Blog 2 - Scenes and why you haven't seen any.

Users who are viewing this thread

KickingJoub

Grandmaster Knight
A story of endless redoing.

The short answer to the question is fairly simple: Only months ago Seek found a new set of flora that we like, along with adding a few new props, so there wasn't much point to showing progress that would simply not represent reality. As such we've been reworking and redoing old scenes to fit our quality standards, which takes plenty of time. Personally I also have the annoying habbit of doing most of one scene, starting another one, then getting back to detailing the first one at some point in the future. Personally I've been busy with university and as tedious as assignments get, scening is sometimes even worse. More on that in the next section, but worry not, pictures are coming.

How does scening in Warband work anyway?
This section briefly discusses how scening is actually, mechanically done in Warband and why it's a chore. Feel free to skip to the picture section below if you aren't interested.

The first step is a terrain code, which determines the terrain type and shape, places a river and puts down random flora that gets in the way later. The terrain is made up out of polygons, the vertices (line crossing points) can be edited, causing the blocky looking terrain visible in some scenes. To add annoyance to a design challenge, the polygons aren't regular in shape, which leads to fun times with terrain painting as a road can go from perfectly straight to having jagged edges as a result of the polygons turning.
cChejuP.png
The perceptive ones among you will notice that pictured are 4 modified terrain nodes. The overall effect is a diamond pattern grid.

Next up are scene props, which have been sought out far and wide for RaW purposes. Rome wasn't built out of medieval houses after all. Props have position and scale, both of which can be edited to something along the lines of the 7th decimal, and of course rotation, which has to be eyeballed. There's no snapping or brushes, so every tree, bush, wall piece etc. has to be placed with extreme care to avoid misalignment. The final part is the AI mesh, made out of squares or triangles manipulated over every walkable surface. Essentially doubling or tripling the amount of fine tuning for every single prop, though trees rarely cause issues.
hkkBNDn.png
As you can see, the benches aren't big enough to be worth meshing around.

The part you've all been waiting. Pictures! (will be updated with more in the future, as soon as I sort out my files)
A Greek village.
OEUOeRp.png
ExOYAPL.png
oqrjZDN.png
XvzNLcV.png

As Joub sums it up more than adequately, scening can be a bit of a chore in Warband but with enough practice and imagination you can do some amazing scenes. Take a peek here for some examples. For the less artistically inclined id est, me, any scene/map making is a chore as soon as expectations and reality differ greatly but since scenes are dearly needed for immersion's sake I try my (second or third) best.
When starting on a scene I try to look for basic plans or an artist's view of what I wish to portray as a loose guideline since everything needs to be scaled to Warband's proportions and if those are not available I just use *imagination* but let's not mine that to extinction. After the idea is set in place I start with a completely flat terrain and start shaping it to whatever works close enough of what I want, I'll be honest that terrain editing is not my forté. After that plop some props there and keep making adjustments to terrain and props until it fits. Enough rambling on the obvious, here's some screenshots:

Multiplayer:

xPR8Y.jpg
Saw4Q.jpg

I had some more done but they need to have the flora updated.

Singleplayer:

Taverns:
4BTRX.jpg

bu-P9.jpg
ptgmN.jpg

7ZF5L.jpg

fHD0G.jpg
hLe1K.jpg
d9GSk.jpg

Villages:
OZaq_.jpg

VmsYU.jpg

Pg8Rl.jpg

lMRXo.jpg

rhNHW.jpg
yHwM1.jpg

Castle:
tNTuL.jpg

QYpNP.jpg

Spm5K.jpg

Town:
tdeeA.jpg

qrBQG.jpg

aZFVF.jpg

N-ELx.jpg

66z_o.jpg

6eGm8.jpg

79zDQ.jpg

RwtSq.jpg

mb26.1.jpg

h31Bm.jpg

When someone makes a Bannerlord joke, Taleworlds delays the game by one day.

Thought I had lost this scene, dug it up from the 2.6 test backup I had and made some minor changes:

B7nNu.jpg

n2TPy.jpg

i636g.jpg

AXsO_.jpg

NsFNq.jpg

Seek n Destroy said:
Here's another Etruscan town, this time roughly made with Fufluna (Populonia) in mind:

iBdSe.jpg

vjoxy.jpg

uw0ig.jpg

bUc6g.jpg

I-UOK.jpg

FwdZK.jpg

SKouE.jpg

LBE43.jpg

That's great. Have you ever visited Populonia? That area is definitely worthy a visit.

Can't say I have, I've only been to Rome ~15 years ago or more but I was too young to care. I remember being at the entrance of the senate and taking pictures of pretty much anything but ended up losing the camera's film. There's many interesting places to visit in Italy and it's definitely worth a trip but I don't know if I'll ever make another one as I have a rare talent for getting lost and my Italian is more Spanish than anything  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom