[BoP:1815] Vienna

Users who are viewing this thread

I also present to the congress, more maps of the proposed results of the treaty!

(Almost all of this does not change no matter what agreement we pass.)

ipbkGn6SGQqH4.png

id2usoPeTBXa5.png

ikeINKndoYZEh.png

iUdEW43L0WDJg.png

Greetings fellow esteemed monarchs!

Frederik6coronation.jpg

I am Frederick VI of Denmark and Norway. While I was a humble ally of the vanquished Napoleon, know that this was but a ruse to preserve my poor kingdom, under siege by merciless French guns. Now that the mad man has been put down, it is my pleasure and honour to attend this congress with you all.

I will soon give my opinion on the offers put forth. May the wisdom of God Almighty guide us in this noble endeavor!

After carefully considering the various proposals put forth, we declare the following:

1. Kingdom of Denmark supports the Kingdom of Sweden in its noble goal of reattaching Finland to Sweden.
2. Kingdom of Denmark agrees to uphold the Treaty of Kiel as long as the Kingdom of Sweden hands over Pommerania and reaffirms that Iceland, Greenland and the various arctic islands are now part of the Kingdom of Denmark.
3. In our enlightened wisdom, we lament the plight of the Polish people and applaud their efforts for self-determination. No empire that still embraces slavery and serfdom should be allowed to rule Christian people.
4. Kingdom of Denmark supports the United Republic of the Netherlands and agrees that Wallonia and Luxembourg belong to the Lowlands.

We shall not lay claim to the islands of Greenland and Iceland, and we would support your claim to Pommerania. Unfortunately in the current version of the treaty, Prussia is taking Pommerania.

You are permitted to sign secret treaties on the side before the start of the game. I would recommend writing off any credit payments as ratios of the whole. Those territorial changes will be put in place after the Congress of Vienna is adjourned.

Bluehawk said:
We can only accept this arrangement with Russia with the assurance that the Kingdom of Poland will have all the liberties of the Grand Duchy of Finland, that is: a separate legislature; a separate currency; free use of the Polish language in government, commerce and education; the freedom to practice the Catholic faith; and the right to raise a separate army in times of crisis with the caveat that Russian forces may be stationed in the Kingdom at any time, for any reason. Anything less than these would be disproportionate to the size and advancement of the Polish nation.

The Tsar shall ponder upon these requests. The outcome of this ponderance will surely be in line with the deliberations of the Tsar's government designed to improve the administrative efficiency of his Imperial Empire.

Odyseuss said:
I too congratulate the great powers, especially the United Kingdom, on this treaty. However, Sweden has one major issue. We are horribly insulted that Russia should receive Finland, since Finland was captured while they were working with Bonaparte. It is unfair that a massive empire who worked with the tyrant should benefit at the expense of a small kingdom which loyally stood against Napoleon. We most certainly shall not "verify and affirm the right of Russia to Finland" as they do not have any claim to it whatsoever. Finland has prospered under Swedish rule for over 550 years. In addition to this Nesselrode refused to speak with me despite the best efforts of myself and my friend Castlereagh. He's not even brave enough to confront the man whom he is wrongfully stealing from. Mark my words their will be no peace in the north with expansionists such as Tsar Alexander in control. He's a power hungry expansionist who seeks only to benefit from the smaller, weaker kingdoms who are unfortunate enough to be his neighbor.

Despite our contributions to the effort against Napoleon we have received nothing in return. We shall not be signing the treaty, and we are greatly insulted by the actions of the Russian delegation.

- Count Carl Löwenhielm, representative of the Kingdom of Norway and the Kingdom of Sweden

The good Count seems to forget Russian ownership of Old Finland that has endured for the best part of the century, to claim that Russia has no business in Finland is disingenuous to the Treaties of the past. Indeed, it is even more disingenuous to the Treaties of the present, the one signed by Sweden in 1809 in which legal ownership of Finland passed to His Imperial Majesty the Tsar. Though, the Swedish are not unknown for their lax implementation of Treaties, their lack of supportive action during the catastrophic French invasion of Russia is telling.

