[BUG] HDR Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Scorch!

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Okay, so for quite a while now I had been happily playing Warband without realizing that I didn't have HDR enabled. I tried looking in the video settings menu for the options to mess with, and I couldn't find them. So I selected the "High" video preset and started up a quick battle to test it out (assuming that HDR would be enabled on the higher presets).

Instead of being greeted with graphical awesomeness, I was greeted with a flickering screen whenever I moved or rotated my camera in any way. It was like the HDR was flickering in intensity and strength, and it hurt my eyes to look at it for very long. Here is a video to show what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vLcnayItUI
The flickering is 100x more noticeable than that video, but it gives you an idea of what the problem is. It was like my computer was trying to give me a seizure

Futher more, I was greeted with everything turning blue as soon as I tried to zoom in by pressing the shift key:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyck2AOtAvM

I am quite befuddled as to why this happens, the only thing I can tell you is that the flickering seems to be related to the sun in game and any thing that obstructs its view, as it seems to flicker less when there is nothing in front of its light. I am also really confused as to where the HDR settings are supposed to be in my video settings. I have seen people mention some settings before, but I have no idea where they are supposed to be.

Before you say anything, I am already updated to the latest drivers for everything, and my computer does not have any problems with games other than the one I am describing to you now.

Here are my Specs:

Windows XP 32bit
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
Nvidia 7900GT
2GB OCZ DDR2 ram

Well I see no such option in the ingame menu. This is what I see in the video settings menu:
mb14.jpg

Mine:
mb1-1.jpg

Strange that it's not showing up for you.
Maybe the options shown depend on hardware? Still would be somewhat strange.

SupaNinjaMan said:
wait, are you depth effects turned on?
i thought that only worked on dx10.

You can´t choose DX10 to my knowledge, so I assume they havent added the option and it will automatically choose DX9 or DX10 if chose DX9?

I'm playing on a laptop wit integrated graphics and I don't have an HDR option either.
So, either it's hardware or driver related I guess.

SupaNinjaMan said:
wait, are you depth effects turned on?
i thought that only worked on dx10.

I have depth effects enabled on XP 32 bits and don't have the slightest issues. Everything is on its maximum actually. On a 8800 GTS 512 without the latest drivers (using 182.50). Does M&B really handle dx10 anyway?

And to the OP, I don't get why your menu looks different.

Menjoo said:
Stupid question:
What are those Depth effects anyway?

I think they are realistic viewing. When you zoom in, things in the foreground become blurry, zoom out and the background becomes blurry, but foreground is clear. Thats what I think they are, not sure though.

As to the issue at hand. You can only use Depth effects and HDR if you have the appropriate hardware and OS. If you do not see an option to enable/disable HDR, then your GPU is not compatible. Depth effects require DX10/11 thus meaning you need Vista or Windows7 to use them.

Ahh, no, wrong. HDR requires shader model 3.0 to be compatible on the videocard. I know for a fact that my videocard supports SM3.0, the options should be there.

And afaik depth effects don't need DX10 or 11. That is just silly. Many games I have run in the past I have depth effects running, including such games as Unreal Tournament 3, which I dare say is much more advanced in the graphics department than Mount and Blade. And M&B doesn't even support DX10 or 11, because if it did you would be able to select the mode in the start up options. Which you can't.

This is just odd in my opinion, simply put, my computer easily supports the stuff necessary to run HDR, which means if what you are saying is true, the options should be there. I do have the latest drivers installed for my video card. What I do find odd is that when I try to run it on the high preset, it seems like it is trying to enable HDR, but there is a problem or something, hence the flickering and the blue screen when I try to zoom in by pressing shift.

Anyway, I shall try to turn off depth of field to see if that fixes the blue screen problem, it seems the most logical explanation.

Back
Top Bottom