In Progress Bug. Troops tend not to use any type of siege towers or use only the middle ladder for tier 3 wall

Users who are viewing this thread

andycott

Sergeant
Updated after latest patches. Summary: Tested many times. This happens not 100% of the time. But more often than not with any wall tier. None of the troops use siege towers when you order them to charge or automatically. When they follow me near towers, which already reached the walls, and I order to charge, more often than not they still don't use it or use only it's middle ladder if it's a tier 3 wall. Also often troops create a crowd near the tower and don't use it too or prevent each other to use it.
Absolutely the same happens when I use only siege towers or one siege tower without ram. All troops still automatically go and Kamikaze to the main gate if I don't command them to follow me. They try to destroy the gates without a ram, but nobody still automatically go to use the built siege tower(s) automatically.
When I command them to follow me to the siege tower, they go, I command to charge and they sometimes begin using it. But, as stated above, less often than not using it at all.
How to Reproduce: Watch troop actions during sieges/ using siege towers without ram.
Version: UPD. current 1.2.0.226110 . beginning from 1.1.0.225190. Most probably earlier too.
Quest/Settlement Name (if related): None/Any with any tier wall
Media (Screenshots & Video): None

Commentary on how important fixing this problem is: This makes sieges unplayable and annoying.
You need to reload the game all the time, waiting for a random chance for troops at last to use the tower or wait for them to use the tower, when archers on the walls already killed most of attacker's troops.

Last edited:
First, please check out the 'How to report a bug" thread. The devs would be most interested in the version you are running and how to reproduce the issue. That said:

Summary: Confirming issue with siege tower outer ladders.
How to Reproduce: Watch troop action on siege tower.
Quest/Settlement Name (if related): None/Any
Version: Currently on 1.0.10
Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz
RAM: 32 GB DDR4
Motherboard: Micro-Star MS-16Q4
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2 TB

I have experienced this as well. Sometimes one of the first units to get to the ladders would climb up one of the outer ladders, but only that one unit. After that, the only troops on the outer ladders appeared to have been pushed there and remain at the base of the ladder. I also saw one unit stop halfway up an outer ladder once.

As far as the troops going to the main gate: The gates of the town/castle can be damaged by normal means as well, it just takes a lot longer. I have not tried a siege without a ram (thought about it but haven't). Do the units attempt to damage the main gate with melee, or are they all just standing there soaking up arrows? When you say no one climbs up the towers, do you mean just from the gate crew or your entire party/army? Have you tried positioning them near the tower then giving an advance/charge order?

yeah this happens to me too, drives me crazy. This is why I auto-resolve most sieges, unless you're a one-man death machine, sieges tend to have worse results in person.

yeah this happens to me too, drives me crazy. This is why I auto-resolve most sieges, unless you're a one-man death machine, sieges tend to have worse results in person.
I don't use auto-resolve at all, except for fighting looters. But I didn't have such a problem with tier 1 and 2 walls, so the more I fight with tier 3 walls, the less nerves I have.

First, please check out the 'How to report a bug" thread. The devs would be most interested in the version you are running and how to reproduce the issue. That said:

Summary: Confirming issue with siege tower outer ladders.
How to Reproduce: Watch troop action on siege tower.
Quest/Settlement Name (if related): None/Any
Version: Currently on 1.0.10
Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz
RAM: 32 GB DDR4
Motherboard: Micro-Star MS-16Q4
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2 TB

I have experienced this as well. Sometimes one of the first units to get to the ladders would climb up one of the outer ladders, but only that one unit. After that, the only troops on the outer ladders appeared to have been pushed there and remain at the base of the ladder. I also saw one unit stop halfway up an outer ladder once.

