Blade Symphony

Users who are viewing this thread

Blade Symphony is a 3rd person fast-paced dueling game by the team who made Dystopia, a HL2 mod. It's currently in Steam's Early Access program as an alpha product.

The gameplay looks to be simple to learn, hard to master. Basically you attack using 3 stances (that you can chain together): light, balanced and heavy. If your swords clash (i.e. you hit at roughly the same time), the one with the heavier stance will do damage. To mix it up, there are several moves that you can do. You can do jump attacks, roll, side step, etc. You can also charge by holding down the attack button. Charging increases your movement speed, and your stance, whether light, balanced or heavy, will be faster. To counter this, you can use your throwing weapon (a shuriken I think?), which will damage anyone who's busy doing something, e.g. charging, attacking or rolling/jumping/dodging but will be blocked by someone either not doing anything (moving is fine) or blocking. The shuriken animation takes forever though, so you can't do it to disrupt someone's combo.

It looks really skill-based, and could be pretty interesting.

Force's "Check Out..." video
Game webpage

As I said, it's up on Steam's Early Access. You can buy in for 14.99 USD.

That's looking pretty awesome. Damn sight more playable than ****ing Clang, that's for sure. :lol:
I don't like the idea of swapping stances with numbers, though. That sounds a bit awkward. Does anyone know, can you just bind attacks to buttons? I have like seven buttons on my mouse, it'd be great to just bind attacks to those. If you can do that, I'm probably going to buy this.

Gave it a whirl a little while ago, its nice but didn't grab me yet, but definitely want to revisit it a bit later.

It is less like m&b and more like jedi outcast injected with good fighting game mechanics, which should sound perfect to some people I think.

I only played for a night, but found the few people on pretty nice and helpful with giving out tips for a beginner while I was getting teabagged.

Seems most people are ok with the stance switching 1 - 4 mid swing combos and the like. I think you can rebind those keys to something else. It  was important to swap stances midcombo while attacking people, and I forget what the guy there told me but either starting out light and using heavier combos as you go.

But yeah, not a bad game, I still think it could use some work in terms of the animations and reactions and things, but that is always difficult to get right for indies.

Well, there are currently 3 "characters" to play as from what I can tell. They each have their own unique move sets for fast/balanced/heavy attacks. There are 4 weapon types (katana, scimitar, jian, foil) which have different strengths and weaknesses, as well as unique defense types. Only katanas have a static block, while jians have an elaborate parry-like maneuver (if you played Warband during the closed beta and remember the parry system that was implemented for a while and then removed, it looks exactly like that) which staggers your opponent if you time it properly. Scimitars don't actually have a defensive option, rather they have a kick which knocks down opponents who are performing some kind of action like blocking or grappling. Foils don't have a defensive move either, particularly, but they have a feint.

It's a good thing that the game is in Alpha, though. Some things are downright strange (like initiating a grapple while holding a block, instant grapple lock-ons, and a bugged animation when you sheathe your sword and throw a shuriken at the same time). Some other things need balancing. One of the characters has an incredibly fast move set with lots of sweeping attacks, and can chain 6 attacks together which is more than any of the others by far. His fast attacks are so fast that you can't initiate on him when he's throwing a shuriken at range. You can't block his shuriken and melee him after because of how quickly he throws out his swings. You just have to move into melee range and hope he initiates on you. :roll: Also, getting hit by the first of his attacks will ensure that (in the hands of a decent player) he lands his entire chain of attacks. He also has the unique potential of being able to follow up on a shuriken hit at range by dashing into melee range and landing an attack before the shuriken stagger wears off. Out of all the characters, I feel like he has the most potential in skilled hands, but because of his spammy nature he gets picked up by a lot of new players as well, and to good effect.

That tendency kind of limits your weapon choice to katanas or jians, because they actually have a defensive ability. If you take a scimitar against that guy, he's going to rip you to pieces unless you can dodge him perfectly. Same with the foil.

Ah well, alpha is alpha. Though isn't the choice of weapons a bit odd? Katana, jian, scimitar - okay, I see what they're up to, they're going for an eastern theme. And then foil out of nowhere. WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21at7o7ET1c&feature=youtu.be

Recorded Orion and myself playing this for the first time. Forgot to record myself so you just get to listen to him rage whenever something goes wrong.

My favorite kill on him :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21at7o7ET1c&feature=youtu.be#t=11m42s

You do whine quite a bit. :lol:

But that's why we love you Marmad. <3
HOW DO I GET UP, HOW DO I GET UP *rolls around hopelessly while Kev takes advantage and spams attacks*

Typical Kev. :lol:

Yeah, that was quite funny. :lol:
I'm seriously tempted to get this game. I realized that I can get around the stance switching nonsense by just macroing **** on my programmable buttons, so that's no longer an obstacle, and now I'm kinda struggling to find an excuse not to shell out cash for an unfinished product.

Back
Top Bottom