Black African Faction

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think it's under represented? How many movies/tv shows do you see set in medieval Sub Saharan Africa vs medieval Europe? No one is saying it needs to be created but only that it would be nice. I'd definitely watch a decent movie set in medieval Africa over a decent one set in medieval Europe simply because I have been over exposed to the latter.

Jesus Christ, you're retarded. Europe and Africa never met until colonial times, 400 years after bannerlord, 250 after warband. Just because you're a lefty tosser it doesn't mean we want to see or hear about a **** idea for a DLC.
Awww the little one doesn't hasn't attained decent reading comprehension yet, I specifically criticized the notion that the setting HAS to imitate Europe as closely as it does and even then these cultures had significant interactions with who the Aserai are based on, why not place them South West of the Aserai? Jesus Christ why are you so offended that someone is suggesting to add an African inspired faction?

Awww the little one doesn't hasn't attained decent reading comprehension yet, I specifically criticized the notion that the setting HAS to imitate Europe as closely as it does and even then these cultures had significant interactions with who the Aserai are based on, why not place them South West of the Aserai? Jesus Christ why are you so offended that someone is suggesting to add an African inspired faction?
bannerlord needs a lot of work. a lot. they don't need retards asking for the worst idea possible. go out in battle wearing my loin cloth and wielding my wooden spear. sounds like fun gameplay, maybe you can stick bones through your noses or wait for lightning to strike just to make a fire

Was wondering how someone with this kind of behavior is still not banned since being registered in 2013, but then all posts are from 2020...

Yes, keep going, chalk-man. Your fear feeds the afriKKKan revolution
PWfHb.png
Reported.

Instead of arguing with people about whether or not they belong in a fantasy game, can't you make a moodboard of sort with pictures of what you have in mind. They could absoloutely fit in, but you calling everyone who disagrees racist gets you nowhere, scrap up images and convince people that it could be pretty cool.

Some examples i can think off:

West african cavalry

Aksum Infantry

Wouldn't have to be historically accurate as long as it's fun and doesn't look totally out of place. Could be a Skirmish focused faction with pretty high avg athletics and throwing spears.

I have to say i never met a racist person in my life so far.
It suprises me whenever i find one in a forum...

If they ever make a DLC i would really like to get an south african inspired faction.

Tbh the Kingdom of Aksum (nowaday Ethiopia) was one of the first Christian state in existance, and the only north african state that resisted the islamic wave. Said to be the resting place of Ark of teh Covenant. They were key power in the region for a very long time and were no push overs. I don't see why they couldn't fit somewhere south east of the current map.

Anyone who is legitimately interested might check out the Sage's Guild for historical discussion :wink: there's gonna be more, just some examples

Alright, knowledge learned from a college level class on African History I half attended, go!

To build off/amend the points made by jacob, West Africa had most of what you would classically define as empires. However, some significant points need to be made in understanding how society was structured and why. In general, despite popular belief, Africa is a pretty fertile and naturally wealthy region. The issue has never been owning the land, for the continent is massive, therefore the problem is having the labor to work it. This has wide-reaching implications for societies and states, as the reason why it never crystallized into a patchwork of states like much of the rest of the Old World did, is because of the lack of capability or even necessity in intensive development of the land on the level that other regions required. Not to say that Sub-Saharan African methods of agriculture were unsophisticated: it was just really damn easy, and once set up the amount of effort required to maintain it wasn't as significant as in some of the harder fields in N. Europe, for example. And when the population grew and the capability of the surrounding land maxed out, they just moved out and established new villages. Going back to the issue of labor, this is how power would generally be defined, and thus where the tradition of slavery began in Africa. Though the size of the land meant that slavery was held in a different light than in the American colonies, because if you really mistreated your slaves chances are they'd just run off.

Now then, with that established, let's move back to empires. The issue of famine that jacob mentioned I'm not as familiar with, though if I had to hazard a guess given the dates, it might be related to the climatic changes resulting from the Little Ice Age. Before Sokoto and Bornu though, which fall more into the early modern period in terms of chronology, for the classic West African Sahel empires of Ghana (300CE to 1200CE), Mali (1235CE-1600CE), and Songhai (1464CE-1591CE) the basis of power was more based around exchange and trade. The overlapping dates account for the continuation of prior empires as rump states or as puppets for the sake of legitimacy, btw. The classic example is the trade of salt, from the Sahara desert, in exchange for gold, from mines in the rainforests in the south. However, control over exchange was hardly limited to these items, and control manifested in a few ways, from direct sponsorship of trade by the Mansa, to securing the routes politically and keeping the routes safe by hunting down bandits. I'd postulate that imperial power increased further by the time of Imperial Mali with its espousing of Islam, which in addition to linking it further to the North African states and empires, also reinforced controls over trade through precepts of Sharia law (which, again, is not merely a set of social regulation but had a significant amount of say in mercantile jurisprudence).

To answer the second part of your question, again using the examples of the West African Empires, they were quite advanced, probably on par in some respects, and likely more advanced in yet other respects, than their contemporaries in feudal Europe. The security of trade routes in Mali at its height was legendary, as was its wealth in gold, of course. They also sponsored significant architectural projects and more importantly the construction of universities, where they attracted students and staff from across the Muslim world. They maintained a significant army, though I don't remember if it was a standing army or not.

Now in regards to your last question, it's a bit difficult to say. There are some aspects that seem feudal, but then again they aren't exactly exclusive to a feudal society. Regardless, I'll say that, for the most part, Africa did not really have a structured feudal society. There were hierarchies, oftentimes with aristocrats, though ownership based on heredity varied depending on region and cultures, or even on the particular village. However, in the case of the empires, rule over provinces was given to governors, who in turn were put in place by the Mansa, and with a few exceptions were not hereditary posts. From there, however, government control was fairly loose and organization was still based around city-states and tribes.

Going back to Jacob's points, in East Africa empires were more sparse, but for reasons more complex than the presence of absence of food surpluses. They did, however, exist, but they manifested more as shifting hegemonies between the big mercantile city states of the Swahili coast, whether it is Pate, Zanzibar, Somalia, or eventually Oman.

Central and South Africa had states as well, some of them quite considerable. Central Africa had the Kingdom of Kongo, which acted as an equal in dealings with the Portuguese for centuries, and is a fascinating subject in its own right, as well as the Kingdoms of Ndongo and Matamba, in particular led by the indefatigable Queen Nzinga Mbande. South Africa would for the most part remain stateless, for reasons discussed above, but with the very notable exception of Great Zimbabwe, though it remains quite mysterious as we lack written records for it, as despite its wealth and size its contact with the outside world was handled largely through intermediaries.

I'll end with this, as this was probably one of the main points of the course as it was imparted to me. Africa was not a marginal continent but was an integral part of the world trade system, whether it is that of the Old World or the emergent and truly global network including the New World, and its history is tied up with the greater history of the world, not separate from it.

Oh, and this deals largely with West Africa, though I touched on the other regions, I didn't quite give them justice. The basic principle I started with largely applies to all of them, but they are all extremely interesting on their own, so if you'd like I can write on the other macro regions of Africa and share what I know.

african arms and armor, quoting the post here removed the images for some reason

Instead of arguing with people about whether or not they belong in a fantasy game, can't you make a moodboard of sort with pictures of what you have in mind. They could absoloutely fit in, but you calling everyone who disagrees racist gets you nowhere, scrap up images and convince people that it could be pretty cool.

Some examples i can think off:

West african cavalry

Aksum Infantry

Wouldn't have to be historically accurate as long as it's fun and doesn't look totally out of place. Could be a Skirmish focused faction with pretty high avg athletics and throwing spears.
I haven't looked throug the entire thread but some of the comments are defenitely racist.
When somebody doesn't like the idear he could write that he would prefer an other faction or no DLC's at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
yo this ****'s easy to plan out in a way thats historically consistent, can compete against the european factions, and involves real world kingdoms and not the more kin based affinity groups in the more hunter-gatherer parts of da Savannah
you nerds have no imagination smh
Africa_is_kewl.png

Thread has been reviewed. It has been extensively derailed from the original topic and devolved into a heated debate that violated forum rules on multiple occasions. OPs original idea has been presente and for the first part been received constructively.

The thread will remain closed.

If you want to have discussions about historic accuracy and impact and relations between cultures, please resort to the off-topic section of this forum. If you want to have a debate, generally be considerate of other participants views and be reasonable in your choice of words, assumptions about statements being made and first and foremost: don't be a deconstructive troublemonger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom