Books and Brytenwalda

Users who are viewing this thread

gdwitt

Knight at Arms
I would like to add more books to the mix. What is the best way?
I also wanted to make a larger role for the famous monasteries.
So I made the abbots all booksellers.
The 2 booksellers still travel, but I could remove them.
Their merchandise is slightly different.
They have books on training, weapon mastery and looting that you won't find at the monasteries.

Readable books now give 2 points when the book is finished. It now takes 200 hours to finish reading a book versus the former 128.
If you need direction on reading the books, let us know.

The reference versus readable books have been changed:
["book_tactics","History of the Peloponnesian War (tactics)", [("book_a",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 4500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_persuasion","Rhetorica ad Herennium (persuasion)", [("book_b",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 4600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_leadership","The Life of Alexander the Great (leadership)", [("book_d",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3780,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none], #cambiar chief
["book_intelligence","Paedeia (intelligence)", [("book_e",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 4500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_pathfinding","Guiding Pilgrim Travellers (pathfinding)", [("book_f",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_weapon_mastery", "Polity of the Lacedaemonians, of Xenofonte (weaponsmaster)", [("book_d",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 4500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_engineering","De architectura, of Vitrivius (engineering)", [("book_open",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 4500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_charisma","Motivational Daily Readings (charisma)", [("book_open",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_surgery","Synopsis of Aelius Galenus (surgery)", [("book_c",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_training","Epitoma Rei Militaris (training)", [("book_open",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
#Reference books
#This book must be at the beginning of reference books
["book_wound_treatment_reference","De Materia Medica, of Dioscorides", [("book_c",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_looting_reference","Swords of King Arthur's Court", [("book_c",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_firstaid_reference","Convalescence shortened", [("book_c",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
["book_trade_reference","Merchant's Ledger", [("book_open",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 3500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],
#chief cambiados libros acaba
#puesto chief quest
["book_slot","Read Latin Every Day to Remember", [("book_open",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 600,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],#set to musketfor now#only available from abbots
["relic1","Vulgata Biblia", [("book_e",0)],itp_type_book, 0, 5500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],#type_book to prevent game from assignign at game start
["relic2","Slot for Relic2", [("book_e",0)], itp_type_book, 0, 5500,weight(2)|abundance(60),imodbits_none],#type_book to prevent game from assignign at game start

i think that is a great feature, and a good way to make monasteries usable and more important, what I think would be even more better is if you would delete two book sellers left and allow abbots sell all books available. One thing i do not like that much is 200 hours needed to read a book, but I hope it wont bother that much.

The abbot was formerly inaccessible unless you had the faith of Christian or Celt.
I opened him up to all faiths, but he still has an honor requirement of 1.
I added a feature where one could buy honor points for only 100 scillings from him.
Should I keep this?

Alternately, I could work on adding a monk vendor at monasteries, but that will takemore time than I have right now.

How many players here play as bandit parties?

I will keep the book sellers because of the constraints on accesssing the monasteries and because it would be odd for them to sell books on looting.

I'm not sure the rob the monasteries feature is available yet.
I have to wait for someone from VC to pitch in.

Books: You now get 2 skill or 1 character points for reading the readable books.
For the skills, that's a 100% increase in outcome for only a 80% increase in reading time.
Formerly, it took 128 hours to read a book. Now it's 200.

I don't want to make the game too easy. You really don't have to read them. They auto-read while you're sleeping.

Votes on the hours?

Also, the names are a bit whimsical and could be improved for the books.
I wish I could have an inventory management book, but the game won't let that skill be boosted by the scripts that I know about.

Oh, i did not knew that books auto read when sleep, so i guess 200 hours is fine then. And i agree with all other improvements you have made. Keep the good work.

gdwitt said:
Also, the names are a bit whimsical and could be improved for the books.
I think I have few suggestions on this matter:
Guiding Pilgrim Travellers can be replaced with Tabula Peutingeriana. As Roman infrastructure was still semi-existing in games time period having this would still be useful to travelers. Some fictional Itineraria Insulae Britannicae could serve as well.

Motivational Daily Readings- some religious text (Sermons of St. Patric?) could serve as motivational text, but it would't be realistic for pagans. Creating few books (whose effects won't stack) seems to be problematic, so Ars Amatoria by Ovidius or poetry of Catullus could be used. Erotic poetry have universal appeal.

Convalescence shortened- Medicina Plinii 4th century manual of pharmacology could be used here.

Hope this help.

Thank you for the history guidance.
It will help make the game more immersive.
I don't think it would be easy to have a separate motivational book for each faith.
If someone is up to the taks, I can point to a few filters.
I think the Latin text would be appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom