Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest AMA on reddit

Users who are viewing this thread

If you would like to ask the Brytenwalda team anything then you might want to visit the AMA which is running today and tomorrow on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/3p3h01/mount_blade_ama_iv_brytenwalda_and_viking_conquest/

Lords and Ladies of /r/mountandblade,

Greetings, and welcome to the fourth exclusive AMA Event here on the subreddit!
(comment: the cross out half way down seems to be a feature of this forum)

If you would like to do an AMA in the future, contact Ashley to have it set up.

What's an AMA?
A brief explanation for those unfamiliar.

An AMA stands for Ask Me Anything. It's a format similar to a traditional interview, except people like yourself get to ask the questions.

Feel free to ask about anything, your questions are not restricted to just Mount & Blade or this subreddit. As long as it obeys the rules below, there shouldn't be any problems.

If you would like some examples of what these normally look like, check out /r/IAmA (a fantastic subreddit).

The Gladiators:
These are the people answering the questions.

/u/Adorno_VC - Developer of Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest

/u/Phaiak - Developer of Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest

/u/motomataru - Developer of Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest

/u/CeltiberoCaesar - Developer of Viking Conquest

/u/Elyllon2 - Developer of Viking Conquest
Let's all have fun and enjoy the awesome community we have built together!

79 commentssharesavehidegive goldreport

all 79 comments
sorted by: best
formatting help
reddiquette

[–]HalfkroonFI2 Dev 9 points 1 day ago

A preface before I ask my question; I haven't played Brytenwalda or VC, so please correct me if I presume too much.

Viking Conquest is/was notorious for its rough launch, with lots of bugs, crashes, including bugs that would disallow progression in the story. Could you shed some light on why the launch was this messy? Were you aware of the state of Viking Conquest before release? If you were aware of the bugs, why did you publish VC in that state?

permalinksavereportgive goldreply

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 4 points 1 day ago

Hi Halfkroon! Let me quote what Adorno wrote some time ago:

There are many reasons the launch of this DLC did not go as expected. I must sincerely say we did not push out the release because of pressure from anyone. We had been alpha/beta testing the DLC for about 2 months and considered the DLC fully stable. Yes, it's hard to believe now. The release was promised to be a final, stable version - not an early access, or beta. A finished product. We failed in that regard. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,320739.msg7578203.html#msg7578203

permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 7 points 1 day ago

First, let me say that we had, by my count, around fifty people testing VC before launch, and we had fixed the issues they had reported. Admittedly, we probably had some sign of most problems to come. One tester, for example, didn't have a PC and saw the game crash on a Mac. I tried to follow up unsuccessfully.

It turns out, what seems like a unique problem with fifty people can be a major problem with 100,000, and people rightfully have a much higher expectation of a game on launch than a mod. That was our inexperience.

We placed too much trust in the testers. We assumed no reports and no problems on our machines meant that the "tested" sections of the game were good. Afterwards, we assigned team members to walk every inch of the game.

[–]HalfkroonFI2 Dev 2 points 1 day ago

Is there any way you can elaborate on that statement, now that VC has been stabilised with the Reforged update? Where in the initial process of creating VC do you think the problems originated from?

[–][deleted] 1 day ago

[removed]

[–]TrotsTwatsAshley[S,M] 1 point 1 day ago

Your comment has been removed for violating the rules. Please take note of them in the future.

[–]Adorno_VCBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 1 day ago

I think motomataru has described the basics of it. There should have been a more thorough and organised testing phase. We've certainly learned a lesson on what to do, and what not to do that will be invaluable for projects to come.

[–]Vonbalthazar 3 points 1 day ago

I also have a few questions, first let me say that Brytenwalda and Viking conquest are amazing pieces of mod/DLC for warband, i remember when team brytenwalda ended the developing of the mod you guys made a poll on TW forums for preferred setting for a new project and the end result was VC, do you guys plan to continue developing for M&B in bannerlord once it is released (a new mod or DLC) or are the team done with Mount&Blade and ready to move to other games or even develop a game/join a studio? i ask this just out of curiosity because it would be a shame to lose such a talented team in the M&B community :smile:

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 5 points 1 day ago

Thank you so much, Vonbalthazar. without Brytenwalda mod fans, VC wouldn't be possible. The team is ready to develop a game. The M&B community won’t lose us.

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 4 points 1 day ago

I'm with you: I think of us as a community. As a matter of fact, we did reference that feedback when choosing the subject for our DLC -- Vikings was the top choice.

We've got a great relationship now with Taleworlds, made stronger by working together through that awful release. We helped fix issues with Warband in its evolving state. I sort of pester them to give us the same opportunity to put Bannerlord through its paces!

[–]gdwitt 3 points 1 day ago

Also, why don't you guys expand your mini-franchise and take on some time periods in the dark ages? What obstacles does the VC team face in adapting their mod to the period of Ragnar? Also, why do you charge so little? I would have gladly paid for Reforged. Are you bound by contract to only charge for one DLC?

permalinksaveeditdisable inbox repliesdeletereply

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 6 points 1 day ago

Yes, each DLC would have to go through the same production process.

We did the extra work for Reforged because we felt the players deserved it after the release of Viking Conquest.

[–]HergylKingdom of Nords 4 points 12 hours ago

First and foremost, I want to thank you guys for the wonderful job you did both with VC and Brytenwalda.

I must've clocked in around 200 hours in Brytenwalda before even hearing about VC. I know the latter had a rough start, but I stuck around in hopes you guys would fix everything. Not only you did that but gave us the Reforged Edition, which lets be honest, is an incredible improvement to the base version.

Here are my questions:

1) Who was your historical consultant? As a Scandinavian, I'm very critical of some of the stuff I read in the forums when I still went there, for at the universities I attended, they taught us a very different version of certain details (the whole Dane Axe debate, for example). Also props to Idibil, he's very versed in History from what I've seen.

2) Do you have any future projects, whether for TW (despite not being officially tied to them, as I've read) or on your own? If so, are they historically oriented or will they have a different direction?

3) Do you have any particular good or bad memories that come from the making of both Brytenwalda or VC? As in, some relevantly good or bad events that might have happened during the creation process of the mod and the DLC respectively.

Also, big fan of Adorno and his work. If I had a sister, I'd let him marry her.

[–]Adorno_VCBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 3 points 11 hours ago

We have a historian on the team for VC, but Idibil is also well versed in the era in which VC takes place. We certainly have plans for future projects, and all points to more history based themes. I think our worst experience -can't speak for all of us - is the faulty release of VC, and we were determined to redeem our image.

Thanks. I would have loved to make more scene props, and all scenes historically accurate, but time did not permit it.

[–]wafflelegionKingdom of Nords 3 points 1 day ago

Yay, just when I'm playing my first playthrough of Viking Conquest, the creators themselves have an AMA!

My question: Is there anything that inspired you to specifically create a mod for Dark ages England? Are any of you history buffs of that period? It just seems like an unexpected historical period to make mod for to me.

Love your work!

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 4 points 1 day ago*

Thank you! I asked Idibil who can’t be here in the moment. That’s what he said:

Dark Ages in British Isles are fascinating, a dismal warlike time, in which people fight for survive. A dark age with deep blend of cultures. 6th and 7th centuries were a time when invaders (Saxons, Angles and Jutes) tried hard their destiny in a new world with the steel of their swords, shields and spears. Ancient people tried to resist, while they saw how their kingdoms are defeated and conquest by those “barbarians”, sorrowfully saw how his beloved world slowly disappeared off the face of the earth. Couldn't forget to talk about the Picts also, who have always inspire great interest. Or about West, other island, as complex as Britain, Ireland in which many people were fighting for a piece land, their clans, livestock and supremacy.

In short, it is a world we know a little, but that it is like a magnet for history lovers: a time of war and great deeds, where few (almost none) kings died in his bed.

We love this history stage, and I thought that it would be interesting let other know about.”

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 2 points 1 day ago

We take the history seriously. One of our partners, Marco-Aurelio Balbas, writes books and consults for the movie industry. Many on the team are reenactors.

Of course, that creates a tension when fans are demanding Dane axes in a setting about two centuries before they were in wide use! There's a point where we usually concede to game play.

[–]Jimducky 1 point 1 day ago

Me too.

Watching Vikings at the same too.

[–]DaedraNocturnalCheckerlord 3 points 1 day ago

Will you release the source code for those who bought the DLC? So we can mod more ships and stuff? Some of the features of VC are well done, they would fit in other mods just as well!

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 4 points 1 day ago

I'm very proud of many things we accomplished. I was told waves would be impossible without access to the source code, but Phaiak here with LaGrandmaster persisted and did a great job. I think this game almost does for sailing what Mount and Blade did for horse riding. Dynamic troop tree, standardized camera, sea travel, dynamic bandit party sizes, "clean" shields, the army icons... I'm very much in favor of seeing those in the hands of the community.

And then there's all the Warband fixes, which unfortunately I was in too much of a rush to log. The fix to campaign AI from before, completion of the multiple party type spawn point system... The potential is there with the clean shields solution to replace Native's abandoned custom shields and armor system. Etc.

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 4 points 1 day ago

We plan to release the module system. But the details are not clear yet. Adding new ships will be possible. I once added a huge frigate and I noticed there is room for interesting mods of VC.

[–]gdwitt 3 points 1 day ago

What are your plans for mod development in the next 4-5 months? I see that Idibil (guess) has been punting the expansion question. Is the team disbanding or are you considering something new? I and many others are big fans of the times of Ragnar. What would prevent modifying VC for that specific period?

After all the effort we had setting up the company for this project, believe me, we are not closing shop!

It would be a major project to mod Viking Conquest ahead a generation. Replace all the lords, redo families, ages, and portraits. Extend map to Mediterranean, where Ragnar was active, and add in Franks, Almohads, Iberians, with troops and items.

[–]gdwitt 1 point 1 day ago

had setting up the company for this project, believe me, we are not closing shop!

It would be a major project to mod Viking Conquest ahead a generation. Replace all the lords, redo families, ages, and portraits. Extend map to Mediterranean, where Ragnar was active, and add in Franks, Almohads, Iberians, with troops and items.

I was speccing it out with Brytenwalda and it is quite simple. Change the names and AI a little. Breakdown the VC kingdoms or combine some BW kingdoms. The Vikings would be weaker. No need for a story line as the movie series on History is doing that for us. I have a line of Viking items set aside for a BW upgrade that will never happen. Why can't VC use them?

permalinksaveparenteditdisable inbox repliesdeletereply

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 1 day ago

Our initial pass with VC was that way. We had sons older than their mothers, teenage lords that looked like they were 50 (Harald I of Norway), etc. This is the sort of thing we were rightly criticized for on release. One has to go NPC by NPC and check everything. Skills matching backstory is another common failure in mods.

The petty kingdoms were another challenge. In Norway, we combined them into one faction (therefore two kings). I dislike that dynamic, but otherwise you have Brychieniog getting wiped out the first week of the game.

I see no reason why you couldn't add the items.

[–]gdwitt 2 points 1 day ago

This Qand A is a rare opportunity. I'm currently working on the latest submod for Brytenwalda. I feel that your old mod could use many of improvements from VC. Most of the scripts in BW are well behind Floris source code from 2012 (ex Moto). Is someone there working on a revision of Brytenwalda without publicity? Are you contract bound not to share any expertise from VC work?

Not to my knowledge and no.

[–]gdwitt 2 points 1 day ago

Describe your "company" or "team". Do any of you work together at the same site or is it all distributed? What software do you use to collaborate over distances? How many core code developers are there (the ones that work with scripts, dialogs, triggers, missiontemplates)? Who are the lead core developers based on their taleworlds names? Also, what modding tools do you use that other modders in the community have access tool? I'm thinking of modmerger or Warband Script Enhancer.

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 2 points 1 day ago

What software do you use to collaborate over distances?

Bitbucket and Jira.

How many core code developers are there?

Code: Idibil, motomataru and me of the core team as well as Slawomir of Aaarrghh and JuJu77

Also, what modding tools do you use that other modders in the community have access tool? I'm thinking of modmerger or Warband Script Enhancer.

Neither the one nor the other.

So you did this all long-distance without meetings? Did you use skype or some other mode of communication? How often did you have to go to the Taleworlds team in Turkey for help or approval? Did they provide you any new code or were you most on your own? Do they consider your team an extension of the company (with benefits?) or are you just doing your own thing with their occasional approval and help?

permalinksaveparenteditdisable inbox repliesdeletereply

We are a independent company and not a part of TW in theory as well as in practice. TW answered any of our questions and made several small changes to the engine we requested. Providing regular ms code wasn't part of this support nor we asked for that. About meetings: This worked pretty well digital. And there has been a lot of digital communication.

