Bug Reports and Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

RedRockRun said:
Got the blank dialogue box again on a different game. I think it has something to do with the Kasthindi elections. It's just a hunch.
It is the Kasthind elections, I had the exact same glitch. Only way I found to fix it was to leave the faction.

Kq4qpUQ.jpg

AdB9c9l.jpg

:lol:

That's the greatest warband bug I've ever seen.

Also, is artillery in any form a possibility?  The game, at the least, mentions wooden cannons to knock down castles and cities gates, so maybe giving even just big armies, over 120 or so, a single bronze smoothbore would be nice.

Jacobhinds said:
Some earlier posts on the subject:

jacobhinds said:
Artillery never works well in warband mods. Besides the technical limits, it always boils down to random and uncontrollable deaths happening all over the place, and it encourages the player and the AI to build their entire army around this one artillery piece. Just like in the total war series, they're either overpowered or debilitating, or both.
Wooden cannons are mentioned in the menu for sieges, but that's as far as it'll go really.
jacobhinds said:
There are many situations where the player might want to have a tighter formation, either for easier manoeuvring or to exploit a terrain feature or something. I've found that long range splash damage weapons disregard all that and make the only viable option to spread everyone out as thin as possible, and either camp or rush instead of manoeuvring.

If I could get 10,000 dudes on screen at once, damn right I'd spend the time and add artillery, fixed and moveable and naval and airborne and all sorts. But with tiny little bands of men it's a bit ridiculous to have such powerful weapons around. It would be like call of duty 8v8 with a tank on each team. Or chess with a machine gun. Or pokemon with nukes.

I think inter-factional diplomacy as is hampers the backstory. Take for example the end of the Gashajin War II. It's not long before business as usual sees Kharasir erupt into violence once more. I haven't done any testing, so I can't be sure when war is declared again between Sayazn and Gashajin, but the grand scale of the previous war mentioned in the backstory seems diminished by all the other violence and shifting borders. For instance Gasha is invariably taken early on by Qara-Kethem. From how I read things, I viewed both Sayazn and Gashajin as world powers who took advantage of weaker allies to bolster their armies during the war. I think it would be more keeping with that concept for Sayazn and Gashajin to be monoliths unwilling to fight again but more than willing to employ their buffer states such as the Provinces and Ishtari to fight each other in proxy conflicts while each tries to curry favor with other emergent powers and break the cold stalemate i.e. Gashajin trying to gain Kasthindi support with Sayazn seeking aid from eastern rebels to pirate the northern waters and disrupt Gashajid trade.

I have considered something like that, and it's definitely how I wanted the game to play out, but diplomacy code in warband doesn't natively account for long term grudges outside of realpolitik like border disputes. I will try to rewrite some of the code to allow for large scale ententes between kingdoms, so that kingdoms can declare war on each other's friends without necessarily dragging in everybody. I might even allow these ententes to develop dynamically based on a kingdom's opinion of the entente leader, so a really powerful "subject" with vassals or lots of allies might try to create its own entente.

Additionally I think it could be an interesting challenge for the player to start a third great war. For instance as a Sayaznid vassal, attacking a Gashajid vassal/town/city/fort could be met with harsher consequences from Sayazn. I'd see it as nothing short of treason. But if you were to gain enough support to go against the faction leader (the leaders of Sayazn and Gashajin both being starkly opposed to open conflict) then you could declare war without repercussions from within your faction and force Gashajin's hand.

I don't understand how raiding and being a bandit works. Apparently I can still recruit militia and modern troops from some cities but never from those held by my faction. Some villages offer bandits, some offering nothing. Is there anywhere on the UI where I can see how much of a bandit I am? I'd love to be able to recruit regular forces again.

Specialized regiments only recently started costing money. I had been able to recruit them for free, only paying their weekly costs, but now the funds are being properly deducted. Maybe it's a mercenary vs vassal thing?

Money feels far too hard to acquire in significant amounts without raiding. Because of the bandit system I'd rather not have to resort to it, but besides Sayazn and Qara-Kethem I haven't seen many factions consistently holding more than two cities which renders it harder to offset weekly troop costs and do more than have enough money to maintain supplies as opposed to growing. There's always prisoner taking, but gameplay becomes so boring when one's personal role is relegated to rushing in and trying to knock foes out before they're riddled with lead and pikes. I often want to hang back with the muskets and fire volleys with them, personally lead cavalry charges as a lancer, or just sit on a hill and play RTS commander.

Is there any way to give custom regiments boots?

I'll try and address all these things during the next patch. I have a lot of free time at the moment but my computer just died* and I am trying to self-publish a comic book, so I can't really do much until both those things are sorted out.

*(don't worry, the mod is double-double backed up in its entirety, even the master .PSD files and blender files, and nothing has been lost. Even if I had lost everything the source code is the important part.)

Good to hear Jacob! I really look forward to giving this mod another play-through!

Just a minor suggestion, but could we possibly see a helmet be included for the custom musketeer regiment? There's already a breastplate, so I'd love to go all the way and have a steel legion.

Agreed, of course this should all have correlating cost. Outfitting people in steel, arming them with the finest arms, and training them to excellency in skill should be prohibitively expensive for the sake of balance.

Actually, I'd even recommend various "tiers" of experience if such a thing is even possible. Think what Fire and Sword did with custom troops, if I recall they can be ranked up with XP gain and obtain increased skills.

Jacobhinds said:
I'll try and address all these things during the next patch. I have a lot of free time at the moment but my computer just died* and I am trying to self-publish a comic book, so I can't really do much until both those things are sorted out.

*(don't worry, the mod is double-double backed up in its entirety, even the master .PSD files and blender files, and nothing has been lost. Even if I had lost everything the source code is the important part.)

You're the best Jake the (mod)Make(r).

Back
Top Bottom