Brainless army AI

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks for checking this. I have the save file, do you want me to upload it to the save file site or send in email?

You can send it to [email protected]

Thank you.

This is really strange. I have replayed this save and instead of joining the army (to support with food) I just followed them.
First their numbers were falling but after some time it stopped and the numbers were increasing. With some strange logic I could explain this (some parties had food, some did not, some parties had wounded which were healing, some got wounded due to starving... etc).
I followed them till the castle when they started the siege. I was only observing the siege but when their numbers started to fall I joined the army to support them with food. Guess what, the cohesion of the army was full! It started to fall only when I joined the army!

This is really strange. I am not sure if this could be caused by the patch today. Going to try to replay this few more times.
Is it possible that when I joined the army I screwed up the cohesion calculation and it was dropping lot faster?

Yes, when you join an army you cause their cohesion to drop faster but it effects at most only 1 per day (if there is no special case).

Probably army leader made cohesion boost at your second try, this means his clan has enough influence but he did not boost at your first playthrough. Maybe when you join army its cohesion boost cost increased and his influence was at just limit. I will examine your save and give you answers. Also if you look code there is random factor there. So maybe it is because that random.

You can send it to [email protected]

Thank you.

Yes, when you join an army you cause their cohesion to drop faster but it effects at most only 1 per day (if there is no special case).

Probably army leader made cohesion boost at your second try, this means his clan has enough influence but he did not boost at your first playthrough. Maybe when you join army its cohesion boost cost increased and his influence was at just limit. I will examine your save and give you answers. Also if you look code there is random factor there. So maybe it is because that random.
Ok, I have sent you the save file but do not waste too much time on it. It is not such a big problem. I am sure you are busy with other high priority tasks. Only if you think this might indicate some bug in AI behavior.

Thanks for your effort!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have cheat_mode 1 in engine_config.txt, to be able to speed up time multiplier to 10. I hope this cannot cause such discrepancies like this...

My concern is with logic. Does the AI even consider if its cohesion or food is enough for the mission?
But yes, it can even be ok since the exact scene happened in GOT with Stannis... :smile:
giphy.gif

Probably that clan's influence is not enough to boost cohesion. In this case you can say why they are choosing that far target. You are right he should not select that target especially if his clan has low influence.

In 1.5.6 we increased target distance importance while choosing target to attack. If you have a save file I can check if he will change target in 1.5.6 or not. Maybe he can still attack same target if that target is one of closest enemy targets. So if this is the case there should not be wars between further factions. We already check this as a factor maybe we should increase its importance.
This issue has great impact because it sinks so many troops into a single blob and nothing positive comes out of this, waste of resources time, influence and parties have to disperse meanwhile the kingdom is unprotected...
Hopefully this can be fixed.

Some ideas to consider after fixing some eventual bugs or major unbalances:
  • Adding a feature like foraging for food maybe with some perks, where you could have a base level of a constant increase of certain type of foraged food (also dependent on the region availability). This base level could add up with multiple parties. Apart from the base level, the player and AI could drop in speed when food is low, and in return for that speed reduction an increase in foraged food would happen. If the party stops, food consumption reduces and foraged food increases, so in sieges the attacker could reduce slightly food consumption and/or increase forage food input.
  • Sending some party to go and get some food. Each party would give (proportionally, or with a clan/kingdom budget) some money to the one who goes buy it, or just raid. The money that is not used for food or if the food doesn't return, is then returned to the (clan/kingdom fund).
  • Setting up a meeting point closer to the objective for parties to only gather at that point, this reduces time to get to the objective and minimizes food consumption/cohesion problems.
  • All parties should have good food stocks, if they don't have the money the kingdom budget could help a bit.
  • Adjust the AI army sizes necessary to complete a certain objective
  • Have fixed objectives so that the AI goes directly to the point and isn't distracted by something else
    • only disband if some vital settlement needs to be defended and there is no other party nearer that can go instead.
    • If possible the assembled army disbands only one/some parties and continues to the objective or changes to other easier and close objective.

Back
Top Bottom