Brytenwalda Repolished 1.05 (updated July 15/2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

I do not know if it is an issue with Brytenwalda or was introduced in some component of Repolished, but it seems like every time I go to the mead hall in Grantebrycge there is a farmer from Tatessete looking for help with an infestation of bandits.  I've cleaned them out about 5 times but next time I go into that mead hall, there he is again winging about the bandits.

kraggrim said:
Brujoloco, please let me know if theres stuff I should be ignoring or focusing on, we're ending up with quite a list here!

The underside of the straw roof on this prop probably needs re-done. The wooden beams on it also seem to disapear for me at longer distances.
z9zwC.jpg

LOL this is Great! So much stuff to do XD , at this stage we just need to fix odd map/scene things. Im currently halfway through Ireland and going strong. Cleaned that map bridge off the weeds, looks much better now. Working on the others too, takng a small break  :smile:

The Moonwalking bug is something I even experienced in vanilla, never understood what was that about. The map you experienced it can you edit the scene? Check if there are weird holes at the edges? If you experience it on all maps, then its a memory issue? AI code goes bonkers after some time playing? Hmmm, if we could replicate the issue at will, might give us an idea what causes it ... Wonder what it will be ...

Rest as usual is amazing detail work, which, I will happily fix, guess patch will be delayed as it is right now, theres a LOT of things to fix.

So keep noticing stuff you think might be amiss, the list will grow, but eventually we will reach the end of it!  :grin:

Once all scenes are taken back to normal  I will release them so you can quick check them, I should be finishing most of them today or tomorrow.

Persnychite said:
I do not know if it is an issue with Brytenwalda or was introduced in some component of Repolished, but it seems like every time I go to the mead hall in Grantebrycge there is a farmer from Tatessete looking for help with an infestation of bandits.  I've cleaned them out about 5 times but next time I go into that mead hall, there he is again winging about the bandits.

The quest updates once you clear a village? Check your quest log. Do you get the odd script clash upon completing a village quest?

For the moonwalk bug here's Duin Caillen, where it happened most recently. Couldn't see any weird holes. If it's a memory issue, could edit-mode be exacerbating it?
I had heard having a big battle-size is what causes it but I have it even just at 150.
iU7VE.jpg
Duin Caillen has the same prop issues as Dun Nechtain in my last post btw, but without the snow.

Talking about battle size, had a wee issue with the Dun Iasgach siege scene when battle size is set above 150.
Fh5OE.jpg
I always get a couple of feckers spawning inside the wall under this spawn point, distracts half my troops who can't get to them. Not a big deal since I can change battle size, but any ideas?

Monidh Crobh, some trees to the right (as you're going up the hill) need raised a bit.
lwuPB.jpg
However, I've been doing some checking, and I don't think there should be any trees that look like this in Britain and Ireland. Not in 636.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trees_of_Great_Britain_and_Ireland#Native_trees

Closest might be a scots pine:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scots+pine&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9X57VIWCIo3pasuUgfgO&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643
I might be very wrong, so don't go deleting all the trees just yet :smile:.  I'll maybe make a thread in the historical questions forum.

kraggrim said:
For the moonwalk bug here's Duin Caillen, where it happened most recently. Couldn't see any weird holes. If it's a memory issue, could edit-mode be exacerbating it?
I had heard having a big battle-size is what causes it but I have it even just at 150.
iU7VE.jpg
Duin Caillen has the same prop issues as Dun Nechtain in my last post btw, but without the snow.

Talking about battle size, had a wee issue with the Dun Iasgach siege scene when battle size is set above 150.
Fh5OE.jpg
I always get a couple of feckers spawning inside the wall under this spawn point, distracts half my troops who can't get to them. Not a big deal since I can change battle size, but any ideas?

Monidh Crobh, some trees to the right (as you're going up the hill) need raised a bit.
lwuPB.jpg
However, I've been doing some checking, and I don't think there should be any trees that look like this in Britain and Ireland. Not in 636.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trees_of_Great_Britain_and_Ireland#Native_trees

Closest might be a scots pine:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scots+pine&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9X57VIWCIo3pasuUgfgO&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643
I might be very wrong, so don't go deleting all the trees just yet :smile:.  I'll maybe make a thread in the historical questions forum.

Hmmm, we could try checking a vanilla old brytenwalda, pre-graphics pack. So no Pines in old great Britain? lot´s of Deleting to do then  :grin:

Might give a closer look at that native enhanced flora pack proposed a few posts ago then.

Well, jacobhinds pointed out we could just swap out the model for another one, rather than hunting and replacing them all.

