Books in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

hello everyone

What do you guys think about books in bannerlord should they be the same as in warband.

Personally, I think books tie well with the new focus points system(because they increase your experience gain of the selected skill)  for example when you read the Art of war you receive X focus point(s) plus X skill points for strategy skill

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject

I would love for books to also have a lore-value but this would essentially mean that you would have to be able to actually read them.

They wouldn`t have to be short stories like the ones in Skyrim, that would require a lot of resources. But maybe give the players the option to peruse an excerpt, or a chapter, of a work?

There could be books about the past deeds of characters who are still alive and the player could be able to read them and then impress the person with their knowledge.
Even better, they could shed light on more recent history, like the Vlandian conquest of western Calradia or the reign of the last emperor of a unified Calradia. Speaking of Calradia, the fighting sides should publish propaganda pamphlets.
I would also love to see folklore, maybe works of fiction or even medical treatises help the game build it`s world. WB did this mostly through dialogue and I would like to see it expanded.

As to the focus point system, I think it`s a good idea and I hope they keep it.
I also hope they ape the "learn to read" -thing that was in VC, where you usually start the game illiterate and have to learn the letters before using them.

I think reading should be something learnable, depending on how you create your character or learn in game world.  Other than that WB system was balanced and well designed. I can think of only little how to polish, maybe some books let you double perk on certain tiers? idk.

HUMMAN said:
I think reading should be something learnable, depending on how you create your character or learn in game world.  Other than that WB system was balanced and well designed. I can think of only little how to polish, maybe some books let you double perk on certain tiers? idk.

Kind of similar to Kingdom Come: Deliverance where, without doing the reading quest, all you see is jumbled up letters?

HUMMAN said:
I think reading should be something learnable, depending on how you create your character or learn in game world.
I also like the idea of having to learn to read, not everyone was literate in medieval times so I reckon this would be an immersive feature. Of course being able to choose to start with a literate character is also a must.

I don't really have any ideas for how books could be implemented into Bannerlord except that maybe there could be books that offer a unique perk if read or something. Like reading this book on two-handed fighting techniques the perk "Placeholder" is available.

NPC99 said:
Books? Shouldn’t Bannerlord have vellum scrolls or clay tablets? Erik the beserker carved everything he knew, in Norse runes, into a twig.  :grin:

According to wikipedia "By the 6th century AD, the scroll and wax tablet had been completely replaced by the codex in the Western world." I guess that quote is discounting the Norse but bound books with hard covers were definitely a thing in the mid 11th Century. I would also love to see some illumination-inspired artwork with the books.

It sounds like Erik the Berserker did not have that much to say about the world if he could fit all of it on a twig. :grin:

Oxtocoatl said:
NPC99 said:
Books? Shouldn’t Bannerlord have vellum scrolls or clay tablets? Erik the beserker carved everything he knew, in Norse runes, into a twig.  :grin:

According to wikipedia "By the 6th century AD, the scroll and wax tablet had been completely replaced by the codex in the Western world." I guess that quote is discounting the Norse but bound books with hard covers were definitely a thing in the mid 11th Century. I would also love to see some illumination-inspired artwork with the books.

It sounds like Erik the Berserker did not have that much to say about the world if he could fit all of it on a twig. :grin:

Erik carved a very fine thesis on the best sized skulls for drinking cups.  :grin:

I'm really hoping for the books as well. Not too sure how can we make it more interesting than WB though...perhaps adding perks, like learning how to read a specific language so that the character will be able to learn something from the book?

I support books and players receive gifts such as increasing INT and CHA, good relations and even skill points

After 8 years of development (soon 9), of course books and backstory of the continent would be expected.

But i am pretty sure they didn't even have any backstory for Calradia to write in, unfortunately. Hopefully i will appear wrong but i don't think so.

Varrak said:
After 8 years of development (soon 9), of course books and backstory of the continent would be expected.
I did the math and can't get it right. Bannerlord development started in summer 2011.

About the books, since the game is set 200 years before Warband and devs want to be semi-accurate with history, I don't really mind if the books aren't in the game (in the form of books). Even in Warband, they were rare and expensive (without the knowledge of letterpress machine). It's only fair to assume they are nonexistent or even more rare. Either the books are in the game to help players on higher levels or would be nonexistent. On another hand, some kind of book alternative may be right, like a parchment.

Well, I went off the rail a little. I don't really care if the book system stays the same as in Warband or not. Learning from some kind of paper should be there though.

Back
Top Bottom