Bloodpass Warband Map Editor

Users who are viewing this thread

could you mirror this someplace?
  M&B repository seems to be stuck or is downloading so slowly it does not ever get to 1 MB progress.
  The concept of a replacement map editor is something I am keen to try.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  getting it now.  Time of day is everything...

Bloodpass said:
BTW - Anyone know if there's plans for a campaign map editor for M&B II? It looks like they've listed tools for pretty much everything but that, unless the scene editor covers it (I would think that is for battle mode scenes/maps).

For Bannerlord, we are using a fantastic scene editor that our engine team created for our artists. We were, however, using a different method for the campaign map that was a relic of Warband’s system. This was practical in some aspects and had its advantages, but as time went on we realised that the limitations were too many and we decided to redo the campaign map system built on the new scene editor.

There are a lot of advantages to the new design. Apart from being able to create a map that is of a much higher quality, it is actually a huge change that opens up a ton of possibilities. By creating the map directly in our editor we are able to quickly and efficiently edit the map, with one of the key benefits being that we can now place settlements directly in the editor (rather than with coordinates in a text file!).

This leads us on to possibly the coolest change we have made with the campaign map: the city icons on the world map now visually represent the actual city scenes. This means that, given some time, seasoned players will be able to recognise a city just from its map icon alone. Likewise, players will be able to see what kind of resources a village produces and the level of a castle’s walls visually represented on the campaign map.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1681414081363392053

This was a late change after they had created the BL map, so I believe it is to support full conversion modding.

PS I think Janycz was asking about the possibility of importing 2D height and colour maps similar to Thorgrim’s.

A 2D-3D transformation is a nice idea. Done similar things before. How big are these 2D maps typically in terms of pixel dimensions? I assume you can do one for height/altitude and another for terrain type? (Or at least land/water.) Although some of that could be height based... dark areas for water, mid areas for land which gets diversified later on, and bright areas for mountains.

It might actually be better as an external tool in different tech and a more versatile UI which integrates with BME.

The part I'm unclear on is scaling it properly for the game. How does the game know what the "edge" of the map is? Does it restrict travel based on a % from the edge, is it a hard cutoff at a certain x/y/z vertex distance from 0,0,0, or some other method? I've always tested with the vanilla map and never tried messing with the edge areas or size to see how the game behaves.

Bloodpass said:
A 2D-3D transformation is a nice idea. Done similar things before. How big are these 2D maps typically in terms of pixel dimensions? I assume you can do one for height/altitude and another for terrain type? (Or at least land/water.) Although some of that could be height based... dark areas for water, mid areas for land which gets diversified later on, and bright areas for mountains.

It might actually be better as an external tool in different tech and a more versatile UI which integrates with BME.

The part I'm unclear on is scaling it properly for the game. How does the game know what the "edge" of the map is? Does it restrict travel based on a % from the edge, is it a hard cutoff at a certain x/y/z vertex distance from 0,0,0, or some other method? I've always tested with the vanilla map and never tried messing with the edge areas or size to see how the game behaves.

If I remember correctly, Thorgrims worked best where there was a one to one ratio between pixels and map faces - avoided any confusion on terrain types for a colour map import. So, for a 300x300 poly map the 2D resolution would be 300x300 pixels. I only ever used 2D imports where the faces were all the same size. I’m not sure what happens once that has been changed, but most people only reduce map poly density (i.e. in borders or at sea) after any imports. The fact that 2D images were a square grid and the map polys were triangular must have been catered for on import.

Any need for Viking Conquest or large map compatibility? This isn't in a release yet, but I added new settings within config.ini which let you modify the camera navigation limits. I also raised the defaults for compatibility with large maps, if anyone cares.

I suspect there may be some issues with VC due to potentially new map/object assets in moduleParties.py. (But I don't have a moduleParties.py for VC to test with at the moment, and not sure it's worth updating given the age of everything here.)

sorry for the question but when i press paint terrain i cant scroll down to see all terrain paintings , also when i tried to modify hispainia mod map it didnt launch it said not enough memory

Bloodpass said:
Any need for Viking Conquest or large map compatibility? This isn't in a release yet, but I added new settings within config.ini which let you modify the camera navigation limits. I also raised the defaults for compatibility with large maps, if anyone cares.

I suspect there may be some issues with VC due to potentially new map/object assets in moduleParties.py. (But I don't have a moduleParties.py for VC to test with at the moment, and not sure it's worth updating given the age of everything here.)

I like your editor and the ability to edit larger maps would be greatly appreciated

Edit: additionally have you thought about implementing the ability to move the location of the bandit and player spawn points they don't currently show in you editor

@zidozido
Might need a picture to understand what you mean. Screen too small and it's cutting off? You should be able to re-size the window to see the entire left panel, but I guess there is a minimum monitor resolution needed. For the large map memory error, that could probably be fixed with some JVM startup parameters (unless running on some low end hardware), but I haven't really tested on larger than "vanilla" sized maps. Non-high end laptops may have trouble running this (another win for the PC Master Race I guess).

@Ryantheskinny
Things MAY work with a large map, as long as it's not using different map assets (buildings/cities/etc.) from Warband, which I think VC has.

I think I've had a suggestion to add spawn points before, but it's probably more work than I can put in at this point to fully automate it. If I remember how that's done correctly, I think this editor could still help that by letting you find the XY coordinates you want on the map, which I imagine are what goes into the python file for spawns. Use "Select Triangle (Debug)" mode and click on the map to see the coordinates. I could be wrong about how adding spawn points is done but I guess someone could refresh my memory if I got it wrong.

Yeah, the only problem I have with large maps right now is the camera navigation limits. Everything else seems to work fine, even loading up vc map isn't really a problem. Aside from the textures but there is work around for that.

I did increase the camera navigation limits from the last version.. maybe not enough, but more importantly... cam limits are now configurable! I guess I forgot to point that out.
Just tweak the values in config.ini to increase the camera range:

Code:
1200                        #window width
900                         #window height
map.txt               	    #initial map
module_parties.py           #map objects
exportMap.txt               #filename for map export
exportModuleParties.py      #filename for objects export
0                           #initial x window position (left side of monitor by default)
0                           #initial y window position (top of monitor by default)
10                          #min Y camera range (low)
350                         #min Y camera range (high)
-320                        #min X camera range (left)
320                         #max X camera range (right)
-250                        #min Z camera range (forward)
300                         #max Z camera range (back)

:facepalm: Lol, I was waiting for you to update your tool this whole time under the understanding you had not added that yet.

Thanks for replying to set me straight!

Edit: The config file I have is missing the camera limits.

1200                        #width
1200                        #height
map.txt                  #initial map
module_parties.py          #map objects
exportMap.txt              #filename for map export
exportModuleParties.py      #filename for objects export
0                          #initial x window position
0                          #initial y window position

Oops..
Are you using the most recent version? I think I did two releases close together and added those settings probably in the second.

Er actually, looks like I didn't put that one out. Dang it.. yeah I should go ahead and do that soon. I could have sworn I uploaded that...

Okay - check MB Repo now. Let me know if I broke anything so I can fix it if needed... the only change should be that config expansion and a 1.0 label. Seems to be working fine here but I didn't do a ton of testing, and file IO stuff is where Linux/Windows differ a little.

Does the export function overwrite the module_parties file inside of the bloodpass folder? Because it doesn't seem to be doing anything when I click it.

Leviathan777 said:
Does the export function overwrite the module_parties file inside of the bloodpass folder? Because it doesn't seem to be doing anything when I click it.

it creates "exportedModuleParties", which has to be renamed. Kind of useful since Bloodpass doesn't have an undo fuction, but kind of a pain too.

Yeah I didn't want to accidentally screw up somebody's parties file so I took the cautious route. Undo would have taken significant extra effort.

Back
Top Bottom