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 3 points 1 day ago*

We are a tiny company, based in Cantabria but residing in Poland to (then) California. This definitely made some things nigh impossible, like collaborating on graphics, despite Skype and dropbox.

There is excellent software these days that one may license for low cost. Our repository sits in bitbucket. We access it through Git for Windows (old msysgit) and Tortoise Git. Git is distributed, faster on recalls, more flexible on branching, than SVN, in my opinion, though maybe a little harder to get the hang of.

Still looking for a good binary versioning host (bitbucket won't do repositories over 1G). We had insufficient control over checkout, which led to problems with multiple people working on the graphics files.

I'm a big fan of Atlassian, and we use JIRA for issue tracking. We were able to put our testers on one end and TW on the other. Worked great!

Core code developers: idibil, phaiak, daedalus (MP), juju70, lagrandmaster (shaders) and myself. The rest :smile: : Adorno (scenes and related), Brustschwarzen Lenny (textures), CeltiberoCaesar and Leyre (models), Sr. Balbas (2D art). For others, see credits. We rather desperately needed another texturer, but failed to find one to hire.

Modding tools: openbrf. Couldn't use WSE or any other third party code. modmerger we didn't need, as we had little incentive to preserve Native -- though, don't worry, we documented and organized as if someone else might eventually see our code!

[–]produnoAWoIaF Developer 3 points 1 day ago

Firstly I would like to thank you guys for the work you've put forward and continue to for the Mount and Blade community!

When/if the module system gets released for Viking Conquest, what are the stipulations for using parts of it in Warband modules? Obviously a lot of mods would benefit from the enhancements and fixes made in VC.

Also, when you started making VC did you continue on with your Brytenwalda module system or did you decide to start from scratch?

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 3 points 1 day ago

We're finalizing the stipulations.

We started with Brytenwalda. The first order of business was to remove all third-party code. Hence, no Free Lancer. :sad:

Fortunately, the modified code was all well-flagged.

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 3 points 1 day ago*

When/if the module system gets released for Viking Conquest, what are the stipulations for using parts of it in Warband modules? Obviously a lot of mods would benefit from the enhancements and fixes made in VC.

It will be released but the details ain't clear yet.

Also, when you started making VC did you continue on with your Brytenwalda module system or did you decide to start from scratch?

Personally I started from scratch apart from my sea battle code. But I reworked it completely and expanded it a lot.

[–]TrotsTwatsAshley 3 points 1 day ago

I'll start, I suppose.

How did you guys secure a contract to create an official expansion for Mount & Blade: Warband? What was it like and do you have any advice/stories to tell?

What percent of profits does the Brytenwalda Team earn from sale of Viking Conquest, if any?

Do you plan to continue supporting Viking Conquest once Bannerlord is released?

Viking Conquest 2 for Bannerlord, or do you have plans to work on a different project?

[–]CeltiberoCaesarViking Conquest Developer 3 points 1 day ago*

How did you guys secure a contract to create an official expansion for Mount & Blade: Warband? What was it like and do you have any advice/stories to tell? What percent of profits does the Brytenwalda Team earn from sale of Viking Conquest, if any? Do you plan to continue supporting Viking Conquest once Bannerlord is released? Viking Conquest 2 for Bannerlord, or do you have plans to work on a different project?

Hi Ashley, 1-Brytenwalda mod had more than one and a half million downloads in their latest versions. People liked the history and liked to learn while playing, and Taleworlds loves history too, so our paths were destined to meet. They loved the idea of going a step further by creating a DLC based on the Viking Age and a related story Ragnar's sons. 2- I'm afraid we are not allowed to share that information :'( 3- Indeed, the support for VC will remain, but it will progressively decrease until no new tech/balance/bug reports are received. 4-Currently we have some projects in our mind, but it is early to talk about this or announce something.

[–]TrotsTwatsAshley 1 point 1 day ago

Awesome, thanks for the info.

If you wouldn't mind a follow-up question:

Currently we have some projects in our mind and we are deciding which of them will be the chosen one.

Are you planning on creating another module for Warband, or are these ideas from somewhere else?

[–]CeltiberoCaesarViking Conquest Developer 1 point 1 day ago

Creating another module for Warband isn't outside the possibilities, but we are not planning it currently.

\1. Long story. Years ago, needing work, I rewrote Mirathei's formations mod and Native's AI as a sort of proof of expertise. It eventually became the basis for those things in many of the top mods.

Then Snowbird posted a job on the forums. I responded, but was almost too late. They had a scrap project which paid, on the basis of their time estimate, very little. It was a code monkey position, in other words. I realized there were much more important things here than the money, though, and took it. I paid my dues, in other words!

Through that, I got to know Cem at Taleworlds, and it turned out we were great fans of one another's work. After my stint at Snowbird ended, we talked, and the DLC was born out of that.

\2. From my perspective as an author that makes 16% royalty, Taleworlds was very generous. They also went much further than I expected in supporting/expanding Warband with all the demands of Bannerlord development, provided testing (Captain Lust was our nemesis there!), and even jumped in to help us fix the mess after our release. A bunch of terrific (if busy) people in general.

\3. We are contracted to support Viking Conquest for at least five years.

[–][deleted] 1 day ago

[removed]

[–]TrotsTwatsAshley[S,M] 0 points 1 day ago

Your comment has been removed for violating the rules. Please take note of them in the future.

[–][deleted] 1 day ago

[removed]

[–]TrotsTwatsAshley[S,M] 0 points 1 day ago

[–]zehel03Reddit 2 points 1 day ago

I'm glad that you guys stayed to fix stuff in VC.

Are there any major plans for VC? Excluding bug fixes and balancing. The features in reforged were very nice additions.

Also, looking forward seeing these kind of mods in Bannerlord. :smile: Cheers!

Not at this point, although there was a lot of stuff left on the table!

[–]CplAndreaReddit 1 point 1 day ago

The most enjoyable multiplayer mod in your opinion?
    Most wanted feature in Bannerlord?
    The most interesting project by other teams made from ex-M&B modders?

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 1 day ago

Most wanted feature in Bannerlord?

Something I would call "dense atmosphere" in scenes

The most interesting project by other teams made from ex-M&B modders?

For me it is "Peloponnesian War" by Lynores

[–]CozurACoK Dev 1 point 1 day ago

What do you mean by "dense atmosphere"?

Ok, I assume this expression does make much sense in English. - I would say then: Something which makes me want to visit a location without having any gameplay related task to do there. In my opinion Piranha Bytes sometimes did this quite well long time ago.

I think I played cRPG the most. Then I supported their kickstarter campaign.
    Formations & AI, of course!
    The mod I played most was Star Wars Conquest. The AI was developed there. I'm aware of just a tiny pool of commercial projects and have tons of respect for donkey crew.

[–]CplAndreaReddit 1 point 1 day ago*

Lets see if I can help someone today:

Snowbird (made Carribean!)
    Flying Squirrel Entertainment (made Napoleonic Wars and are currently developing Battle Cry Of Freedom)
    Donkey crew (are making Melee: Battlegrounds)
    You guys
    Whoever made With Fire and Sword
    maybe Campfire games (one of the guys made the North&South mod)

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 1 day ago*

Thanks for the refresh. I did check out War of Rights by Campfire a while back (kickstarter campaign?). Very impressive graphics and stunning battlefield recreation! I grew up in Maryland, so it looks like home to me! We'd hike those same battlefields on some very hot and tiring Boy Scouts trips, and the feeling comes back to me when I see their scenes.

It was Snowbird that made With Fire & Sword, in conjunction with Maxim Gorban (Sich), but I think they were Snowberry back then.

[–]Castle_WallsRhodok Sergeant 2 points 1 day ago*

Why aren't we given an option to disable parallax effects, and is there any way that I can disable parallax effects?

~~No reply..?

Somehow I'm not surprised, yet, still disappointed.~~

We're looking into it.

[–]Castle_WallsRhodok Sergeant 2 points 1 day ago

Oh? Good.

I can assure you the largest contributer to performance issues regarding your DLC is the overkill amount of Parallax effects being utilized. If we're given the ability to disable parallax in game, or a guide on how to disable it manually, performance would improve dramatically for a very large portion of the playerbase for your DLC.