There's a few in vanilla Brytenwalda, but I'm pretty sure there should be none, or close to it.
fjn2N.jpg
OR-o8.jpg

The hut prop from earlier, could the roof be replaced with something like this? It's on all the other huts, looks a lot nicer.
z9zwC.jpg
nWp2g.jpg

Monidh Crobh mead hall, torch is floating from the wall a bit, and the thin middle beam on both sides needs extended to the end of the room.
5NoP3.jpg

Dun Bolge siege spawning is a bit awkward. Defenders start outside on the opposite side, then run around and in through the front doors, squeezing past the attackers who are going the same way!
WcLhS.jpg
4i9wo.jpg
Tried putting a door on the other side and joining the ai mesh, seemed to work ok.
bvSnP.jpg

kraggrim said:
Well, jacobhinds pointed out we could just swap out the model for another one, rather than hunting and replacing them all.

There's a few in vanilla Brytenwalda, but I'm pretty sure there should be none, or close to it.
fjn2N.jpg
OR-o8.jpg

The hut prop from earlier, could the roof be replaced with something like this? It's on all the other huts, looks a lot nicer.
z9zwC.jpg
nWp2g.jpg

Monidh Crobh mead hall, torch is floating from the wall a bit, and the thin middle beam on both sides needs extended to the end of the room.
5NoP3.jpg

Dun Bolge siege spawning is a bit awkward. Defenders start outside on the opposite side, then run around and in through the front doors, squeezing past the attackers who are going the same way!
WcLhS.jpg
4i9wo.jpg
Tried putting a door on the other side and joining the ai mesh, seemed to work ok.
bvSnP.jpg

I found the culprit for all the proliferation of Pines in Ol´Britain .

xtree_meshes_b.brf from the "unoficial graphics pack patch" has as a small rock replacement that can create not one but 3 types of pine :razz:

Was wondering why there were so many little pines all over the place.

I don´t think these should exist in the original map. Instead of switching textures or going scene by scene replacing them, I am just going to replace that texture/mesh with another more rock like and remove the tree ones. Too many pines!

This should not take long ... will report later :smile:

Edit: So far that does the trick globally, might have to recheck all maps for a bit odd rock now, but much less work.

I could OBLITERATE all Pines off Britain with a simple tree mesh replacing hmmm ....

Will probably replace them with a more common looking oak

Edit2: Yep, that did the trick, Pines should be super rare now, perhaps in snow maps in Fortriu lands? Not many snow covered trees to play with

Scene Revision Check: (in progress)
Rath Clochair  (scn
Rath Cormac
Aileach (T) (scn 33 C)
Dun Sebuirge (scn 72X)
Magh Rath
Ath Cormac
Ath Na Foraire  - (scn 75X)

Brujoloco said:
The quest updates once you clear a village? Check your quest log. Do you get the odd script clash upon completing a village quest?

Actually, the quest log was clearing when I completed the quest.  I don't recall seeing any script errors upon completing the quest. 

I just fired-up the game again and played a few weeks -- of course the farmer DID NOT re-appear now, so maybe something transient going on previously. I was not following the same pattern of play as earlier where I was doing the salt/stone/silver/mineral trade-route between Wales and the southern parts of the island, and had been clearing a lot of other infestations so maybe that was part of it.

I'll make a point of checking for script errors if this starts again, I'd even think that I had been imagining the whole thing if I didn't have a village with 30-odd supportive relation sitting there with only bandit busting for a little over 100 turns...

Persnychite said:
Brujoloco said:

Actually, the quest log was clearing when I completed the quest.  I don't recall seeing any script errors upon completing the quest. 

I just fired-up the game again and played a few weeks -- of course the farmer DID NOT re-appear now, so maybe something transient going on previously. I was not following the same pattern of play as earlier where I was doing the salt/stone/silver/mineral trade-route between Wales and the southern parts of the island, and had been clearing a lot of other infestations so maybe that was part of it.

I'll make a point of checking for script errors if this starts again, I'd even think that I had been imagining the whole thing if I didn't have a village with 30-odd supportive relation sitting there with only bandit busting for a little over 100 turns...

Ahhh interesting ... From what I have been able to gather so far, most script/AI issues in Brytenwalda, either vanilla or repolished are fixed with a quick exit to desktop and then relaunch the game and play normally. Degradation over time seems to occur as an issue with either memory leaks or the scripts breaking after time, I have seen some script breaking in other mods if time passes too fast/too slow by making the game pass time as you wait in a fixed spot, so it gives me a reason to believe the huge amount of scripts in Brytenwalda can "break" after a while for esoteric reasons I don´t fully comprehend and I leave to other more qualified modders to answer  :mrgreen:

Glad to hear the tree issue is sorted :smile:.

Duin Ollaigh siege: AI mesh needs tweaked a little here to stop some attackers catching on rocks.
sSpcT.jpg
Strange field of bones at defender reinforcement spawn point. Might want to check vanilla, see if its supposed to look like that.
SZaMI.jpg
EDIT: Duin Ollaigh vanilla:
mZZfJ.jpg
Y3L_K.jpg

Dun At siege: Defenders reinforcements take inefficient route (red line), have to squeeze past archers, slows them down.
cjPYX.jpg
Archers don't seem to fire when attackers are on ladder, maybe there's something you can do.
83IGl.jpg
AI mesh near defender spawn needs tweaked ever so slightly to stop dudes getting stuck on right hand wall.
413Fl.jpg

Dun Aberte siege: a few defenders end up outside walls:
WMxdX.jpg
Also attackers mostly ignore right hand ladder, could maybe tweak. Defenders don't defend top of that ladder so it balances out at the minute anyway.

Suggestion: I was thinking Cantabar Luventus mercenaries should maybe have the armour and/or helmet boxes ticked. They cost 2000 scillingas each, they should be able to at least put a tunic on!

Edit 2: Dun Sebuirge (northeast ireleand) siege scene: Another field of bones left of the attacker spawn, and some tree fragments in the hills behind.
H_thL.jpg
E1fHY.jpg

Edit 3: The camp scene probably needs some work. We have those same straight lines on the ground:
s5WTD.jpg
And the AI mesh is a bit wonky:
2wQrR.jpg
Also, there's no grass at all!

The tents don't really hold up to the quality of the rest of the mod, could do with a replace/retexture. I had a quick search for OSP tents but couldn't find anything. The Sclavinia guys have some nice stuff, to give you some inspiration:
m4px.jpg
pvp1.jpg
k3br.jpg

Edit 4: The camp-attack scene is different from the camp-inspection scene, so that will need edited too. It has big chunks of AI mesh missing in one corner too, though probably not important.
PTjEa.jpg

Edit 5: Last one for tonight: The camp-entrenched-defense scene.
AI mesh doesn't fit to the stake wall near the entrance. The entrance is maybe a bit wide, didn't confer much of a tactical advantage when I tested.
83Mne.jpg
Trees growing through this shelter.
_dhug.jpg

Currently viewing last touches to HUGE SCENE rework, been a whole week, just looking around scenes, tweaking things.

As a last minute deal taking into consideration the Cantabrian merc troops to at least have Armor  :grin:

Aslo fixing some ai meshes Kraggrim kindly reported as being odd.

Field of Cattle Bones in some scenes is actually ... interesting. I always believed they were the leftover cattle that died due to the siege and not enough food!

Never saw a reason to retouch. I have already taken a considerable amount of artistic liberties in several scenes anyway, will leave like that.

Also I managed to eradicate ALL PINES from England and Ireland. If you see any consider it a mutant species of proto-irish pine.

There are still 3 Scenes that have the wonky border flora that looks sideways:

Dun Sebuirge
Alt Clut
Din Tagel

No matter what I do in the terrain borders .brf´s they still pop that ugly broken sideways texture.

AFTER A LOT OF calm searching I found out for SOME reason, those 3 scenes never call upon the border .brf´s and still use the Vanilla Warband TREE.DDS FROM SOMEWHERE I CANT FIND! It´s driving me crazy  :cry:

It doesnt call on op_terrain_borders.brf nor op_terrain_borders_b.brf . Is there a third border .brf I am not aware of? If anyone can help me I will gladly give you a cookie!

Brute force way would be to force all Map trees to use a different named tree.dds , and delete it, since those scenes call upon tree.dds to paint that broken piece of pseudo-flora.

Anyone knows what files rely on tree.dds? Wondering if I could just wipe out the Brytenwalda tree.dds out of existence and replace with a custom texture, so far I have seen it only gives background trees to the map besides the old way of giving background trees to border terrains in scenes. Anything else uses that particular texture? (tree.dds)

Halp!  :oops:

Will give it a try by making a new call in the map trees brf and see if NOTHING else calls upon the tree.dds . Don´t want to break anything  :grin:

I have also managed to fully individualize each traveler , bard and ransom broker in faces/gear (some were left vanilla , less than a handful)

Nothing new to report, besides the fact I don´t think i will be keeping a small submod besides the standalone. Too much work for me atm, specially now where I simply have changed so much stuff. Not enough time and really want the next version out.  :wink:

Cheers!

