Bug Reports: 1.6 (Alpha)

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
Please submit bug reports for version 1.53 here.

Bug report guidelines:

1.  If it involves a consistent engine crash:
A.  Have you updated Warband to the current version yet?
B.  Try turning your battle sizes down.  Blood and Steel has higher resource requirements than Warband.  Not by a huge amount, but it all adds up.
C.  If that doesn't work, try turning music off.
D.  If that doesn't work, try DirectX 7 rendering.
E.  Turn off Realistic Weather, by clicking Camp, Mod Options, Realistic Weather: OFF.
F.  Try deleting flora_kinds.txt from the /data sub-folder.  Apparently the new scenery causes problems for some users, and this fixes it.
G.  If none of that works, report a bug.
H.  If you're reporting a bug, hunt down your RGL log, take a screenshot, or otherwise try and tell me as much as possible about what went wrong and when it happens.

2.  If it's gameplay related (something acts funny, or does something illogical, but the game runs), it's probably something I can fix. 
A.  Let me know what it is.
B.  Let me know how to reproduce it, if possible.

3.  If it's just something you don't like, it's a Feature Request, not a bug.

4.  Bugs are normal parts of building a big project.  Please don't flame me, I'm working for free here :smile:
5.  As the name suggests, 1.6 is in an alpha state in a couple of areas.  Expect more bugs than usual.

Oh, I really like the new things so far!  Jeremus has a special trident!

Trident_zps6d843d44.jpg

Female faces are much improved!  However, the following sliders are currently disabled:  Eye to Eye Distance, Nose Size, Mouth Width, Chin Size.

Also, many food items are completely invisible in Inventory (including merchant inventories).
InvisibleFood_zps9b5ec326.jpg

Last, overhead banners for troops in battle are blank circles.  The banners work properly on the campaign map; it's only in battle that they are blank.

This is such brilliant work.  I sat there and admired the water after winning a battle...it's lovely.

Great alpha thus far. I can confirm that most of the food items are invisible in addition with some trade goods. (furs, iron, salt, surely others but can't remember right now) I can also confirm the blank banner part.
Some facial textures look unnatural. I saw a few troops look as though they had liver failure looking yellowy. I noticed a few hairstyles when in a tavern contrast with the rest of the npc. The hair would look bright compared to the darker body. I did the merchant brother's quest and when talking to the kidnapped, his hair looked like a comparison. One half was a lighter blurry black while the rest looked normal.
The Sisters of Mercy have a barbarian class'esque running speed. I don't know if intended given they have a 51 agility. Also, they're initially listed as archers. Not sure if meant like that.
I suspect that the orders you implemented at the start of every battle map are messing with cavalry. I had my horsemen holding a spot with my archers, told them to charge but after a bit they returned to their spot to which I told them to use weapons at will with the same result. That cleared up though when I told everyone to charge.
My guess this one is related to the damage overhaul, but there seems to be a max damage cap for lances. The problem with it is that it takes taking out lesser horses more than one shot.

I am concerned that the Sarranids are a bit overpowered at present.  I know they need some help to withstand the Armies of Darkness, but Good Lord, they cut apart Rhodoks like butter.  :shock:

I am watching massive battles between King+ lord armies of both sides auto-resolve, and the Rhodoks are dying 2:1.  One would think they ought to have some parity, yes? 

I wonder if the problem is that Sultan Hakim and many of his Emirs are set at Level 0 to start?  Are they leveling up quickly and gaining advantages from that?

I believe they have a flamethrower unit now, so that might tilt the scale. If memory serves lords and kings scale level with the player unless that has changed.
I noticed in one plains battle there was a body of water with some strange white blanket in the wind animation above it.
Are Remnants weaponry consisting of just the night blade? Seems like they do when I've fought with them thus far.
This may be on my end but I haven't noticed much change in winter forest fields nor do I see additional options for dealing with trees save the video options.

Will take a look at the reported shader bugs tonight; I am pretty sure I know exactly what is wrong with the food items, that should be straightforward; the issue of the banners will take a minute.

I noticed in one plains battle there was a body of water with some strange white blanket in the wind animation above it.
That's weird.  I'd like to see a screen of that, if possible, or if it's one of the non-random battlefields, which one?

