[BUG] Lords seem to ignore castles under siege, yet patrol around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sarejo

Sergeant Knight at Arms
This also happened in Mount & Blade 1.011.

Nords were besieging Grunwalder Castle. I redirected Kingdom's Marshall there (May I suggest a course of action? -> We are under attack but the enemy can be repulsed. You should gather the army and ride towards...)

He arrives at the castle, just outside the battle, and then patrols around.
mb107.jpg

Another behaviour I've seen is a Kingdom Marshal joining a siege battle (On the defender's side), and the rest of the lords accompanying him staying outside the battle, waiting.

Parties don't join sieges on the defense, but that might be worthwhile reconsidering for Warband, given that it leads to odd-looking results.

One tricky element to fixing this, though, is that it might make sieges rather hard on the attacker, if any party passing by the outside can intervene and join the defenders, thereby gaining the wall bonus.

I see. Well, it would make sense that they didn't win the attack bonus, since the castle is under siege and they can't get to the walls from the outside. Maybe (I don't know if it's possible, it doesn't seem likely) apply the bonus to the castle defenders but not to the outside parties? If that's the case, there would be a problem if the player joined that battle. Would he join the siege defense, or the troops trying to break the siege from the outside?

The player joins the siege defense. Otherwise, a player who wanted to defend a castle would have to sit around for a while, waiting for it to be attacked. The system could use a reconsideration, at least.

Couldn't it be just a case of making the defenders fight to get in?

For example, proportionally to the number of attackers, run a script that makes the defenders trying to break the siege lose a certain amount of their forces before they can participate in defending from inside the walls?

And why not make the players actively (meaning through a scene event) breach the siege camp to get inside?

Yeah, and winning the battle to break the siege would also force the sieging parties to abandon the siege and delay them from attacking the walls for a few more hours or so (while the player can sit and wait inside the castle for reinforcements (hopefully) to come or leave and fight the sieging parties on open ground).

Yes, I agree, it would be nice to have an option to battle besieging forces on the open in an attempt to break the siege and get to the castle, or at least having a script killing some of your troops (sort of like the "Pull back, leaving some soldiers to cover your retreat" option, also losing morale). This last thing wouldn't be hard to implement since it's already there. The option to break the siege would take some more effort and needs more thought.

What Nijis said is also important, sieges shouldn't be made too hard for attackers, because then the game wouldn't progress.

But the main issue here is what to do with passing by lord parties that witness a siege. If they could join the battle for defense, without the wall bonus if possible, it wouldn't be so harsh on the attackers since they are usually 400-800 and lord parties are often in the 80-140 range at let's say 100 days of gameplay.

The thing is that I'm positive that in Mount & Blade I saw some lord parties joining the defenders and the rest of the army standing outside. Maybe the marshal was alredy in the castle when the siege begun.

The thing is that I'm positive that in Mount & Blade I saw some lord parties joining the defenders and the rest of the army standing outside.

They may have been intending to enter the castle anyway, for a number of reasons.

Distinguishing between defenders who were in the castle when the siege began, and those who joined afterwards, is actually one of those seemingly simple things that could lead to additional and unforeseen complications on many levels. It involves some interface between the scripting system and the code which I don't fully understand.

The easiest solution may simply be to have passing defenders join the defense, and get the wall bonus, but I'd need to talk to Armagan about this.

If you do add this please consider not having them join automatically.

Factors that would affect the decision:
1) Chance of winning
      If the passing NPC noble "calculates" that his guys would get squished, this would be a negative modifier.
The passing noble should look at the castle defenders and *allies who should join* when making this calculation
or this would negate the fix in the original complaint. :smile:  Whether the calculation of "who should join" takes all
the factors into account is up to you. 
2) Personality of the Noble
      If such a thing exists :smile: it should be a modifier.
3) Relations of the passing noble to the defending noble(s) and/or the owner of the castle.
      Negative or positive effect, obviously.

You may also choose to adjust NPC relations to other NPCs a little based on whether they "helped out" or not.  This
adjustment should be small and/or unlikely as it something that could easily get out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom