British Elections

Users who are viewing this thread

omzdog

Grandmaster Knight
The political climate in my motherland is changing.
Discus and respond.

This is different  jcrusade's thread because I want specific responses to what happened and what's going to happen.

Haha. I think my mistake was subliminal.

I am the 2009 Virginia discus AA High School State Champion.
So discus it is.

Back to the 'discus-ion'.

Leprechaun said:
Well, this oughta be interesting! Tory-Lib Dem coalition government :neutral:
I doubt the coalition will live long even though there is evidence that the Conservatives are installing a lot of positions with Lib Dems.
I doubt both parties could possibly work together though.

The last time a divided parliament happened was some time in the 70's and the coalition then failed.

Depends. The Lib Dems already need broad support from the party to do anything, so I expect things are stable from that side, unless the Tories try to screw them over. The Conservative party on the other hand does what it's told, and jumping in bed with the Lib Dems could well lead to a backbench revolt.

As someone pointed out, since it's a coalition of Whigs and Tories we should henceforth refer to the government as Whories.

The budget and Queens speech will be the litmus test. If either are voted down it'll be a no-confidence vote and a fresh election. If that happens, the question is how much the removal of Gordon Brown is going to affect the Labour vote.

We're screwed, man! **** Britain, I'm staying on this side of the pond from now on, away from all those nasty Tories. Bastards...

As a supporter of a fairer voting system, I'm just hoping that the Tories don't renage on their promise for a referendum on some kind of PR.

I'm not sure what everyone is worried about. I'm prepared to give this coalition a chance and see how they get on. Labour were looking pretty shabby and desparate towards the end and it'll do them good to be in oppostion for a while, recharge their batteries and look to the next election. They're in a better position to reclaim the next election as this term is going to be a rough one.

The tories can only look like the bad guys as they're the ones doing all the cutting. The Liberals will be doing the best to distance themselves from the worst of it while Labour can only capitalise. If the coalition fails, then we'll end up with another election anyway.

Aqtai said:
As a supporter of a fairer voting system, I'm just hoping that the Tories don't renage on their promise for a referendum on some kind of PR.
They've not promised that, they've promised a referendum on the Alternative Vote system, which isn't proportional.

That said, I'm interested to see how this works out. It'll certainly be a fun ride!

Archonsod said:
As someone pointed out, since it's a coalition of Whigs and Tories we should henceforth refer to the government as Whories.
Where does Whigs come from? All I've got so far is ConDem(ed) government. Oh and I have a skirt, purple dotty tights and a handbag but thats another story.

I'm actually quite pleased with it, I think we've got the best of both worlds & I'm still stunned by the amount of anti Tory posts on my facebook. Don't the general populace know that Liabour sold our gold reserves at bottom price? Don't they know Brown screwed up the pensions? Don't they know our civil liberties have become Orwellian in style? Countless CCTVs, Councils spying on us, not to mention the politically correct 'non jobs' created. "Cultural Diversity Officer 50k p/a!" combine this with out of control immigration & a ridiculous state benefits system that leaves people living in Mayfair on £6000 a week rent! The justice system is also in tatters with people no longer being able to defend their own homes & the feral chav youths being given a free ticket to do as they please.

This guy sums it up best:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/normantebbit/100029917/britain-2010-a-land-of-quangocrats-and-hereditary-welfare-junkies/

Why oh why would anyone still support Labour? The Tories are a bunch of Eton educated toffs but they're better than Broon & his cronies!

~EoR

So, ID cards gone, 3rd runway at Heathrow refused, large political reform suggested (though AV not PR), limitations on EU andreturn of most Civil Liberties.

I'm almost tempted to support the coalition for now.

Earl_of_Rochester said:
Don't the general populace know that Liabour sold our gold reserves at bottom price?
While the Tories sold off our manufacturing economy for a slight reduction in our EU contribution.
Don't they know Brown screwed up the pensions?
Wasn't it the Tories who opposed pensions in the first place?
Don't they know our civil liberties have become Orwellian in style?
True, but arguably such measures wouldn't have been needed if the Tories hadn't destroyed the fabric of society in the first place. Though since Cameron is offering to fix it I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Not.
  combine this with out of control immigration
Which they can't do anything about, given 95% is from Europe which we're committed to having an open border with.
The justice system is also in tatters with people no longer being able to defend their own homes & the feral chav youths being given a free ticket to do as they please.
Largely because the Tories destroyed the social mechanisms keeping such people in check under Thatcher. You didn't see many Chavers in the 70's, for good reason.

I'd not support Brown, but if Miliband lands the leader job I may well vote Labour at the next election. Assuming the Whorie coalition turns out to be as bad as expected.

Back
Top Bottom