Heck, you guys don't even have to let us disable Parallax on water textures. Merely allowing us to disable it on the overview map / land scenes would suffice.

[–]CeltiberoCaesarViking Conquest Developer 2 points 18 hours ago

Hi Castle_Walls. How can you ensure it's that? We already made test without any new shader, using the old Native system, and the performance wasn't that great. I would be very interested to hear your thesis.

PD: Let's keep this polite.

[–]Castle_WallsRhodok Sergeant 1 point 17 hours ago

Parallax shading has an effect on performance on any and every game. If it didn't, those games wouldn't let us disable parallax because there would be no reason to. Mods that appear graphically superior to Viking Conquest (L'Aigle (lowest fps I hit is 27 on 200 man battles)) perform almost twice as well as Viking Conquest, and it has no sign of parallax shading that I can see.

Care to list the specifications of the system you ran the Parallax On / Parallax Off test?

I've only got a Core 2' and a GTX 650 Ti. I will take any performance increase I can get. This much parallax is taxing on an old system like mine, and I think I should say that there are many in the M&B playerbase that have PC's far much worse than mine.

Now, if there is no chance of a parallax disabler update, could you provide a guide on disabling it manually?

Apart from a performance standpoint..

I just don't really like the look of parallax that much.

[–]CeltiberoCaesarViking Conquest Developer 2 points 16 hours ago

Indeed, every improvement comes with a performance cost. In VC your min battle fight is with 150 so I guess that is one of the issues you found, you can't get battles with fewer troops.

Care to list the specifications of the system you ran the Parallax On / Parallax Off test?

Sorry but that's something I can't share. I can tell you it was tested in several very old PC and the performances improvement wasn't higher than 10-15%.

I've only got a Core 2' and a GTX 650 Ti. I will take any performance increase I can get. This much parallax is taxing on an old system like mine, and I think I should say that there are many in the M&B playerbase that have PC's far much worse than mine.

We are aware that some players have PC ready for the Native but are incapable to deal with VC. We have a miscommunication issue at the very beginning of the launch and some players bought the game while they were behind the requirements. For further information about performance issue you can visit the TW forum and the technical support section.

Now, if there is no chance of a parallax disabler update, could you provide a guide on disabling it manually?

I'm afraid I can't, the parallax is something is included in some of the shaders and we have no plans to create new shader versions without them. We are a small team with limited resources.

Is your team organized enough to be called a company? When you say you had a shader "Position" does that mean you needed a volunteer or a paid employee? What % of the small steam fee did you actually keep and distribute? Finally, I don't see any mention of Kalarhan although he is all over the forums. What was his role?

[–]DrinkerOfSkullsSilverstag 1 point 1 day ago

Will we see any more content updates for Viking Conquest similar to Reforged Edition? I would love to see another set of quests added. Also, why no francisas in VC?

In all likelihood, no.

We were trying to limit the scope of the game. The Frisians were an outgrowth of the story; otherwise the Continent would not be in play at all.

[–]CozurACoK Dev 1 point 18 hours ago

Couple of questions:

1: Do you guys listen to any music when coding/texturing, and if so, which music?

2: Did you ever consider using the chest feature to make people explore scenes?

3: Is there anything you know is feasible with the engine, and you would have liked to implement, but never got around to?

4: Derfel or Uhtred?

5: I love the peasants ploughing, fishing, farming etc., in the scenes, adds a great atmosphere. Who was in charge of that/came up with the idea?

[–]CeltiberoCaesarViking Conquest Developer 3 points 18 hours ago

1- Each member of the team had his own working style :razz: Some of us can't work without music and other are quite the opposite hahaha About music style... I personally usually listen some old classic rock :wink: 2- The chest was used in the halls but we didn't consider to make use of them in hidden places on the scenes. 3- Of course there's always something, once you reach a point you put your eye in the next one. But at the end the engine is on its limit and we had to stop ourselves. 4-Derfel 5 The author of such awesome animations was Slawomir.

[–]Adorno_VCBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 17 hours ago

Doobie Brothers and Van Morrison :smile:

[–]CozurACoK Dev 1 point 17 hours ago

The big question though. Derfel or Uhtred?

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 17 hours ago*

3: I was interested in creating a crazy MP mode for VC where you ride on flying brooms and Giants throw cows. I think there are still two item leftovers of this idea in the released build. But seriously: When I told LaGrandmaster that I want to make moving ships on waves he told me it is not feasible in Warband. But we managed to realize it. Just like that many other ideas which seem to be impossible can be implemented. But it will take some time.

5: I love them too and I was very happy when Slawomir of Aaarrghh added them. He did not only a great work with the animations but also with a clever technical implementation.

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 16 hours ago*

No, too distracting.
    Is THAT what they're for? I, too, have always thought the great scenery of M&B is under-utilized, but it's a great effort to seed unique experiences everywhere.
    Well, the custom shields and armor whose basis we started laying, more generally the use of tableaux (think of them as in-game Photoshop) to apply decals, the Total War style GUI where you have an arrow pointing at divisions the mouse is over (practically done, but ran out of time), agent-based AI using cast_ray to determine defender positions at sieges, a whole new set of division commands for sieges "Man Walls" "Sally Forth," in fact, a system that will replace the Native battle menu with whatever a modder might prefer, constant distance and constant speed added to the camera for you movie-makers...
    Who now? :smile:

[–]Emil2205 1 point 17 hours ago

Will you ever make the map bigger, like adding the Baltic region?

[–]Elyllon2Viking Conquest Developer 2 points 17 hours ago

The maps is currently over its limit. No new region will be added and if any mod do, what is possible, will end in a performance issue.

[–]Emil2205 1 point 17 hours ago

Thank you for your quick answer!
Would it be possible to add another way to travel to a new map? Like travelling to the borders of the current map, then you get asked if you want to move and then you come to a new map?

[–]motomataruBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 3 points 16 hours ago

You know, we heard the Swedes had complaints that they weren't included in this game, but they had With Fire & Sword! :wink:

I doubt that solution is feasible. You'd have to somehow swap out map.txt and then replace all parties and the factions/troops that go with them.

[–]Adorno_VCBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 1 point 12 hours ago

I suppose the desire for an expanded map also comes with a desire for more factions. And suddenly it's a big task of overhauling the entire game with new characters, armours, scenes etc.

[–]PhaiakBrytenwalda & Viking Conquest Developer 2 points 16 hours ago

I just wrote in another comment that many ideas which seem to be impossible can be implemented but will take some time. I think it could be possible but it is definitely one of the harder tasks.

[–]gdwitt 1 point 3 hours ago

Your team was probably closer to TW-Turkey than any other mod. Did you get any indication of the language that would be used for BannerLord? Or whether your mod might still be relevant or quickly fixable to be playable after its release? This is very relevant to new modders because the MB script doesn't have many applications and maybe in its final phase of use.

More from my message box:
re: see board post

from motomataru sent 10 days ago

This seems to imply that Bannerlord will have a new mod sys:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/3n7nrj/mount_blade_ama_iii_utrotstwats/cvlshv6

It would probably be possible to write something to convert the mod sys. However, the new mod sys will also have a new structure, in all likelihood.

permalinkreportblock usermark unreadreply

re: see board post

from motomataru sent 12 days ago

I'd say the decision would be a balance of potential time that might be lost versus the time one might guess it would be until BannerLord is released. I don't know much about either.

AMA Questions

from TrotsTwats sent 14 days ago

You are posting far too frequently in the AMA to the point of spamming. Please tone down your number of comments or you will be temp-banned for the duration of the Event.

comment replyMount & Blade AMA IV - Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest

from Phaiak via /r/mountandblade/ sent 14 days ago

show parent

We are a independent company and not a part of TW in theory as well as in practice. TW answered any of our questions and made several small changes to the engine we requested. Providing regular ms code wasn't part of this support nor we asked for that. About meetings: This worked pretty well digital. And there has been a lot of digital communication.

contextfull comments (79)reportmark unread

from motomataru via /r/mountandblade/ sent 14 days ago

show parent

We are a tiny company, based in Cantabria but residing in Poland to (then) California. This definitely made some things nigh impossible, like collaborating on graphics, despite Skype and dropbox.

