice in old times times ...

?
There are several ways.
The whole idea is to be able to build your own fief from absolute Zero with wealth and resource investments of course - with more freedom. Or more simple with or without a quest to recover a once forgotten great place. In the second variant there will be just a scripted place, where you will begin building a fief - less freedom.
And it should of course take a lot of time to build anything complex.

There are two ways to realize both ideas. More detailed information below.
1. and 2. options at first to build something simple and than upgrade it to a town or even a huge metropolis.
It's more complex anyway - progression in building stages, may also add unique/regular buildings with unique/regular upgrades for them.
3. option - just to choose between building regular fiefs - a castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. The most simple one. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.

1 option.
Building with stages.

You start from building a small temporary Camp for your party, which f.e. needs just wood and can only be one at a time. So it can be deconstructed any time and built again in a new place, but you still can keep some troops there, let's say 50 men. It will also help making new companion parties.

- The next stage. Now you can build already a permanent wooden Keep with wooden walls (wooden Castle), which can be stationed only in some exact places. So in perfect situation it should be scripted, not to be too close to other villages/castles/towns. Of course it should cost a lot of money and resources, not to be an easy task to do, but not so much time. Maybe it even can't be destroyed once built, so for a player to choose such a place wisely. If you decide to abandon it, it may even be occupied by bandits for more realism.
It can have its own different upgrades, including a possibility to choose its own production. So it's already a hybrid of a small wooden castle and a village.
Or maybe you can build houses a regular village or several villages connected to this place, while you upgrade it without hybrids. F.e. one or two villages for a castle, two or three villages for a town.
- The next stage. A stone Keep with wooden walls.
- The next stage. A regular Castle. A stone Keep with stone walls.
- The next stage. A Town.
With regular building upgrades and options. Or better with some unique upgrades of course as you build it from absolute Zero and may have your own priorities in different areas. F.e. you may need a future prosperous metropolis full of people and gold or a reliable fortress with high walls and a huge garrison, so nobody can conquer it.

2 option.
Or it can be even more simple, but with the same idea.

First stage is a regular Wooden Castle, which is already widely present in the game.
Second stage - a Stone Castle, also nothing new.
Final stage - a Town, the same.
All with regular upgrades for each. But with possibility to upgrade from wooden castle to a stone one and from stone castle to a town.
Better with new connected villages of course. Nothing new with them too.

3 option.
As stated above. A possibility to choose between building regular fiefs - a wooden/stone castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.
Why you need a possibility to build castle instead of a town in this case, if you can't build both? Because it's far less expensive to do and you won't need as much time. Wooden castle is the cheapest, stone one is a little harder to build. Not much harder, because in this particular case it will only differ visually, with the same regular upgrades.
A town is the most expensive and it will take much more time to build, not only because of resources, but also because it will take more time for more people to come in this place in search of new opportunities or simply a place to live. It's also a simplified answer to a possible question - where do people come from? A lot of them are are the ones, who were building this fief. So once you've finished it won't be empty.

UPD. My other suggestions connected with this thread one way or another.
Suggestion. Building in towns and castles is way too fast and free. Maintenance.
Capitals/all fiefs with unique buildings and additional opportunities.

Suggestion. Make training grounds the new main source of training, especially for recruits. Add recruiters and patrols in the game.
Tools to balance food and prosperity. Detailed suggestions for food shortages.
Hideout difficulty. A possible solution, both if you like or hate them. Detailed.
Suggestions. Maths and Winter attrition for balance. Detailed explanation

Additional information on mods, slightly connected with this thread.
Mod "Banditlord". It doesn't allow you to build anything new, but concerning this thread, f.e. there is a way to recruit Bandits directly from Hideouts and Towns. Mostly it concerns bandit faction and bandit troop tree. It doesn't allow you to build anything. Still maybe there is a way to use hideouts for this cause, at least as a static or even mobile camp.
Good idea, but the center is already very populated, the only option is on the edges of the map or on the islands south of Vlandia, but boats are needed for this. Also in the north there is an unnecessary place (most likely, it is for future additions).

Building your own stuff without being a vassal or an independent kingdom would be great! there are so many ways this could be achieved though, some more complicated than others.

I think a rather simple first solution would be to take over a bandit hideout, that would be really awesome.
You could garrison some troops, stash some loot, and ultimately, over time, take in some families of refugees who stumbled randomly on your place, or refugees from a nearby village after it has been raided by an ennemy.
This population should turn the hideout into a tiny village where you can generate some small amount of ressources like food and raw material, and a few recruits.
(this whould simply add shacks, shrubberies, and a few NPCs in the exisiting hideout scene )

There should be then two stages of population level : random refugees settling there as the base population, and then nearby village refugees after a raid that would make your settlement almost look thriving.