Some facial textures look unnatural. I saw a few troops look as though they had liver failure looking yellowy.
I really need to see some screens of that, and I'd really love to know how / where to reproduce it.

I noticed a few hairstyles when in a tavern contrast with the rest of the npc. The hair would look bright compared to the darker body. I did the merchant brother's quest and when talking to the kidnapped, his hair looked like a comparison. One half was a lighter blurry black while the rest looked normal.
Sounds like I need to do another pass on that shader; it shouldn't ever be that severe.  I'll look into that tonight.

Female faces are much improved!  However, the following sliders are currently disabled:  Eye to Eye Distance, Nose Size, Mouth Width, Chin Size.
That's probably permanent, I'm afraid; those were some of the parameters that were causing the worst distortions.  I'll have to consider any changes to re-implement those features very carefully, and it will probably take a fair amount of mesh re-work, so it's likely that it won't make this round but we'll see.

I am concerned that the Sarranids are a bit overpowered at present.  I know they need some help to withstand the Armies of Darkness, but Good Lord, they cut apart Rhodoks like butter.
It's probably a level issue; auto-battle results mainly have to do with the average levels of all the troops concerned.  I'll look into that and see what makes sense to change to make the balance a bit better.

The Sisters of Mercy have a barbarian class'esque running speed. I don't know if intended given they have a 51 agility. Also, they're initially listed as archers. Not sure if meant like that.
They're supposed to be fast, but they should not be archers.  I'll fix that.

I suspect that the orders you implemented at the start of every battle map are messing with cavalry. I had my horsemen holding a spot with my archers, told them to charge but after a bit they returned to their spot to which I told them to use weapons at will with the same result. That cleared up though when I told everyone to charge.
Yes.  Cavalry with missile weapons was a special problem.  I've tried a lot of different things over the last three years, and this finally fixed the worst of their behavior problems, but it came with a catch.

About the only way I've come up with to fix them is to transfer them to another group, whereupon certain AI issues quit happening.  However, I haven't tried out swapping them to the other group, forcing a rethink, then posting them back to their original group, so that commands aren't confusing to the end-user.  I'll see what can be done about this.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Warband engine's source and our access to the AI's state machine is almost nil, so I cannot just fix the problem in a way that is really straightforward- I have to feed the AI some data that changes its behavior.  Anyhow, I'll see what I can do.

My guess this one is related to the damage overhaul, but there seems to be a max damage cap for lances. The problem with it is that it takes taking out lesser horses more than one shot.
Yes.  That's an oversight on my part; the damage cap on Agents is then tranferred to the horse- horses are treated like a sub-part of the Agent by the engine when determining damage.  Weird but easily fixed; I even remember noting that but forgetting to fix it.  I'll get that done right after this post.

Are Remnants weaponry consisting of just the night blade? Seems like they do when I've fought with them thus far.
They get two of the four poisoned blades.  The other two were big enough that I felt they'd look a bit weird being wielded by them.  I'll think about how to give them more variety in terms of weapons without messing up their current glass-cannon setup.

Anyhow, please keep letting me know about shader bugs.  Haven't had any crash reports, so it looks like I just need to tidy up a few things and push out  another patch to address them, along with the low-hanging-fruit stuff in regards to balance and other issues.

Got the hair fixed to operate a bit better when in bright/dark lighting.

Fixed the issues with invisible items (and a few other cases where I hadn't killed off all the Instanced shader stuff).

Cannot reproduce the banner-for-troops-is-missing bug; I set a banner, am not seeing any errors on the overhead circles for troops.  Cannot reproduce the weird-skin bug.  Cannot reproduce whatever weird issue happened with the water, either.  I need more information to fix those.

Sarranid / Rhodok balance is being looked at.

Got the horse-doesn't-take-damage-as-usual bug fixed.

Testing the horse-archer fix.

Fixed bug with Aleph money being deducted when you don't even have an Aleph yet  :lol:

Fixed bugs with the mounted-archer AI, although once again, the fix is imperfect.  What happens now is that, when the first mounted troops run out of ammo, everybody switches back to free-weapons mode (which means that they'll tend to charge into melee once again). 

This has some negatives; the chief being that mixing up horse-archer squads with mixed levels of ammunition means that they're going to quit being horse archers when the first guy armed only with a few javelins is out of ammo..

However, this is the best balance I can come up with, given that the change of the Agent's Division is admittedly clunky.  It at least keeps Agents with missile weapons who are out of ammunition from just standing around doing nothing.

I guess the one other option is to simply prevent horse-archers from ever, ever, ever running out of ammo. Then they could be given the "use ranged weapons" order that sets them on horse-archer mode.  That would be a fix, but I think that we'd all have to agree, it's not exactly realistic or desirable from a gameplay POV.

I'm not sure how the poison procs when a player attacks something with it, but I don't see anything in the combat log showing huge damage numbers using the Siren's trident. One thing for sure is it's dangerous trying to combat anything with poison weapons currently. I had a battle where I was helping a Rhodok count against a Death Knight Raiders pack. We got stomped, partly I think with Siren's firing poison death. I'm guessing poison will undergo tweaks in the future, given right now a proc against a player/horse itself is 300 although makes sense given the explanation of poison weapons.
I saw these in 1.5 and the current alpha: Pavise shields don't show up on any character's back. That random glitch when talking to a lord sometimes and the relationship then instant caps max at a blank dialogue screen. This happened when I returned to a lord to turn in the quest taking out the murderer in a village. Might be I did it too fast via porting around the map.

No bugs so far.

One minor suggestion?

Slow down the animation for the "windy grass", it does look awesome, but after being in a battle with it for a while, it started giving me a headache trying to focus on hitting the troops...

Maybe slow down the animation a tad?

I'm not sure how the poison procs when a player attacks something with it, but I don't see anything in the combat log showing huge damage numbers using the Siren's trident.
Siren tridents are poisoned, but it's randomized; using a poisoned weapon requires a lot of hits sometimes.

I'll take a look at that hang bug involving Lords and Quests; if that's really related to a timed trigger not being updated yet, then I can just make that fire every time you talk to a Lord, which we probably won't notice.

Pavise shields don't show up on any character's back.
A lot of everything doesn't show up when equipped, largely because the visual effects were so bad with a lot of armors.  I'll take a look at the Pavise shields, see if I can arrive at some reasonable compromise.

Anyhow, I really need to see a screenshot of those shader bugs!  That will help me hunt down the cause; if I'm not seeing the error, I need to know what the context is.  Probably it's just some minor thing that runs slightly differently on nVidia chipsets that I need to fix.

Got some screenies showing the odd blanket.
8RN2fSa.jpg
This one shows another angle along with the blank banner bug. I was in a fight teamed with 3 Nord lords. My two Swadian swordsmen are currently selected and the rest are said Nord lords' troops.
0SH0MVC.jpg
This one taken where the blanket started along with more of it in the background.
OamnNWn.jpg

Caught the "odd blanket"; that one's toast.  Seems to be related to some sort of issue with the parameters.  I think I know what's up, but I'll have to check some stuff first.  Got it sorted shader-side for now.

Can't replicate the "yellow skin" thing, though.

Sayd Ûthman said:
when in tournaments, wooden weapons do not appear, also some shields tend to disappear, everything else is looking great so far.

I have seen that happen as well, but turns out the weapons start off "sheathed", just needed to scroll to it for me

First patch is up; this should address:

1.  Certain objects not showing up in stores.
2.  "Odd Blanket" water / wind bug.
3.  Aleph pay cannot be taken out if player doesn't own Aleph yet but attempts to siege.
4.  Fixed horse-archer behavior to provide a little better compatibility with standard commands.
5.  Changed hair shader a bit to work better in situations with high dark / light differences between sun / specular / ambient light.
6.  Horses take normal damage (note that this does not necessarily address the specific issue with couched-lance damage, that requires a bit more thought).
7.  Sisters of Mercy are no longer "archers".

Anyhow, that's it; to install the patch, just drop the contents of the zip file into whatever directory you have 1.6 Alpha installed.

Reposting from the other thread

Bridge intro - I guess those caravan guards are supposed to be fodder, but I started with a bunch of bandits (surprisingly, they survived being massacred by death knights, so they should either be joining the player after the intro or die on the bridge) and they also crowded into the merchant's house when I got knocked out. This is native issue, so (0,mtef_team_0|mtef_use_exact_number,af_override_horse,0,1,[]), in the mission template "meeting_merchant" should fix it.

Tavern mercenaries - if you have more than 2 of the same type in one city, you'll end up in the mercenary_after_recruited dialog state. This persists even after you re-enter the tavern to clear the visitors.
Code:
					(try_begin),
					 (eq, "$g_talk_troop", ":mercenary_troop_two"),
					 (assign, ":mercenary_amount", ":mercenary_amount_two"),
					(else_try),
					 (eq, "$g_talk_troop", ":mercenary_troop_three"),
					 (assign, ":mercenary_amount", ":mercenary_amount_three"),
					(try_end),
Since we've already recruited say merc #2, its amount will be set to 0 and will be used here instead of merc #3 that we're trying to talk to. I'd set a troop slot somewhere with the entry point while the visitor is being added, then use agent_get_entry_no on $g_talk_agent to figure out which merc slot I'm conversing with).

Kidnapper cave tells me 1 Lezalit has died, obviously he's still there - (display_message, "@{reg2} {s7} died."), in module_game_menus. While you're there might as well fix up the casualties (split up enemy and ally) so you don't loot your own friendly troops

game_get_item_sell_price_factor constantly spams me with the price factor notification even when I'm not talking to a merchant.

Yaroglek tells me it's still early in the trading season the second time I talk to him after a quest - apparently he has no relevant comments and the output from script_merchant_road_info_to_s42 was leftover.

Everybody spawns with the same equipment in the arena - even when you enter the arena the tournament master will have a shield on his back.

Advanced formations - missing string values need to be added in the language csv

Horse archer AI - the initial orders aren't hidden by set_show_message
The shader issues seem to have been resolved in the current build

so (0,mtef_team_0|mtef_use_exact_number,af_override_horse,0,1,[]), in the mission template "meeting_merchant" should fix it.
Fixed.
Tavern mercenaries - if you have more than 2 of the same type in one city, you'll end up in the mercenary_after_recruited dialog state.
Yeah, that's a bit silly, isn't it?

I had a thought; perhaps if there are any matches between 1, 2 or 3, maybe I should have a special merc type that shows up only in that case?  Sort've sliding around the problem, as it were, might be faster than trying to fix the root issue.

Kidnapper cave tells me 1 Lezalit has died, obviously he's still there - (display_message, "@{reg2} {s7} died."), in module_game_menus. While you're there might as well fix up the casualties (split up enemy and ally) so you don't loot your own friendly troops
Yeah, that's a silly one, I'll test a fix asap.

Yaroglek tells me it's still early in the trading season the second time I talk to him after a quest - apparently he has no relevant comments and the output from script_merchant_road_info_to_s42 was leftover.
I think I'll just comment it out entirely; making it give a non-garbage answer is a pretty big task, given what got changed under the hood.

game_get_item_sell_price_factor constantly spams me with the price factor notification even when I'm not talking to a merchant.
That's meant as a player guide, telling players what their current selling / buying skill is doing for them.  Probably needs a more elegant presentation, but I'm not sure what I can do about that.

Everybody spawns with the same equipment in the arena - even when you enter the arena the tournament master will have a shield on his back.
They should have the same equipment; that's intentional, players kept complaining about how imba the original setup was.  That said, I don't think that should include the Tournament Master  :roll:

Advanced formations - missing string values need to be added in the language csv
Worse yet, apparently F7 is now in use, oops.  So I have to move that key.

Horse archer AI - the initial orders aren't hidden by set_show_message
Good thought, that.  Will fix now.

Character tableaus are uniformly darker
Yeah, the treatment's a little different and there just isn't any perfect solution, due to the wonky way it all works on the engine side.  They aren't unintelligibly dark over here, though.

Items using instancing (inventory objects using agent_shader_instanced) and nospecular_shader_noskin_bump_high (Tunic with Vest) don't show up at all in the inventory (not just black) - already reported
Ah, thanks for catching the Tunic; I fixed the other issues, that one's now fixed as well.

Character face lods aren't affected by lighting
Not quite sure what to do about the last issue (face LODs); I'm aware of it, but I'm having trouble tracking down what shader's operating there.

Back
Top Bottom