There is excellent software these days that one may license for low cost. Our repository sits in bitbucket. We access it through Git for Windows (old msysgit) and Tortoise Git. Git is distributed, faster on recalls, more flexible on branching, than SVN, in my opinion, though maybe a little harder to get the hang of.

Still looking for a good binary versioning host (bitbucket won't do repositories over 1G). We had insufficient control over checkout, which led to problems with multiple people working on the graphics files.

I'm a big fan of Atlassian, and we use JIRA for issue tracking. We were able to put our testers on one end and TW on the other. Worked great!

Core code developers: idibil, phaiak, daedalus (MP), juju70, lagrandmaster (shaders) and myself. The rest :smile: : Adorno (scenes and related), Brustschwarzen Lenny (textures), CeltiberoCaesar and Leyre (models), Sr. Balbas (2D art). For others, see credits. We rather desperately needed another texturer, but failed to find one to hire.

Modding tools: openbrf. Couldn't use WSE or any other third party code. modmerger we didn't need, as we had little incentive to preserve Native -- though, don't worry, we documented and organized as if someone else might eventually see our code!

from Phaiak via /r/mountandblade/ sent 14 days ago

show parent

What software do you use to collaborate over distances?

Bitbucket and Jira.

How many core code developers are there?

Code: Idibil, motomataru and me of the core team as well as Slawomir of Aaarrghh and JuJu77

Also, what modding tools do you use that other modders in the community have access tool? I'm thinking of modmerger or Warband Script Enhancer.

Neither the one nor the other.

show parent

Not to my knowledge and no.

show parent

Our initial pass with VC was that way. We had sons older than their mothers, teenage lords that looked like they were 50 (Harald I of Norway), etc. This is the sort of thing we were rightly criticized for on release. One has to go NPC by NPC and check everything. Skills matching backstory is another common failure in mods.

The petty kingdoms were another challenge. In Norway, we combined them into one faction (therefore two kings). I dislike that dynamic, but otherwise you have Brychieniog getting wiped out the first week of the game.

I see no reason why you couldn't add the items.

show parent

After all the effort we had setting up the company for this project, believe me, we are not closing shop!

re: What part of this violates rules? What about the VC question?

Thank you, however, for approaching this in a private message setting. I'm going through and PMing people who had their comments removed to explain the violations.

Feel free to edit your other questions into your follow-up questions and reformulate your first question. Perhaps something like 'are you guys willing to offer support to the people making submods for Brytenwalda?'

re: What part of this violates rules? What about the VC question?

I'm currently working on the latest submod for Brytenwalda. I feel that this old mod could use alot of improvements from VC. Is anyone there willing to comeback and contribute?

You're asking directly for a favor.

show parent

Yes, each DLC would have to go through the same production process.

We did the extra work for Reforged because we felt the players deserved it after the release of Viking Conquest.

Bannerlord talk:
TrotsTwatsAshley
It depends on what you want to do and if you just want to mod Warband. I learned what I know from school and Codecademy. Because Bannerlord will be using C#, now might be a good time to learn.

/u/Windyplains' comments are brilliant gems that drop behind him wherever he goes. Some of my favorites are here, here, over here, and here. He is vastly more cohesive than myself and I know he's happy to help people out.

Besides that, check out the various tutorials and threads over on the Modding Board. You'll find a lot of useful tutorials and tools there. There's probably a tutorial series on YouTube, but I've never checked.

Greetings from germany!
I didn't know where to write this. :smile:
I like the Work you guys are doing and play only warband mods :grin:
But i've got one Problem: Is there a way to merge viking conquest and Brytenwalda? Because Viking Conquest just doesn't feel as good as Brytenwalda. It's only advantage are shipfights and scandinavia.  :wink:

Reddit post was a rare glimpse inside that team.
I think they nearly perfected the Brytenwalda/MB game.
I was hoping they would continue their work into the century before, but I believe it is too much for them.
They apparently received too little income to justify continuing their effort.
They deserve to be working on real, well-paid development projects.
But there are many amateurs who would like to pick up where they left off.

I hope one day parts of the VC code can be released so we can explore history in a much more exciting way.
I am still modding Brytenwalda, but without help from the makers, many of who were on the VC team.
It is very difficult and time-consuming to make small changes in the code because of the convoluted scripting.

Expect a few things to be released around Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom