Bow rebalancing, patch 1.127

Users who are viewing this thread

From the 1.127 changelog:
Bow accuracy has been rebalanced, higher tier bows are even better, with low tiers being slightly more inaccurate.

peeking at the item stats with morgh's editor, everything seems the same across the bows. anyone notice any change in performance?

Someone said that power draw now affects bows differently. The higher a bow's power draw rating, the more accurate it now is. You don't have to have above the bow's power draw for it to be accurate now.

Before, to get good accuracy with any bows, you need to have power draw level +3 or +4 the minimum requirement.
This is no longer the case. Bows with more power draw requirements are more accurate, even if you just met the minimum level.

^ Ah, I'm a little late :smile:

It makes using the Longbow/Warbow in multiplayer actually worthwhile now :wink:. It can also help the player (and perhaps AI as well?) in the campaign game; you should no longer need 5-6 power draw to make a Longbow accurate.

It's extremely noticeable in single player.  Vaegir Marksmen had warbows added to their equipment lists... so they have had their accuracy exponentially increased.  Don't mess with the Vaegirs now without a shield.  In fact, this patch has made the inevitable match-up between Nords and Vaegirs very interesting and fun to play in general.  All of those forests on the coastline are the Nords' best friend.

It also helps differentiate the Nord and Sarranid archers - Nords are cheaper, less accurate, slower to shoot, lower armored, and deal more damage.  Sarranids are more accurate, faster shooting, better armored, and more costly.  Equipment really plays a big part in the effectiveness of archers now.

Vaegir Marksmen are, of course, the most accurate, medium shooting speed, medium armored, and deal the highest damage.  They also cost a lot to train, and in upkeep... but are quite worth it when you see that dark cloud of arrows descend upon a clump of melee units followed by kill spam and the sound of breaking shields.  Delightful.

Ahh, the kill spam i.e. the sudden deluge of aquamarine-colored text obscuring my screen... candy for my eyes.

Sarranid:  Recruit-> Skirmisher -> Archer -> Master Archer (tier 4)
Vaegir:  Recruit-> Footman-> Skirmisher-> Archer-> Marksman (tier 5)

While they end up the same level, the Vaegir's take longer and a little more denars to get there.  They are justified in being more expensive, though, as their power-draw is 2 points higher, and they can get Warbows instead of strong bows.  So they are more accurate and deal more damage as a group than their Sarranid counterparts.

After 1.127 i've discovered, that my main char (38 lvl, one of best plate armours in game) takes about 2 times more damage from bows. On previous patches, catle sieges was quite easy for my chara - after climbing a ladder, i was just cutting through dozens of opponents. Now, it takes about only 4-5 shots sometimes and I must retraet or cover behind the wall.

vota dc said:
Skirmisher isn't level 14 and tier 3 for both vaegir and sarranid?

Gah, I messed up, they both have the same tiers... I forgot about the Sarranid footmen.  Sorry.

Yeah, Vaegir and Sarranid have the same training and upkeep costs.  Still, Vaegir archers have better ranged stats - I should say, though, that the Sarranid Master Archers have better armor, melee stats, and the 'mounted' flag, which I recently learned increases map speed movement.

So I guess it comes down to this:

Map speed, move speed, shot speed, amount of arrows, armor, and melee presence:  Sarranids have higher values
Accuracy of ranged weapons, Damage of ranged weapons, 2h weapons:  Vaegirs have higher values

So, [VERY] generally speaking, Vaegir Marksmen are better siege archers and glass cannons, Sarranids are more adaptable to open-field combat, and can take a little more punishment in a melee - though their short one-handed weapons leave much to be desired here.

Orety said:
After 1.127 i've discovered, that my main char (38 lvl, one of best plate armours in game) takes about 2 times more damage from bows. On previous patches, catle sieges was quite easy for my chara - after climbing a ladder, i was just cutting through dozens of opponents. Now, it takes about only 4-5 shots sometimes and I must retraet or cover behind the wall.

Ya I've noticed that too. Just be lucky we aren't wearing light armor lol.

After 1.127 when doing a siege battle I've been killed in one hit ten times more often..... than in 1.126. I don't like getting killed... and I like being without a helm...

Karmine said:
After 1.127 when doing a siege battle I've been killed in one hit ten times more often..... than in 1.126. I don't like getting killed... and I like being without a helm...

Get yourself a BIG shield. Or three.

Falcon Critical said:
Karmine said:

I haz my bow, arrows, two handed sword and my lance......
No space for shield..... even if I can easily replace lance with shield for sieges.... but that is not very cool....

My character thinks that only the weak need to hide behind a shield or helms.... also it may damage his hair-do if he has an helm....... Also being first one up the ladder or siege tower is most important part in his huge ego......... he gets captured average ten times a day.....

Ah, well then he only has himself to blame when he's dropped by an arrow to the face. 

I often ride around without a helm but always pack a full face helm and extra xbow bolts for a siege.  Otherwise I'm packing spear/sword/shield/siege xbow (free bolt in chamber). 

Falcon Critical said:
Karmine said:

Sink some points into your Personal Force-field skill while you're at it. It's the one labeled "Shield".

That said, I make it a habit to add skill points to combat for myself and my companions. Usually it's 9 or 12 STR/AGI and then a lot of INT training. Any extra points are put into Power Strike, Shields, etc.

The nice thing is that all my companions are L-21 (they all have decent Trainer and they keep themselves leveled pretty well--1 pulls ahead, a 2nd joins, then the other 6 quickly follow). 3 of them are >27 INT now and have very high quality skills.

Karmine said:
I haz my bow, arrows, two handed sword and my lance......
No space for shield..... even if I can easily replace lance with shield for sieges.... but that is not very cool....

My character thinks that only the weak need to hide behind a shield or helms.... also it may damage his hair-do if he has an helm....... Also being first one up the ladder or siege tower is most important part in his huge ego......... he gets captured average ten times a day.....

= My hero. Front-line Warriors FTW!!

Back
Top Bottom