Walking through the hideout at that time would be nice: you'd see your soldiers hanging out with villagers, villagers working on maintaining their shack, or various daily routine, chicken, hog and children wandering about.

About the features, you'd simply pay half wages for the garrisoned troop, but no other income, a safe stash, a local market when there's a population (otherwise the option would be greyed out).
No improvement available, there's a reason why this particular hideout is an abandonned ruin in the first place.

And that's about it. Maybe when the nearby village cease smoking, your population might shrink to populate back their home village and you're back at a tiny refugee camp.

With this, nothing big, nothing expensive or lengthy, no path finding issue, no caravan, but something humble, and great :smile:

But well, it's not exactly a fief though...

Last edited:
?
There are several ways.
The whole idea is to be able to build your own fief from absolute Zero with wealth and resource investments of course - with more freedom. Or more simple with or without a quest to recover a once forgotten great place. In the second variant there will be just a scripted place, where you will begin building a fief - less freedom.
And it should of course take a lot of time to build anything complex.

There are two ways to realize both ideas. More detailed information below.
1. and 2. options at first to build something simple and than upgrade it to a town or even a huge metropolis.
It's more complex anyway - progression in building stages, may also add unique/regular buildings with unique/regular upgrades for them.
3. option - just to choose between building regular fiefs - a castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. The most simple one. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.

1 option.
Building with stages.

You start from building a small temporary Camp for your party, which f.e. needs just wood and can only be one at a time. So it can be deconstructed any time and built again in a new place, but you still can keep some troops there, let's say 50 men. It will also help making new companion parties.

- The next stage. Now you can build already a permanent wooden Keep with wooden walls (wooden Castle), which can be stationed only in some exact places. So in perfect situation it should be scripted, not to be too close to other villages/castles/towns. Of course it should cost a lot of money and resources, not to be an easy task to do, but not so much time. Maybe it even can't be destroyed once built, so for a player to choose such a place wisely. If you decide to abandon it, it may even be occupied by bandits for more realism.
It can have its own different upgrades, including a possibility to choose its own production. So it's already a hybrid of a small wooden castle and a village.
Or maybe you can build houses a regular village or several villages connected to this place, while you upgrade it without hybrids. F.e. one or two villages for a castle, two or three villages for a town.
- The next stage. A stone Keep with wooden walls.
- The next stage. A regular Castle. A stone Keep with stone walls.
- The next stage. A Town.
With regular building upgrades and options. Or better with some unique upgrades of course as you build it from absolute Zero and may have your own priorities in different areas. F.e. you may need a future prosperous metropolis full of people and gold or a reliable fortress with high walls and a huge garrison, so nobody can conquer it.

2 option.
Or it can be even more simple, but with the same idea.

First stage is a regular Wooden Castle, which is already widely present in the game.
Second stage - a Stone Castle, also nothing new.
Final stage - a Town, the same.
All with regular upgrades for each. But with possibility to upgrade from wooden castle to a stone one and from stone castle to a town.
Better with new connected villages of course. Nothing new with them too.

3 option.
As stated above. A possibility to choose between building regular fiefs - a wooden/stone castle or a town with only regular upgrades. Without a possibility to change the type of a fief in future. Or to have an ability to build both one castle and one town.
Why you need a possibility to build castle instead of a town in this case, if you can't build both? Because it's far less expensive to do and you won't need as much time. Wooden castle is the cheapest, stone one is a little harder to build. Not much harder, because in this particular case it will only differ visually, with the same regular upgrades.
A town is the most expensive and it will take much more time to build, not only because of resources, but also because it will take more time for more people to come in this place in search of new opportunities or simply a place to live. It's also a simplified answer to a possible question - where do people come from? A lot of them are are the ones, who were building this fief. So once you've finished it won't be empty.

Suggestion. Building in towns and castles is way too fast and free. Maintenance.
Capitals/all fiefs with unique buildings and additional opportunities.

Suggestion. Make training grounds the new main source of training, especially for recruits. Add recruiters and patrols in the game.
Tools to balance food and prosperity. Detailed suggestions for food shortages.
Hideout difficulty. A possible solution, both if you like or hate them. Detailed.
Suggestions. Maths and Winter attrition for balance. Detailed explanation

Additional information on mods, slightly connected with this thread.
Mod "Banditlord". It doesn't allow you to build anything new, but concerning this thread, f.e. there is a way to recruit Bandits directly from Hideouts and Towns. Mostly it concerns bandit faction and bandit troop tree. It doesn't allow you to build anything. Still maybe there is a way to use hideouts for this cause, at least as a static or even mobile camp.

I also wanted this. +1. This allows for razing settlements completely too.

Back
Top Bottom