PD: Will probably upload next version by the end of the week. Just slowly looking around for small defects randomly in maps.

Brujoloco said:
Field of Cattle Bones in some scenes is actually ... interesting. I always believed they were the leftover cattle that died due to the siege and not enough food!

Good reasoning actually  :smile:. The ones outside were slaughtered by besiegers!

Talking of livestock, we have shepherds, but no sheep! Had a look in OSP forum, nada...Could maybe just rename them to goatherds if no sheep model can be found.
Sheep history:http://www.wildfibres.co.uk/html/sheep_history.html

With regards to the trees, you could ask in the mod development forum/thread.

kraggrim said:
Brujoloco said:

Good reasoning actually  :smile:. The ones outside were slaughtered by besiegers!

Talking of livestock, we have shepherds, but no sheep! Had a look in OSP forum, nada...Could maybe just rename them to goatherds if no sheep model can be found.
Sheep history:http://www.wildfibres.co.uk/html/sheep_history.html

With regards to the trees, you could ask in the mod development forum/thread.

I have kindly asked for more donkey models elsewhere, wonder If I could ask for some sheep to seed randomly in City Interior scenes hehe.

Today I will apply some ideas to finally fix some flora issues on those 3 scenes mentioned before and update a lot of face codes!

Hey Kraggrim, send me a code face you like a ton, go to face modeling screen in edit mode, adjust face to your liking and Press Ctrl-E , try to be as thorough as possible, you have been a ton of help! Will add your face code to an already existing tavern NPC  :grin:

I'll get on the face thing later, right now I have problems!  I've turned the goat model into a fairly passable sheep in Wings3D, but the damn thing won't save. It says Internal error, click mouse button to continue working. Same thing when I try to export as .obj .3ds or whatever. Frustrating.

kraggrim said:
I'll get on the face thing later, right now I have problems!  I've turned the goat model into a fairly passable sheep in Wings3D, but the damn thing won't save. It says Internal error, click mouse button to continue working. Same thing when I try to export as .obj .3ds or whatever. Frustrating.

Try using Blender, I have had no issues there exporting into objs the game can read in the brfs

http://www.blender.org/

Someone asked me how I repolish or polish a game with a duster  :???: , well uh ... this is how , hope it quells your curiosity? I never leave questions unanswered, even if they are weird ones or I don´t understand them very well  :grin:

Secret Dusting Method for Brytenwalda:

QFZONpW.jpg

Tried Blender, a bit intimidating to me, all those buttons! Will go back to it later after some tutorials. Turned out I just needed to run Wings in admin mode.

As is usual with these things, the second sheep is turning out much worse than the first unsaved one!

Edit: Right, sheep model is probably about as good as I can make it, will try a texture tomorrow.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6j1lsx

Hi! Thanks so much for your amazing work.

Quick question--will the new update you are releasing later this week be save game compatible with 1.02? My computer just died, so going to start a new playthrough on either brytenwalda or pendor in the meantime, but don't want to start a brytenwalda campaign that wouldn't be able to use all the wonderful improvements you are making.

Tingyun said:
Hi! Thanks so much for your amazing work.

Quick question--will the new update you are releasing later this week be save game compatible with 1.02? My computer just died, so going to start a new playthrough on either brytenwalda or pendor in the meantime, but don't want to start a brytenwalda campaign that wouldn't be able to use all the wonderful improvements you are making.

Core changes are mostly cosmetic, scene and tree polishing, plus the ram bug fix. You will miss the npc rename/faces/inventory and some troop changes but nothing truly out of the ordinary,and perhaps the ram bug fix.

The safest bet is as usual a new savegame :grin:

This is a sad occurrence in many mods that are being updated, but I would be lying If I told you I am 100% sure there would be no issues with an old savegame, so I'd rather come as being honest and direct than a liar hehe

Hope that quells your curiosity

Cheers and thanks for your support!

Thanks so much! I am going to suppress my eagerness and just wait for your new update then. I want to get the full experience, and really appreciate all the great work you are doing.

By the way, I posted on the moddb forum (and you directed me here) about the releasing prisoners for honor imbalance, and you mentioned that there were other abuses/exploits that one should refrain from using in Brytenwalda. Could you let me know what you think are the 2 or 3 most exploitive things that I should avoid doing? I accidentally ruined an old playthrough by racking up tons of honor releasing prisoners, and I want to establish some good house rules for things I shouldn't do before starting my new run, and maintain good challenge from early to late game.

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom