Brytenwalda: Viking Expansion (Wish List, Debate, Etc) - Not Official

Users who are viewing this thread

Something that would be annoying, but add realism, would be needing something to drink on sea voyages. This would be cool in regular  Brytenwalda, but especially if a viking expansion were implemented, because I can only imagine there would be a greater reliance on ships.

Maybe you could even choose to go cheap and just grab plain water on a voyage, possibly making the crew sick as the voyage drags on, or opt to spend more money and be safe by buying some sort of alcohol, which couldn't go bad over long voyages. I think it wouldn't be that hard to do, since the basics are already there in the game with the way food works.

Not a major addition to the game, but just a small thing to add realism.

I think the most vital thing missing from Brytenwalda and most other mods is the system of equipping your soldiers. I suggest using the WW2 China mod as a guide while implementing a system of equipping and upgrading soldiers. As it exists currently, you can upgrade a guy to curaidh for some pieces of gold even though you yourself may not be able to buy the armor he wears. funny . . ur supposed to be his lord and all you know . . i dont think there is one good example of a self-respecting military commander in ancient times who went to battle with equipment that was inferior than one of his own soldier (or alternatively, no soldier in his right mind would join a lord who had ****tier equipment than him).

Implementing a system of upgrading soldiers who have attained the required exp level with weapons and armour either bought at their market value which is bound to be very expensive . . or looted from dead enemies would ensure that :-
1.) the game becomes even more uber-realstic
2.) avoids the irony of a richer man giving his oath of fealty to a poorer lord when he can find his fame elsewhere
3.) makes the satisfaction of taking down an elite or hard warband much more enjoyable as you know that now your troops will also be getting their hands on those weapons and will be tougher to kill and better killers in the next battle.

Also, a baggage train to carry all that loot and availability of 60-70 percent of the actual equipment of the enemy after the battle has been won would have to be implemented (like its bin done in the WW2 China mod - go check it out first pls)

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Would like to see periodic "invasions" of Vikings every few weeks (in in-game time).
6-10 boats with crews of 50-80 men. Would be nice to recreate the chaos of the times.

QFE on this, and would be extra awesome to find this on day 1000 perhaps, or late in the game, to give someone with their own kingdom something to do while theyre almost done "beating the game".

This would be an awesome expansion for the Brytenwalda mod.

Because you already have the map (just need a bit of Denmark and Norway added to it and perhaps a small part of Sweden just for me :wink: )

The units of the invasion era werent so different from the Brytenwalda era.

But wait you could make it the year 1065 during Edward the Confessors era and continue onto the Norman invasion under Guillaume le Bâtard (William the Conqueror) now that would be awesome to :smile:

fidelspikes said:
I think the most vital thing missing from Brytenwalda and most other mods is the system of equipping your soldiers. I suggest using the WW2 China mod as a guide while implementing a system of equipping and upgrading soldiers. As it exists currently, you can upgrade a guy to curaidh for some pieces of gold even though you yourself may not be able to buy the armor he wears. funny . . ur supposed to be his lord and all you know . . i dont think there is one good example of a self-respecting military commander in ancient times who went to battle with equipment that was inferior than one of his own soldier (or alternatively, no soldier in his right mind would join a lord who had ****tier equipment than him).

Implementing a system of upgrading soldiers who have attained the required exp level with weapons and armour either bought at their market value which is bound to be very expensive . . or looted from dead enemies would ensure that :-
2.) avoids the irony of a richer man giving his oath of fealty to a poorer lord when he can find his fame elsewhere
3.) makes the satisfaction of taking down an elite or hard warband much more enjoyable as you know that now your troops will also be getting their hands on those weapons and will be tougher to kill and better killers in the next battle.

Also, a baggage train to carry all that loot and availability of 60-70 percent of the actual equipment of the enemy after the battle has been won would have to be implemented (like its bin done in the WW2 China mod - go check it out first pls)

i would just LOVE this feature. It would be great if we were able to buy better equipment for our troops. It would be a natural process to troop progression in a way. Imagine having to buy 100 crossbows in to outfit your troops. It wouldnt be as easy as just selecting a random upgrade. A rich Lord would naturally have well equipped troops

Any way a fyrd system could be implemented into M&B? English lords have the opportunity to quickly recruit a lot of low tier units, but only to their fiefs and the units have a constant detrimental effect on party morale until they are disbanded.

gameqb11 said:
fidelspikes said:

i would just LOVE this feature. It would be great if we were able to buy better equipment for our troops. It would be a natural process to troop progression in a way. Imagine having to buy 100 crossbows in to outfit your troops. It wouldnt be as easy as just selecting a random upgrade. A rich Lord would naturally have well equipped troops

not to mention getting gear from loot. Would be amazing, though a total rebalance.

Raid system. Borrow from Vikingr. My life would be complete.

YourStepDad said:
gameqb11 said:
fidelspikes said:

not to mention getting fear from loot. Would be amazing, though a total rebalance.

Raid system. Borrow from Vikingr. My life would be complete.

While extremely amazing, it would also require a far better way of getting tons of money, like for example making fiefs like cities give at least 20k per week, and making the loot a TON more valuable. Otherwise, if you have to spend 10k to upgrade an allit, you're gonna die of old age before they reach heavy inf status.....

Right now the things are pretty balanced in terms of numbers. As in it takes like 3 weeks to get 40-50k, but you spend 10-20k to upgrade troops. Which is like 50%. It would just be a matter of adding some zeroes to the whole equation, which would subtract from gameplay value

Cheers

First of, let me just say... I love this mod. Love it. The amount of pain-staking detail that went into it is inspiring. In Native I almost never take the time to walk the city streets... here, I almost never auto-buy anymore.

Now, while the Saxon invasion of Britain is a great time in history, Viking are definitely my favorite culture. Let's face it, they're the Spartans of the Dark Ages. Even today, I'd say manliness ia measured on a scale of 1 to Viking, with 1 being Justin Bieber.

So, I fully support a Viking mod and I would gladly lend my skills as an English teacher and amateur linguist to corrent and write dialogue. I'm a bit of a nitpick when it come to the language in mods (and oh, how often a good mod annoys me with bad English.)
Also, on another note, I'd like to congratulate those who take an interest in language accuracy (Letissier, grattis för writing the man's name as Guillaume le Bâtard).

There have already been submitted some great ideas, and I especially like the one about equipping your men (maybe a system similar to WFaS mercenaries?)

What attracted me about the Vikings was the opportunity a grizzled warrior had to become king of his own patch of newfound land (get it? get it?) so what I'd like to see is you start off with a healthy warband of not-so-well-equipped but angry Norse raiders, establish a basecamp and raid, pillage and plunder till you've gathered enough coin and mercenaries to take your own town and establish your very own Viking kingdom. Maybe you could pay tribute to other vikings or saxons to lend you military aid against other foes.

(Edit: I know it wouldn't be 'entirely' historically accurate but if you can't get a chance to change a bit of history, then what's the points?)

This could mean a revamping of some diplomatic functions, say the ability to hire mercenary lords with their armies, giving them orders "you there, Saxon, take that castle and it's yours and remember to pay the rent", etc. But either way, I think it's important that you be "Da Boss". It may sound easy, but I think it'd actually make the game a tad more difficult... not having a whole kingdom to support you. Plus, the idea of going from a few boats of angry Svenner to an actual feudal kingdom with serfs and levies and lords and húskarlar. Ohhh, could I get this mod now, please? I'm already itching to play it.

Letissier said:
This would be an awesome expansion for the Brytenwalda mod.

Because you already have the map (just need a bit of Denmark and Norway added to it and perhaps a small part of Sweden just for me :wink: )

The units of the invasion era werent so different from the Brytenwalda era.

But wait you could make it the year 1065 during Edward the Confessors era and continue onto the Norman invasion under Guillaume le Bâtard (William the Conqueror) now that would be awesome to :smile:

Setting it in 1065 would make ALL the work made so far obsolete.

I liked brytenwalda very much but there are few things i didnt like so i tell em here:

after 100 days or more ur armies grow up to 200 soldiers or more and enemies, that makes fight difficult because every time i have to repeat battle because you can have maximum 50 soldiers in one battle, now i have good pc capable of runing lots soldiers in map and i would like to have 100 soldiers or more in battle without restarting battle over and over with 250 or 500 soldiers for 10 times until is over.
So i need alot soldiers in 1 battle to finish it faster.

Also i would like to change animation of combat because when i swing from right it usually miss or stuck because i cant swing of my friendly troops.
So changing animation combat would be cool, and i try to change but i dont know how to change those animations or i would do it myself.

There are some funny things in brytenwalda when i get message that my wife is cheating me with another bard and child 80% is not mine, that make me laugh so hard and reminded me on other game Crusader Kings which is also good game.

I dont have much expirience with mods but i chaged sounds make lots new sounds in brytenwalda with more natural sounds of wind , rain, birds, jungle, stepe, thunder, sea and so on and now looks really cool and realistic.
If only i can upload it somehow.

Anyway keep up good work!

It would be great if the coasts would be inhabited by Vikings, and if they would regularly raid the surrounding countryside or sail the ocean with their Longships while they sunk Caravans :smile:

a Viking continuation of Brytenwalda would be very nice :grin:

I just finished reading Bernard Corwell's a Death of Kings and I"m itching for a viking expansion!

Played some Vikingr but might have to just play some Brytenwalda to tide me over. :smile:

I don't know how people would feel losing direct control of the precious virtual army but it would be really cool to just have the coastal regions a distant speck until you go to a port and "Secure passage to the mainland for X amount of money" this would mean that a bunch of random events could occur: ( Shipwrecked, muitny, hunger, sickness, etc) and time just automatically passed like 2-5 months depending on whether conditions and time of year set out. When you arrive Britan becomes the distant speck and the new map is zoomed in instead...only problem I can really think of is how other parties would travel..also don't even know if engine would allow it

Back
Top Bottom