Budget gaming build

Users who are viewing this thread

TARDIS

Master Knight
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7ZB9t6

I'm not sure if the i3 is a good pairing with the 750ti. Coming from playing exclusively on integrated graphics, I'm just looking to get 30-60 fps on med-high settings for games like ArmA 3 and Warband. Most I would spend would be under $900 USD. Recommendations, please.

$900 should be enpugh to stick the standard gaming i5 - x570(k) with a Nvidia x60 or AMD equivalent. You'll destroy Arma with that processor and make it look quite nice at the same time.

Alternatively you could wait until you have around $300 more and stick only the best stuff in there, probably a low i7 with a Nvidia 780 Ti or AMD R9 290. That will kick some serious ass, especially if you take advantage of the increased overclocking headroom of the i7.

So far, I bought the mobo, case and OS. I'm going to get the i5, and wait for better deals on a gpu. Though, I'm not sure if 430W will be sufficient enough later down the line. Is 500 good?

I've got a 650W I believe which powers everything I have without issue. It's a top tier GPU with a mid-high CPU. 430W won't be enough, especially if it's not a high quality PSU.

Board:
Asus Z97I-PLUS
Did you already by this one? If yes, can you send it back? The Z97 chipset is for overlocking, which can only be done with CPUs having a "k" in their name. Get a (much) cheaper H97 (for Haswell Refresh CPUs) or H87 (for older Haswells) chipset.

PSU: Also, from what I've read in the past few months since building my own computer,  a 500W PSU should be sufficient for most but dedicated high-end builds. If you want to stick with an i3 and the 750ti you can even go for lower wattage. Also get a high quality 430-500W PSU rather than a cheap 600-or-whatever-strong PSU. PSUs also won't be as efficient (meaning 80+ is worthless) if they are overpowered. You'll possibly need stronger PSUs for dual-gpu setups or overclocking ambitions. Quality (=safety) still is the most important thing here, though.

CPU: The i3s are fine for most older games that only utilise two cores. I guess Arma III would benefit from a stronger CPU. An i5 (those have four cores) should be fine for most modern games, though. For even higher tier you could choose between i5 4670K/4690K (the latter being better), i7 4770k/4790k (same) for overclocking or a Xeon if you don't want to overclock.

GPU: The 750ti is a low-to-mid-end card and very energy-saving due to its modern chip. It's totally fine for warband, but probably not for Arma 3. I don't know about the american market, but over here, AMD cards have a much better price-performance-ratio than NV cards. You might thing about getting a R9 270/270x/280/280x.

I hope that helps. :wink:

Just an update for anyone still interested. I purchased the i5 4670k and I'm going to have a tech buddy of mine overclock it for me. As for the gpu, I'm going for either the GTX 760 or amd equivalent, but it's still up in the air. Overall purchase total would be around $900-1000.

In Vain said:
Board:
Asus Z97I-PLUS
Did you already by this one? If yes, can you send it back? The Z97 chipset is for overlocking, which can only be done with CPUs having a "k" in their name. Get a (much) cheaper H97 (for Haswell Refresh CPUs) or H87 (for older Haswells) chipset.

No it is not. A board will determine how well it can overclock the CPU and these boards usually come with a very high premium. Z97 is just the latest version of the 1155 chipset, you can still get good H97 boards or even B75 boards that can overclock as good or better.

In Vain said:
PSU: Also, from what I've read in the past few months since building my own computer,  a 500W PSU should be sufficient for most but dedicated high-end builds. If you want to stick with an i3 and the 750ti you can even go for lower wattage. Also get a high quality 430-500W PSU rather than a cheap 600-or-whatever-strong PSU. PSUs also won't be as efficient (meaning 80+ is worthless) if they are overpowered. You'll possibly need stronger PSUs for dual-gpu setups or overclocking ambitions. Quality (=safety) still is the most important thing here, though.

My GPU alone can push more than 400w if I push it hard enough, 80+ is still good to have since it can determine how good your power supply is but if you are buying one for the energy savings that would be abysmal (just buy the cheapest good brand you can find).

In Vain said:
CPU: The i3s are fine for most older games that only utilise two cores. I guess Arma III would benefit from a stronger CPU. An i5 (those have four cores) should be fine for most modern games, though. For even higher tier you could choose between i5 4670K/4690K (the latter being better), i7 4770k/4790k (same) for overclocking or a Xeon if you don't want to overclock.

GPU: The 750ti is a low-to-mid-end card and very energy-saving due to its modern chip. It's totally fine for warband, but probably not for Arma 3. I don't know about the american market, but over here, AMD cards have a much better price-performance-ratio than NV cards. You might thing about getting a R9 270/270x/280/280x.

I3s aren't all to great for gaming and would only get worse with time as most games now move to use more cores.

reTARDIS said:
Just an update for anyone still interested. I purchased the i5 4670k and I'm going to have a tech buddy of mine overclock it for me. As for the gpu, I'm going for either the GTX 760 or amd equivalent, but it's still up in the air. Overall purchase total would be around $900-1000.

I would go with AMD since they are simply better performance for the money, refer to this article when you are about to purchase :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

The more I read about the AMD cards, the more attractive they seem. I also opted for the i5 4690k instead. Man, **** having spending money. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom