Bourbon Restored

Users who are viewing this thread

Inzunza

Sergeant
Hypothetically, say I wanted to make a new game concerning a French Noble and he wants to place King Louis back on the throne.  What did the soldiers who supported the Bourbon Restoration and/or after the Restoration prior to 1820 look like?

During the 1814 restoration I believe the only change to the French uniforms was the removal of the 'N' for Napoleon.

MadManYo said:
During the 1814 restoration I believe the only change to the French uniforms was the removal of the 'N' for Napoleon.

See, I read somewhere a while back that they had white uniforms and eventually switched back to blue in 1820 because the veterans resented wearing something similar to the Austrians because they fought them on and off for quite some time.

Napoleon considered changing the French infantry uniforms from blue to white sometime around 1805 for several reasons. The primary one was to reduce the costs of the uniform, as undyed cloth is obviously less expensive than blue cloth (in addition, the British Navy had stopped much of the importation of blue dye into France). Secondary was the desire to link Napoleonic France to the prestige of the old Bourbon dynasty. A few regiments were actually outfitted in white uniforms as a test, and apparently they were well-received. But the change was never made official, likely to avoid confusion with the Saxons, Spanish, or Austrian army who also wore white, and the French infantry continued to wear blue.

Back
Top Bottom