Bloodpass Warband Map Editor

Users who are viewing this thread

Having the black screen problem, just in the map area and using the toolbar at the top makes no difference, perma black screen, I have redownloaded the file several times.

Hello.  :smile:  Is there any need for this tool still?

Got a little tired of M&B I guess-- took an extended vacation, forgot all about this.

By now there must be something much better and more mature than this project ever was, yes?  What's the status of the community's map editing toolset?

Bloodpass said:
Hello.  :smile:  Is there any need for this tool still?

Got a little tired of M&B I guess-- took an extended vacation, forgot all about this.

By now there must be something much better and more mature than this project ever was, yes?  What's the status of the community's map editing toolset?

I was just about to open it up...

Cool, I like to see that it has some use even though it didn't quite get finished.  It's kind of neat seeing people describe how they use the various tools for different parts of their workflow.  Maybe I'll try setting a dev environment up again (hopefully I can get everything running on Linux without too much trouble), might be fun to do some new updates.

Bloodpass said:
Cool, I like to see that it has some use even though it didn't quite get finished.  It's kind of neat seeing people describe how they use the various tools for different parts of their workflow.  Maybe I'll try setting a dev environment up again (hopefully I can get everything running on Linux without too much trouble), might be fun to do some new updates.
Please there is a desperate need for a decent map editor that's able to edit terrain. Mod Developers are wasting too much time on editing the world with these old apps.

jacobhinds said:
If you use decent software it really isn't. There's nothing a third party map editor can do that 3D modelling software couldn't do better, at least w.r.t. terrain and topology editing.
Completely agree there is no need for any new map editors - use swys cartographer to convert map.txt to an obj file and back again - all editing can be done in 3ds max/blender - which are perfect tools for the job and rarely crash.

Most decent 3D editors also have a set of "painting" tools, which would resemble height editing with brushes, and probably support heightmaps in some form or another. Hell, I've even used Sculptris once, and it worked better than I expected. Even in a best-case scenario, using a proprietary application really couldn't offer that much benefits over full 3D editing suites.

It wouldn't be such problem as if I weren't trying to add new islands to the current Calradia map.

Guys I tried the mentioned Cartographer's tool and it works like a charm! Much better indeed. just open map.txt, export .obj, import it into your editor program and assign ground tiles to materials. Thanks a lot.

Yes it would be tough to compete with a 3D modeler for map changes.  It's probably doable but this would need to be a full time hobby for awhile.

In the last version that I never released I did start to work on some basic map mesh manipulations, but I didn't get far enough for it to be much use.  If I do finish it, it would probably still be better to use a real modeler for major changes, and then maybe small changes or tweaks could be done in-editor.  I did get the project compiling and running on Linux (my primary OS now) but a few minor issues discouraged me from going further (they could probably be corrected), so I may just switch to Win for working on this.  (Not the most convenient but I have no idea if I can get M&B working on Linux anyway.)

Other than stuff already mentioned is there anything minor that's badly needed?  i.e. Bug fixes or annoying behaviors or tweaks that would make life easier?  I'm going to try and find the time to work on this a bit more. :smile:

Warlord_Vandon said:
Is there any plans to let people add new villages, castles, and towns?

Originally I think I was planning on some things to help facilitate or automate that by trying to parse and modify some of or all the needed python scripts, but as mentioned above it's not a simple process and it could be risky if the parsing algorithm screws up.  (would need backup files)

I did have a "back up" map-obj converter for anyone who had issues with the other one, but I think it only went one direction: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1839  Not even sure if it works anymore. :dead:

Back
Top Bottom