BLUE-SCREEN crash.. anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

The latest patches (03+04) have several times crashed to blue screen with this message, seemingly always when in the inventory..

FILE: nv4_disp          Driver became stuck in infinite loop
STOP: 0x000000EA (0x89C06B60, 0x89F4CE50, 0xB84EBCBC, 0x00000001)

This is only happening with Warband, not original Mount & Blade or other games, could it be its overworking my graphics card?
Reinstalling the drivers hasn't helped, I am currently playing trial as bored of waiting for Paypal.

nVidia 8600GT 512mb, latest drivers (197.13), running with XP, 2gig RAM, dual core intel pentium E2160 1.8GHZ

Blue screens (with a graphic driver listed) are almost always caused by corrupted drivers, an overheating vid card or something on the vid card is dying on you.

First thing to do is open your computer case while it's running and look to see if the fan on your vid card is actually working and/or if it's stuffed full of dust.

If that's not a problem, then the next thing you can try is installing a program called Riva Tuner and monitor your video card temps with it.
Link: http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

Install that, then find the 'Hardware monitoring' button and leave that open. Start up WB and press Alt + Enter to make it run in windowed mode. Park yourself inside a town or something with some action, then alt-tab to your temperature monitor window that you left open. Watch to see what kind of temperatures you are reaching.

A second test would be to download FurMark. It's a program that will beat the living daylights out of your vid card. Link: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Final suggestion would be to try uninstalling your current nvidia drivers and then install the latest ones. Merely installing the newest ones over your current ones might not solve the problem.

Wohoo, my videocard is a "bunny" for you...ATI Radeon X300SE, the oldest videocard you can have, but hope I'll buy a new one. The rest of components are new except Videocard and Hard Disk.

whats a good temp out of curiosity...? Mines running at a warm 71C... would this be the cause of my BSODs?

buzbybadman said:
The latest patches (03+04) have several times crashed to blue screen with this message, seemingly always when in the inventory..

FILE: nv4_disp          Driver became stuck in infinite loop
STOP: 0x000000EA (0x89C06B60, 0x89F4CE50, 0xB84EBCBC, 0x00000001)

This is only happening with Warband, not original Mount & Blade or other games, could it be its overworking my graphics card?
Reinstalling the drivers hasn't helped, I am currently playing trial as bored of waiting for Paypal.

nVidia 8600GT 512mb, latest drivers (197.13), running with XP, 2gig RAM, dual core intel pentium E2160 1.8GHZ

Whooohooo! This is the EXACT error that I was getting which almost kept me from purchasing Warband.

The fix, well this is how I fixed it and I have not had one single crash even after a 6 hour run on Warband.  I, like you, also never had it crash because of this before but now I'm rambling so I'll stop.

1.  Install a Driver Cleaner I used Driver Cleaner Pro.  Driver Sweeper is free and available here http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29_d1655.html
  2. Uninstall your current nvidia drivers.
  3. Reboot  windows in safe mode.
  4. After rebooting, windows will auto-detect the graphics card and try to install drivers for it. Just cancel it.
  5. Run Driver Cleaner Pro and under ‘Cleaning Selection’ menu select ‘nVidia’.
  6. Hit ‘Start’.(This will delete the driver files and registry entries.)
  7. Reboot Windows in safe mode.
  8. Install the your nvidia drivers.
  9. Boot windows normally.
Warning:  If you have anything else Nvidia, like a mobo setup,  be careful as it may remove those drivers

Windows puts that file nv4_disp among a few others on when it is installed.  A proper "cleaning" will take care of it.  This game is the first time I ran across this issue so I researched it good.

This is easily fixed by removing the nvidia drivers, all the latest drivers will fry or f--- up your card

If you have it, install the old drivers you originally got with your card.

Err right, unless your card itself is dying, then theres no fix :p

I think mine is dying too.. Its unable to read what it writes on some other mods :sad: but thanks for your help it was so old title but its so helpfull.

Back
Top Bottom