[BUG] Combatants not recognizing defenses

Users who are viewing this thread

I joined an army that attacked an enemy siege camp and the city defenses joined us to attack the camp. All our troops spawned inside the city walls, behind the city walls (not on them) and proceeded to slam their faces into the walls of the towers and into the gate. All the siege army's troops slammed their faces into the front gate, but did not attack it in any way. The siege army began alternating between running endlessly into the front gate and running endlessly into the left wall. Eventually I opened the two front gates for the city army. This caused them to recognize a new path and swarm through it as they all charged. Because the city army had numbers, they quickly pushed the siege army back. The siege army's reinforcements showed up, but failed to recognize their own barricades, and began running into them endlessly.

I feel like spawning inside the city (when the army attacked the siege camp from outside the city) is probably a bug. The armies not having a siege battle setup may also have been a bug. The armies not recognizing any defenses on either side was most definitely a bug. Also, I noticed there's no way to order a selection of troops to "man the walls" so to speak. This doesn't seem like a bug, but may need to be addressed. That said, I'm sure being able to set up before the battle like in most battles involving a city would have been enough to fix that problem.

Some mods did this in Warband. It usually means that the pathing for the map is not well done.

I don't think it's that, because I've fought actual sieges on the same town maps and it worked just fine. I think the AI just doesn't realize that the sally battles are on the siege maps and just treats it like a normal battle without realizing there's walls and stuff.

Sounds like they need an extra AI setup for sallies where the besiegers defend and the garrison actually moves out the gates.

Is there even a mechanic for opening gates instead of just destroying them, lol?

Ah, okay. I've only ever been on the offense in a siege/sally battle. AI always just runs away if I'm in the settlement, and breaking into the settlement costs way more troops than just attacking the besieging army most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom