SP Antiquity Bronze And Blood - a mod for 1.011 (OPINION ON TROOP TREE NEEDED)

Users who are viewing this thread

KhanksGeneral said:
Actually i don't like it really. Becouse it's looks like easy work i guess... But thank you for this work :smile: +rep  :lol:
Not only that there's no rep function in this forum, but you're even judging others while you yourself don't have even a basic idea of how much work goes into something like this?

hi there,

don`t know if you already seen it but there is a very good site about "The Greek Age of Bronze"! I think it could be very usefull and informative for your project. Another two interesting sites are RECONSTRUCTING THE WARRIORS OF THE BRONZE AGE and the Bronze Age Center.

By the way iam also working on an bronze age mini mod but it covers only the region around wilusa (troy) including the landing spot of the achaeans,the city itself and some cities around.

Links:

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/
http://www.larp.com/hoplite/bronze.html
http://s8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/index.php?

good luck

@NikeBG: I do plan on adding the Thracians, but I have to do a lot of research on them.  I know nothing about Bronze Age Thrace.  I don't even know if there are any links between the people living there in the Bronze Age and the Iron Age Thracians.

@siffo998: is the "Greek Age of Bronze" the comic series?  If so, then that is one of my inspirations for making this mod.  And all the links you gave are already in my Favourites list :grin:.  Seems great minds think alike.
Good luck with your own mod.

Currently, I'm implementing the sailing mod.  I've managed to get it all in, but am having a little trouble getting the triggers part working.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Kvedulf said:
@NikeBG: I do plan on adding the Thracians, but I have to do a lot of research on them.  I know nothing about Bronze Age Thrace.  I don't even know if there are any links between the people living there in the Bronze Age and the Iron Age Thracians.
Links - most certainly. The Thracians appeared around 2500 BC and while there were changes among them throughout time (both from internal and external factors), they were essentially the same people. It is even proposed by some Thracologists that they might be a mix of the local Eneolithic population (aka Proto-Thracians), which settled the land not later than 4000 BC, and of later invading steppe tribes.
Otherwise, I'm not very familiar with Thracian history myself and I don't think there's much to be known about this specific period anyway (besides, archaelogical findings and Homer's Illiad and Odyssey), considering this is the end of Prehistory. I did a quick search and most of the information is about the later classical ages, though if you happen to need anything about it, send me a PM to translate whatever I can find (considering most Thracologic research is on Bulgarian and Romanian).

@NikeBG: Thanks for the translating offer.  I think I'll take you up on it when I get round to adding them as a proper faction.  In the meantime, they'll appear as raiding parties, with a combination of Mycenaean equipment and weaponry from cultures further north.

I just got the sailing added to the game.  Still having troubles with the player icon bug, but I'll sort it out eventually.

Now it's on to changing all the lords, their families and adding new claimants.

Then I think I'll try my hand at rigging and armour making.  I've been putting that off for too long.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Oooh a mod about the Trojan War that is going to try to be historically based? Sweet.  :mrgreen:

I wrote an article about this for 0 AD back in May. Please feel free to use it. If you have any questions about my research or how I came to my conclusions then please ask me. I do not mind and would enjoy the discussion, really. My writing is primarily from the perspective of the Hittites, as the best available evidence is from them.

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?p=12354

Thanks for the link Shogun 144.  It's a really interesting read.  Unfortunately, because I've shifted the time of my mod, a lot of the information can't be directly used.  However, it has given me a lot of ideas about politics in the region at the time, and with any luck I'll eventually be able to turn some of those ideas into working scripts and mod features.

I may have questions for you later, when it comes time for me to start work on my "Trojan" factions.

Actually, if it isn't too much trouble to ask, what is your view of Wilusan culture?  I view it as a primarily Western Anatolian culture, closely linked to Hittite culture but with strong influences, that would have been most evident in the military, from the Helladic culture.  If you have different ideas, or can prove me wrong, I'd love to know.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Kvedulf,

You are welcome, I am more then happy to help. On your question:

Well Wilusa belonged to a culture now known as Luwian, which was centered on what is now the western coast of Turkey. The Luwians were fairly similar to the Hittites but were distinct from them. It is not very well understood, actually. There's a lot of controversy about the Luwian language as well.

