Black Shields (BkS) bks bks bks bks bks bks bks bks bks bks bks bks

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Dawg said:
Captain Lust said:
Rhade said:
facebook.com/bksswag

H1Z1 Early Access drops tomorrow. Hoping it goes well, hoping to see some of you guys there.
What is the appeal of this over something like Dayz?
Mod, standalone, or both?

It's a standalone. On Steam today.

@Lust

The appeal is that DayZ did a lot of things wrong, despite pioneering the genre. Games like Rust have tried to fix the survival feel as well as base building but for various reasons have fallen short. We're hoping h1z1 is an improvement over the other entries, but we'll see how it goes. DayZ's combat has always felt sluggish, it's UI non-intuitive, and it's base building non-existent.

sotamursu123 said:
u shuld play smyt so u kan raep mok :grin:DD

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Watched some of the finals between Titan and the NA team the other night -- Smite will never be the eSport LoL or other mobas are, if for no other reason than it's difficult to watch. The same third person view that people love about it make it hard to see what's going on, and even at the highest levels, the best idea they have come up with is a slightly pulled back camera that barely shows what's really happening on a bigger scale. eSports, at it's core, is about marketability and allowing people to watch easily and follow the game. Smite is never going to be able to compete in that aspect, period, even if I think other mobas are better in other ways as well.

Rhade said:
Mad Dawg said:
Captain Lust said:
Rhade said:
facebook.com/bksswag

H1Z1 Early Access drops tomorrow. Hoping it goes well, hoping to see some of you guys there.
What is the appeal of this over something like Dayz?
Mod, standalone, or both?

It's a standalone. On Steam today.

@Lust

The appeal is that DayZ did a lot of things wrong, despite pioneering the genre. Games like Rust have tried to fix the survival feel as well as base building but for various reasons have fallen short. We're hoping h1z1 is an improvement over the other entries, but we'll see how it goes. DayZ's combat has always felt sluggish, it's UI non-intuitive, and it's base building non-existent.
Oh, was asking Lusty which he meant.  Mod was awesome when populated but spoiled due to hackers and bugs.  Epoch (a mod for the mod) looked more polished and incorporated base building, but still has many of the same glitches such as having to look backwards to simply climb down a ladder.  Standalone is pointless without vehicles or item storage, the sun glare is ridiculous, and suffers from the same zombie AI problems as the mod with them glitching through walls and either totally ignoring you or chasing you across the whole map with no way to de-aggro them.

I'll be trying out H1Z1 as time permits.  The appeal is nearly no hacks for the Planetside engine and a much better watchdog system for hacking, substance with vehicles, and much more polished all around.  Plus the potential scope of the game with the possible server size would create more of what was great about the mod, chance encounters with other players giving you the fear of losing what you've accumulated so far or the benefit of taking theirs.

Decent overview of pro's.

I think a more overhead view would help. Not like LoL or Dota but much higher than currently. They need an ingame replay system better than what they currently have. I can't access the tournament games at all to watch a demo/replay to try to understand what they are doing. I do like the faster pace of the game and it's different enough to enjoy it unlike LoL. I can't enjoy that game having played HoN and Dota 2 for 4k+ hours.

H1Z1 unlocks in 1 hour it says. So 3 or 4 PST? Will check it out with a few friends.

Yeah, I dunno. The camera angle is probably the biggest factor in my enjoyment of smite over other mobas. In fact, i'd go as far as saying that I'm not a moba fan, I'm a smite fan. And I don't think it's particularly hard to follow either. If you're still newish, you're going to be clueless about a lot of stuff anyways. The same goes for me when I try to watch dota or league streams.

I've played probably 2000+ hon games and close to 500 league games. I definitely know my way around mobas.

It was still so hard to follow what was actually going on in Smite; they try so hard to be different from other mobas, but in the process lose what makes other mobas so successful, imo. I have played maybe 1.5 games of dota in my life and it's still pretty obvious what's going on and I can get a good feel of things. In Smite, not so much, and if you get the camera to an angle where the casual viewer can, it's going to be an angle not very unlike league, dota or hon. Smite can be fun to play, but it's esport possibility is drastically lower, in my opinion.

h1z1 is having login issues atm. A huge amount of people hammering the server.

I didn't really care for Dayz's low population (60 person servers) with such a huge land mass - it seemed like pvp opportunities were too few. What is H1Z1's population capped at?

I agree with the low population issue with Dayz.

h1z1 was built with the premise of having hundreds per server. Early access will probably see 60-100 per server, and the population caps should grow as the map and game both grow. If I understand correctly, there will be a lot more players, an ability to actually build bases, and more than just camping.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be more fun for you to play and watch, or that you can't have that preference. It's a subjective assessment.

I'm just making the observation that given Smite's camera design, it makes casual watching and viewing much more difficult. In turn, smite will never reach the high levels of visibility and competition in the esports world that other mobas like League and Dota have because the ease of viewing isn't remotely close and the big meat of the market is the more casual crowd who don't want to have to work to understand what's happening.

Rhade said:
I'm not saying it shouldn't be more fun for you to play and watch, or that you can't have that preference. It's a subjective assessment.

I'm just making the observation that given Smite's camera design, it makes casual watching and viewing much more difficult. In turn, smite will never reach the high levels of visibility and competition in the esports world that other mobas like League and Dota have because the ease of viewing isn't remotely close and the big meat of the market is the more casual crowd who don't want to have to work to understand what's happening.

Smite has already become huge in the eSport world, they're the third largest MOBA and have had the third largest prize pool in eSport history. If you don't believe me, just look it up :wink:

http://www.esportsearnings.com/tournaments
http://www.newzoo.com/insights/december-2014-pc-game-rankings-smite-triumphant-dota-dethroned/

Back
Top Bottom