Boredom sets in after massive amounts of honor troops obtained!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sporky

Recruit
Alright, this game is so flippin awesome to start off. It took me probably a month in a half real life time to get where I'm at now.

I've made my own kingdom and I own about 4 towns, and 8 castles, along with numerous villages.

I'm getting bored because my force of 378 troops and other lords have like 250+ troops are just destroying everything, no challenge!

My army consists of 208 Knights of the Griffon and 160 some Silvermist rangers. All I have to do to win sieges is just put silvermist rangers first and they destroy everything, and battles that aren't sieges I just send my knights in to destroy everything.

Any suggestions to make the game even more challenging please let me know!

Oh I also forgot to say that while I was in the Empire I amassed like 150 Empire Immortals too, so if I ever get in trouble I can just pick them up and use them in my army.

Set your own rules, increase difficulty, set to manual blocking and such.

Don't use so many of them to begin with? It's unrealistic to have a troop composition of more than 50% honor troops. I usually only use 30% honor troops of mainly Ebony Gauntlets and Eventide. I don't use Ravenstern Rangers and only a limited number of EAC. Most of my melee troops are Pendor, Sarleon and D'Shar infantry. I lose plenty of men, but I'm satisfied because I finally wage wars where the battles where the enemy feels truly dangerous, especially King Ulric and his 100+ rampaging knights.

Try fighting a Noldor unique spawn (Aeldarian or Ithilrandir), or maybe even Eyegrim the Devourer. These should provide some sort of a challenge for your troops.

If you are feeling suicidal, try besieging Elacrai, the Elven castle.

However, in general terms, besides raising the normal difficulty the best way to give yourself a challenge is to simply choose not to use them. Try going for "theme" builds instead of obtaining the best units possible and using them. For example, something I want to do is just use mercenary and "Foreign" (Barclay, Mettenheim, Veccavia) troops only. This means no Order Knights!  :shock:

In Pendor and perhaps most "sandbox" (or simulation) games, the challenges comes from the player puts on himself / herself. As far as I'm aware, as soon as players begin massing Order Knights almost everything falls in their path.

I see, that "foregin" army does sound pretty dang interesting, too bad the only troops I have of those are the ones that volunteered to be mercenaries in my town. ^_^

Is there anyway to recruit the foreginers besides the random event of having them volunteer to be mercenaries in your town?

Give up all your holdings to your enemies by becoming someone's vassal, and then releasing yourself from oath. And start all over...  :wink:

I think I read somewhere in either the suggestion thread or Quick Questions / Answers thread that Barclay, Mettenheim, Veccavia troops will be easier to obtain in 3.6, but they will be costly in some form. I don't know if that means Qualis Gems or simply a large amount of money.

I plan on doing the "foreigner" playthrough then, currently it is fairly difficult to get such an army in 3.5, save for a rare "Heartbeat" quest that apparently allows you to hire a lot of them at once, but I never got one of those...

Personally, I'm loving using only the Imperial troops. Walking down my line before the battle begins while the crossbowmen fire arrows over the massed ranks and my head makes me feel something similar to an actual general. \

If you stick with one faction and use only those units it's a hell of a lot tougher, especially when you use full or even 3/4 damage settings for your men. When I go up against the fierds I'll get slaughtered if its even numbers or a numerical disadvantage if I don't play it smart since I have to play with the Empire's strengths. I haven't decided if I'm going to switch to the Pendor culture or not when I decide to throw off the yoke of the benevolent Marius Imperator.

I plan to start a Sarleon only campaign next, that's going to drive me up a damn wall I bet since their infantry can come apart like wet paper in a hurricane if used incorrectly.

Use proper armies and try winning through tactics rather than raw strength and F1+F3.

Instead of 150 knights of the Griffon and 100 Silvermists, try out the regular troops trees of the factions. They are way weaker than order troops of course, but they all have their strengths. Find the proper mix of Empire Pikemen/Sarleon Halberdiers with D'Shar Bladesmen/Sarleon Men at Arms, try out using Ravenstern mounted rangers or the D'Shar and Empire light cav properly, i.e to flank, harass, distract the enemy, use hammer and anvil tactics with a combination of a Fierdsvain shieldwall and a group of lancers, try winning with faction specific armies and find ways to counter their particular weaknesses, etc. etc. pp.
The opportunities are pretty much countless.

We'll increase the costs of Order troops in 3.6, but also give you several new interesting options for recruitment. It is too easy now, just as the OP said.

As some had said doing a theme army is very good to kill the boredom. Sticking to any faction will force you to use its specifics strengths and counter their weaknesses as much as you can.

Something I like to do is build my char as an elite unit of the faction I have chose. A horse archer for D'shar, a ranger-like for Ravenster, a kngith for sarleon, a infantry/thower for Fierdsvain and a crossbowman for the Empire ( or if you have the gust try to be berserker o gladiator, just thinking of the elixir-abuse/grinding levels is terrifiying...). Well more of going for the speciallity of each faction not only in your army but in your char. If you want to ad some color to the army count some mercenaries on. For example singalians if you play with the D'shar, Vankerries for Fierdsvain, etc.

Changing your usual char build is good too since it will change your playstyle.

Or you can just play another game, or watch some movie. That's what I usually do if I get bored.

MadVader said:
We'll increase the costs of Order troops in 3.6, but also give you several new interesting options for recruitment. It is too easy now, just as the OP said.

Could you elaborate at all about these new recruitment options?

Sir Nickolas said:
I think I read somewhere in either the suggestion thread or Quick Questions / Answers thread that Barclay, Mettenheim, Veccavia troops will be easier to obtain in 3.6, but they will be costly in some form. I don't know if that means Qualis Gems or simply a large amount of money.

I plan on doing the "foreigner" playthrough then, currently it is fairly difficult to get such an army in 3.5, save for a rare "Heartbeat" quest that apparently allows you to hire a lot of them at once, but I never got one of those...

I've never even heard of this "hearbeat" quest, does it just appear or do I have to talk to someone in a tavern for it?

I know you've never experienced it, but what have you heard about it?

Also I've decided to try and do a Jatu army and pretend I'm the Jatu destroying everything. I think the only way to do this playthrough would be to use cheats and cheatmenu though, unless someone can tell me if how to recruit regular Jatu to my army, I planned to ctrl+alt+f4 and then recruit them to my party and go on a rampage. Sadly that didn't work so I'm going to try gambling with qualis gems to get a big army.

mr48 said:
MadVader said:

Most of it is secret, except the ability to hire/convert Order sergeants/squires.

Sporky said:
Sir Nickolas said:

I've never even heard of this "hearbeat" quest, does it just appear or do I have to talk to someone in a tavern for it?

I know you've never experienced it, but what have you heard about it?

Also I've decided to try and do a Jatu army and pretend I'm the Jatu destroying everything. I think the only way to do this playthrough would be to use cheats and cheatmenu though, unless someone can tell me if how to recruit regular Jatu to my army, I planned to ctrl+alt+f4 and then recruit them to my party and go on a rampage. Sadly that didn't work so I'm going to try gambling with qualis gems to get a big army.
The hartbeat quests are special quest given for stewards and village elders of your own villages castles and towns. They are random, both in wich one you get and how your decisions will affect the results. You don't get then by talking to then or something, you get a message saying that you are called to go to the place as soon as you can, then you go and talk with elder/steward. One of this quest is some mercenaries ofering themselves to work for you (only in castles and towns if I'm not mistaken). As Sir nickolas said is kind or rare to get one of those.

About the jatu, if you don't want to risk meddling with the occult you can either hire the jatu mercenaries, rescue jatu from any army or capture them yourself and recruit them.

MadVader said:
mr48 said:
MadVader said:

Most of it is secret, except the ability to hire/convert Order sergeants/squires.

Any word on what the time-frame is for 3.6? (as in weeks? months? 2014?) I'm asking because I'm wondering whether to start a new game in 3.51 or just wait for 3.6, as I'm assuming it wont be save compatible.

MadVader said:
Most likely a couple of weeks after Warband 1.155 comes out, probably very soon. It's up to Taleworlds.

Out of curiosity, are you waiting to release 3.6 after the patch because some of the new features in 3.6 need the changes in the patch in order to work? Or is it simply a matter of keeping the mod current with the latest version of Warband?

Back
Top Bottom