Now for how this fits into what you are asking: Wilusa's greatest fame is from its status as melting pot and a trade center. So yes while the city was predominantly Luwian it did have other cultural influences. However I do not know just how far Helladic influence reached. In regards to the military it does not appear to have been especially prevalent as the military artifacts uncovered thus far have more in common with the Hittites then anyone else.

I will try to post more later, if I can.

Got the NPCs done and as many of their wives and daughters in game as I could find.  Agamemnon seemed to have misplaced his missus, but i managed to find her again.

I attempted to download and intsall the various programs needed for rigging and none of them work.  I don't know why or what the problem is, but it means I can't do any rigging until I work it out.  So if there is anyone out there who knows how to rig, and wants to help me, let me know.

Next thing to do is add Form Ranks and start work on Companions and their dialogues, before heading back into the realm of modelling.

First post updated.

@NikeBG: in your readings, have you come across any information about weaponry and armour in Bronze Age Thrace.  Was there a unique cultural costume and/or weapon?  I know that the Iron Age Thracians had their rhomphia and falx, but is their any evidence that the bronze age Thracians had a culturally unique weapon, or a weapon that they seem to have preffered?

@Shogun144: Cheers for that.  I hadn't done any research into the Luwians and the quick searches I've done haven't really turned up any really useful information.  Still I don't need it just yet, so there's plenty of time for me to find it.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Sorry Kvedulf. If I spent an hour or two I could model something decent but as always I have no Idea what rigging is.
PS Tgis a website I found.
http://home.exetel.com.au/thrace/swords_main.htm

hi kvedwulf,

best to use if you haven`t any experience is the auto rigging tool by manitas (obj2smd):
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,55698.0.html
its functioning for me...
hint: you have to place the smd and the obj file you want to rigg in the obj2smd folder...then rename both to "in" (without the marks :wink: ) and than execute the exe file...after that you get out an "out" file wich you can open... a Import/export window should open...there you have to uncheck the y/x axis swap...press okay...than you can save that "out.smd" file in the brf editor as an normal brf file...thats it

additionally here is an manual for it:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,61382.0.html

cheers

@Mk3390: Cheers for the link.  Gave it a quick read, and while most of it seems to be Iron Age, it does give me a place to start.  Thanks heaps for that.

@siffo998: I can't even get the damn programs to install.  I've tried every downnload link I can find, and they download fine, but won't install.  Does anyone know if there is a problem using those programs on Vista?  Still thanks for the links siffo.

Cheers
Kvedulf

the programs should run fine on vista... at least they are running fine on my computer wich is also using vista...
don`t know what you mean with installing... auto rigging is a zip file...you just have to make a new folder for example: "obj2smd" and then unzip the downloaded autorigging file (http://wfas.republika.pl/obj2smd04.zip) with winzip or winrar into that folder... thats it... (it is just the exe file and a readme)...

cheers

Oh, didn't know about that one.  I've been trying to use 3dsmax and gmax.  And I just realised that you were talking about the auto rigging toop earlier.  That'll learn me for not reading things properly.  Cheers, I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Kvedulf said:
@NikeBG: in your readings, have you come across any information about weaponry and armour in Bronze Age Thrace.  Was there a unique cultural costume and/or weapon?  I know that the Iron Age Thracians had their rhomphia and falx, but is their any evidence that the bronze age Thracians had a culturally unique weapon, or a weapon that they seem to have preffered?
I did a quick check, but most materials are indeed for the Iron Age. And from that time also appear the unique Thracian weapons as the romphaia (IVc. BC), sica, falx etc., which seem to have not existed earlier.
The Bronze Age Thracians seem to have used mostly daggers, knives, spears, axes and swords as melee weapons and javelins, bows and slings as ranged ones. For the swords you can see some pics in the bottom of this report, which I'll summarize here:
The earliest bronze swords fall in the group of the "Mycenean rapiers" [which is hardly surprising, IMO, considering the similiarities between the two cultures often make archaeologists unite them in one Thraco-Mycenean group] from the XVI-XIV c. BC. They are divided on two types - the Yonkovo rapier (pic 1, pic 2) and the "horned" rapiers, which seem to have beene predominant (pic 1, pic 2). Later on, between the XIII and X c. BC, appeared the swords from the Nenzingen type, aka Danubian swords, which later began being made from iron (pic 1, pic 2, pic 3). They were double-bladed and could be used both for piercing and slashing. This is also a "dagger-sword" from that time.
Here you can also see pictures of a sword from XIV-XIIc. BC, spear tips, dagger from the early Bronze age and axe from the late Copper Age. The same book also mentions the defensive equipment as "bronze helms, shields, armours, greaves, knee- and elbow-pads", though the pictures shown are from the IVc. BC onward.

I'll update the information whenever I find new one.

Quick little update:

Done all the NPC stats and given them weapons (no armour or shields yet, they aren't done)
Done all the Companion stats.  Still have to do their dialogues.
PC permadeath added.  Working on implementing some codes done by Mordachai, that allow for NPC death through dialogue.
Sea people added, as mercenaries and as distinct parties, based on their ethnicities.  At the moment there are; Shardana, Peleset and Shekelesh added.  They are also their own faction, and will take on anyone of a different faction, including other bandit parties.
Bandits have been given an overhaul, with the whole steppe/forest/mountain thing being abandoned.  Raiding parties of Mycenaean warriors are also in game, representing independent heroes and their followers.
Redid the stats on all the weapons.
Ironed out a couple of bugs.

Next up, I'll probably go back to modelling.  I have a huge number of helmets and shields to do.

Did a little test, to see if the combat was different.  It is.  I think it approaches something resembling real life.  Most of the soldiers carry a missile weapon of some type, and when two battle lines are at 30 paces, about all you can do is put your shield up and pray.  The soldiers themselves are also much better than they are in Native.  Combine all that with a lack of horses, and you won't be soloing enemies any more.  Which is what I was hoping for.  Other than that, the, "big" heroes, like Odysseus, Ajax and Diomedes are insane.  More than capable of slicing and dicing their way through just about anything.  That may be a bit innacurate, but hey, they're the heroes of the generation of the Trojan War.  they may be rebalanced when I start adding other cultures, so to stop stat-creep.  And they just don't compare to Achilles.  All I can say is try not to get in a 1-on-1 with him.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Hi all

I know it's a double post, but considering I haven't posted anything for two weeks, I think I can get away with it just this once.

Anyway, not much to report now.  This is more just a quick little message to let you all know that I'm still alive.  Haven't been able to do any modding recently as have been helping grandparents move house.  I have managed though to complete the preliminary work on the shield models.  The proto-dipylon and figure 8 shields are done, and the tower shield is almost done.  i've also completed the smaller Mycenaean shields and the multi-bossed Sea People round shields.  I'm just making sure that they are sized correctly and properly aligned before I put in my placefiller texture.

Hope to hae pics of the shields up by Tuesday.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Ok, it took a little longer than I'd anticipated, but here are the new shield models for Bronze and Blood.  At current there are seven different shields in game, each with a number of different textures.  There's the three body shields: the figure-8, tower and proto-Dipylon, two Sea People's shields, a small buckler and a medium sized wicker shield.  All these are based on archaeological finds and period artwork.  At the moment the most common shield by far is the Figure-8 shield.

Please note that all the textures are a work in progress.  They will be replaced if I can learn how to make good textures or someone offers to retexture them for me.

This is just a screenshot of a render of five of the shields.  The Proto-dipylons are being shy at the moment and refused to be photographed.  The texture on the wicker shield is just too damn ugly to be shown.
shields-1.jpg

lef to right: Figure-8 shield, Tower shield, top is used by Shardana and the bottom is the small buckler, the shield used by the Shekelesh and Peleset

Some ingame screenshots:
Untitled1.jpg

Six Mycenaeans with a mixture of Figure-8s and Towers.
Untitled2.jpg

Two Mycenaeans advancing
Untitled3.jpg

An enemy Mycenaean raiding party.  I actually got dropped in a single hit by the noble in a one-on-one.
Untitledcdf.jpg

A raiding warband of Shardana
Untitledww.jpg

A Shardana shieldwall

I've made a couple of other little changes , but nothing worth mentioning here.

That's all for now.  I'll update the first post when I have time later.

Cheers
Kvedulf

Back
Top Bottom