The unfortunate position of Norway as your neighbour appears to have brought your expansionist intentions down to bear. Such is the esteem that the people of Norway hold the Swedish King, that they rose up and declared independence upon the news that Swedish administration would be brought to bear upon them. The people of Finland are far more welcoming to the benevolent rule of the Tsar than the Norwegians are to King of Sweden.

The Gentleman is bold enough to assert that 'There will be no peace in the North', I ask, is that a declaration of war?

I would advise the Swedish King that when he next seeks to initiate diplomatic relations with the Tsar, he do so with more careful words than in the communication received a few days ago.

Apologies for the double post.

I would also suggest that an additional clause is added regarding conspiracy to breach the Acts of the Congress. Knowledge of, and subsequent inaction over, a conspiracy to breach the terms of the Acts ought to be punishable financial or military measures. The proposal states that violators "will face the accordant consequences" yet it fails to define what constitutes accordant consequences, this ought to be clarified even if it simply that the country is subject to the will of the Congress after defeat.

Couple of changes to the official proposal.

1. Ferdinand III of the Kingdom of Sicily will become Ferdinand I of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

2. To fix the concern Blacktide has just brought up, I have added that "A defeated power in violation of these Acts will be subject to economic and military punishment at the hands of the congress."

3. A final section has been added at the end of Act III, that allows for the possibility of recalling the congress, if need be.
"If Europe should ever face peril again, and a new congress is needed to create peace again, the Great Powers have the ability to call the congress. If a Great Power calls the Congress, and two of his fellow Great Powers respond in favor, a new Congress will be created. All European nations must be invited to this Congress, regardless of their diplomatic status with each other and with the world."

I don't imagine any of the nations currently in support of the Acts wouldwithdraw their support because of these editions, but if you would like to, please talk to me and I will remove your delegate's name from the document. If you would like to sign the document, please talk to me and I will have your name added to the list.

I will say this once.

You do not get to accept your own annexation at the Congress of Vienna in exchange for any kind of assistance if I choose to let you rejoin the game. If I find that anyone makes this kind of deal, everyone involved will be banned.

Additionally, the only player that will be allowed to rejoin the game if annexed through Congress of Vienna is Bluehawk, playing as Poland, due to their extremely disadvantaged position. If any other player is annexed through the Congress of Vienna treaty, they will be permanently removed from the game. Bear in mind that rebelling against the treaty is an option, albeit matters would be far easier if one simply avoids their own loss through skilled negotiating.

Few additional changes to the proposal.

1. France's ships of the line will be divided between the non-landlocked members of the coalition. (Sorry, Bavaria. :razz:) Somebody brought this up and I realize it would be kinda silly to give ships to Saxony, Bavaria, and Wurttemberg.

2. France has agreed to cede the province of Wallonia to the Dutch Republic.

3. Denmark will be forfeiting all of their overseas colonies to Sweden, this is because of Denmark's repeated cooperation with the forces of Napoleon.

With this, the Dutch and Sweden both announce their support for the proposition.
I believe this means that we have enough votes, so I will call an official vote later this afternoon. If you have signed but have concerns now because of these changes, please talk to me.

The Treaty of Vienna as proposed by Castlereagh is being put to a vote.

Please look over the treaty carefully before you vote. All European members of the Congress of Vienna are entitled to a vote.

There are three voting options:
1) Sign the treaty, and thereby endorse its contents.
2) Reject the treaty, voicing disapproval of its contents.
3) Refuse the treaty entirely, disavowing everything within it and desiring to stand against it. This action may lead to war.

In order for the Treaty to pass, it must have a supermajority of members sign. This includes all five Great Powers signing as well as six out of nine secondary powers.

Treaty Information
European Destabilization: Moderate
King Murat of Naples Refuses the treaty.

Votes must be public, either voiced here in roleplay chat or in Quicktopic in out of character chat. Please bold and color your choice to make it clear to me which way you vote. You have until June 20th to vote, and anyone who does not vote by that deadline will be assumed to sign. However, you are not permitted to feign inactivity for a default sign - you are expected to actually officially vote.

edit: Not sure if obvious, but you are allowed and suggested to give your nation's rationale for the way you vote.

Back
Top Bottom