As far as the troops going to the main gate: The gates of the town/castle can be damaged by normal means as well, it just takes a lot longer. I have not tried a siege without a ram (thought about it but haven't). Do the units attempt to damage the main gate with melee, or are they all just standing there soaking up arrows? When you say no one climbs up the towers, do you mean just from the gate crew or your entire party/army? Have you tried positioning them near the tower then giving an advance/charge order?
I know hot to report bugs and already corrected my thread.
But, except for the summary there was nothing really to report in this particular case, all other information was practically irrelevant, except for the game version. So thank you for reminding me about this.
And I have already answered your other questions in my first thread.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. My apologies, I must have missed that on the first read-through.

Have you attempted my last question from that post? Setting them near the tower then ordering a charge?
Yes.
Not only so, I ordered one type of troops to go to the second tower and all the others to go with me to the first one. Yes, they climb it after I order to charge. And I order only one type of troops to do it, so they won't create a crowd, but they still create it and even without the crowd everything is a mess. :facepalm:
And I even manage to win in this situation. But with heavy casualties, which could have been avoided if everything worked as intended.
I understand that sieges should be difficult and I agree, they need to be, but not this way.

And I also have written all this in the thread. Maybe there is too much information.

Last edited:
That would not be your fault, that would be mine for doing too much at once (I am working from home, so splitting my attention). I see now that you did have those points somewhat described in the initial post. My intent was to give another avenue that hadn't been attempted in order to make this aspect playable if not as intended. Hopefully, they will see to this aspect soon. Here's to your greater success going forward.

That would not be your fault, that would be mine for doing too much at once (I am working from home, so splitting my attention). I see now that you did have those points somewhat described in the initial post. My intent was to give another avenue that hadn't been attempted in order to make this aspect playable if not as intended. Hopefully, they will see to this aspect soon. Here's to your greater success going forward.
Hope that such small, but very important elements of the game will work fine when devs release the game. But right now I feel more like I'm testing it, rather than playing. And still it sure has an incredibly huge potential and it's already fun, except for such moments as with siege towers.

Also I didn't describe the bug as it should have been from the start as I had been testing this siege for a very long time at night, since I planned to report a bug, and already didn't have any patience at the moment I was writing about it. So I may understand, why you also didn't mention all the information in the thread at once.

Last edited:
Not fixed with the latest patches. Tested many times.
Updated after the latest patches. Summary: This happens not 100% of the time. But more often than not with any wall tier. None of the troops use siege towers when you order them to charge or automatically. When they follow me near towers, which already reached the walls, and I order to charge, more often than not they still don't use it or use only it's middle ladder if it's a tier 3 wall. Also often troops create a crowd near the tower and don't use it too or prevent each other to use it.
Absolutely the same happens when I use only siege towers or one siege tower without ram. All troops still automatically go and Kamikaze to the main gate if I don't command them to follow me. They try to destroy the gates without a ram, but nobody still automatically go to use the built siege tower(s) automatically.
When I command them to follow me to the siege tower, they go, I command to charge and they sometimes begin using it. But, as stated above, less often than not using it at all.
How to Reproduce: Watch troop actions during sieges/ using siege towers without ram.
Version: beginning from 1.1.0.225190. But maybe earlier too.
Quest/Settlement Name (if related): None/Any with any tier wall

Commentary on how important fixing this problem is: This makes sieges unplayable and annoying.
You need to reload the game all the time, waiting for a random chance for troops at last to use the tower or wait for them to use the tower, when archers on the walls already killed most of attacker's troops.

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for reporting this problem. Unfortunately, we were unable to respond to this thread when it was first created. We believe the issue may have been resolved since the creation of this topic. If you are currently experiencing this issue with the latest live or beta versions of the game, please update this thread so we can forward this issue to the team for investigation.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Already more than a year passed. And you send this spam answer.

And how do you believe it's fixed - by itself?

Hello, thanks for reporting this problem. Unfortunately, we were unable to respond to this thread when it was first created. We believe the issue may have been resolved since the creation of this topic. If you are currently experiencing this issue with the latest live or beta versions of the game, please update this thread so we can forward this issue to the team for investigation.

Back
Top Bottom