Black African Faction

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bother trying to point out obvious African factions/nations that influenced Europe during the time period. It's been nearly 20 pages of trying to do that with various people claiming it's irrelevant. ?

Eh- I didn't bother reading it all but if TW can reach deep into the steppes and deserts- there can definitely be an African themed culture with how often Africa featured in European politics being right across the Mediterranean from most of the main powers of the 1100s and providing soldiers for several wars.

Mods will add it in I am fairly sure- the current map looks like there is room for at least 2 more factions anyway.

Eh- I didn't bother reading it all but if TW can reach deep into the steppes and deserts- there can definitely be an African themed culture with how often Africa featured in European politics being right across the Mediterranean from most of the main powers of the 1100s and providing soldiers for several wars.

Mods will add it in I am fairly sure- the current map looks like there is room for at least 2 more factions anyway.
Exactly the point a few of us have been trying to make to "some" people in this topic, but it's futile. Hopefully TW decides to do it in a DLC, but if not we always have the modding community.

More content, particularly diverse and unique content, is always great.

The Umayyad caliphate were not Africans. That's like saying that Romans were Africans when they controlled parts of Tunis after the fall of the Carthaginians. The original post talks about "Great Zimbabwe" which is frankly absurd to include with the Middle Ages. Have any of you ever read about this? What tech level did the Zulu possess at Rorke's Drift? My God..... True African natives never colonized anything from the middles Ages on to the industrial revolution. Why, well let me guess.....It has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with Evolution.

Last edited:
Egypt, Berbers, and Tuareg definitely had some impacts on Europe and interacted heavily with Europe on 3 fronts- Spain, N Africa/Sicily, and Fatimid Egypt/Abbasids.
I have no clue who the Tuaregs are, but the Egyptians and Berbers were not "Black Africans", they were technically speaking "North Africans", but racially they were Arabs, and their interactions with European peoples is represented in the game right now through the Aserai, although the Aserai are more based on pre-islamic arab tribes of the Arabian peninsula.

Your case would be stronger if you were asking for African representation through the Aserai, perhaps in the form of a minor faction, as opposed to the addition of completely new factions.

The original post talks about "Great Zimbabwe" which is frankly absurd to include with the Middle Ages.
Please, do enlighten me oh sage one, when did the "Great Zimbabwe" rise and fall? Was it... by any chance... during the 11th-15th Century maybe? Or was it.. perhaps the 12th-15th Century? Hmm, oh and also... do you happen to have the historically agreed upon date for the end of the Middle Ages?

Wasn't it during.. oh let's see... the 15th Century as well? Seems to me that the Kingdom of Zimbabwe, which is renown for the "Great Zimbabwe" fortification/city in Africa, was definitely around and alive during the Middle Ages.

True African natives never colonized anything from the middles Ages on to the industrial revolution. Why, well let me guess.....It has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with Evolution.

Please kindly take your chauvinism elsewhere, it's not really needed here.

Please, do enlighten me oh sage one, when did the "Great Zimbabwe" rise and fall? Was it... by any chance... during the 11th-15th Century maybe? Or was it.. perhaps the 12th-15th Century? Hmm, oh and also... do you happen to have the historically agreed upon date for the end of the Middle Ages?

Wasn't it during.. oh let's see... the 15th Century as well? Seems to me that the Kingdom of Zimbabwe, which is renown for the "Great Zimbabwe" fortification/city in Africa, was definitely around and alive during the Middle Ages.

European countries annexed vast potions of Africa when it came to be understood that they did not have the means to combat takeovers. It's very simple to glean. They were far behind in war technology because they had very limited contact, it had been this way for hundreds of years.

The problem I see is map layout. You can't have a faction south of Aserai just bordering the Aserai alone for gameplay dynamic reasons. The closest solution would be expanding the desert area, removing aserai from the south west but expanding a bit in the south east, while adding an African themed faction in the south west. There only being 2 connection points to the actual map, and each of the southern factions only being able to go through these chokepoints could be a good or bad thing, I'm not sure. Would feel a bit crammed in my opinion.

Ideally the southern part was expanded further and included an india themed civilisation to the very south east, making that southern part a bit more meaningful, not as lifeless and isolated. Ultimately the game centres around the empire in the centre though, so too much expansion in just one direction (south) might dilute the core game unless more goals centered around that newly added southern landmass are included.

This doesn't strike me as a small task. Wouldn't expect anything from the release in that regard. Perhaps as an expansion or sequel?

That was over 500 years after bannerlords timeline. That is also an extremely antiquated and disproven statement. Prior to the mongol diaspora and the ensuing rise of gunpowder, Africans were on the same technological level as Europeans. Careful- your ignorance is showing
uhhh..wrong. Egypt..ok.. middle and southern africa...haha no the whole of africa was not on the same level as europeans..take the wakanda fantasy elsewhere.

like the Berbers and Moors
Berbers and Moors were not black. Why do people keep peddling this misinformation? Moors were Berbers, for starters, and genetic studies show very little overlap between North African populations and Sub-Saharan African populations. The genetic isolation probably has a lot to do with the gigantic, lifeless desert between them. Berbers are far more genetically similar to Iberians and Arabs than Black African populations. The only significant contact that Sub Saharan African populations had with Classical and post-classical period Europeans/Asians were that there were some kingdoms in modern day Sudan and Ethiopia that on occasion were traded with by Egyptian, and later Roman, traders. There's no evidence of any significant political or military contact between them.

I have no problem with TaleWorlds using their creative license to add another Black African civilization/faction at some point, but right now I'd rather they finish the already rather large game they've made so far. You historical revisionists need to stop making **** up, though.

Please explain to me how wanting a cultural representation of yourself is racist? God damn talk about privileged.
ok so create a mod where youre represented, numbnuts. Dont be so daft..is it less priviledged to demand that your specific culture (skin color lets be honest) is represented and then browbeat others when you dont get your way? The delusion of humanity at this point sickens me.

European countries annexed vast potions of Africa when it came to be understood that they did not have the means to combat takeovers. It's very simple to glean. They were far behind in war technology because they had very limited contact, it had been this way for hundreds of years.
Not debating these points here, I was just baffled you said the "Great Zimbabwe" is not to be included in the Middle Ages when... it was literally founded and fell to ruin during the course of the Middle Ages.

Quite perplexing.

I don't think Taleworlds needs to have a 'Hammerfell' in Calradia maybe just a some companions or some other NPCs scattered throughout the game like in Warband. They could also mention the games equivalent to Africa in the game.
Regardless, my main character is Black even if other people may not like it. The main reason didn't get Mordhau was because I didn't have that option.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Black people and Africa in this thread. I don't most of these comments are coming from an Africanist or that any of the people here even knows what that word means. Africa had medieval warfare like Eurasia. There were kingdoms and empires in Africa too. Africans and Europeans have always had contact with each other just as migrants can cross the Mediterranean today. There were White slaves and Black slavers. And in the past Black people colonized parts of Europe like Spain during the Middle Ages. That is why some Europeans are more swarthy than others. Black people were not just locked in Sub Saharan Africa but there scattered throughout the world. And Europeans weren't locked up in Europe either, people used ships to trade. Meroe had something to do with the Crusades. A lot of the early Arabs would be considered either a White Aryan or Black but because of miscegenation they look different now. North Africa's people was most very dark skinned but centuries of White slavery has changed that dramatically and now the people there are very mixed. People still are very ignorant when it comes down to Black people and its tiresome.

Too much uniformitarianism and biases here about African/Black history. But I rather a few Black people be sprinkled in the game with a references to the games equivalent to Africa.

This thread is a disaster. Nevertheless...

I support the idea of new factions appearing in the game later, as DLC, and an African-inspired faction would be a really interesting choice. That being said, devs need to focus on fixing/fleshing out the game that we currently have so that there's a stronger base to build DLC off of, particularly of such a magnitude as additional factions. Also, if more factions are to be added, we will certainly be needing more map space for them to be placed on, as I find the current map to be a bit... Cramped.

First off I do not agree with the warped historical representation of black african kingdoms/tribes some on this thread are advocating. Berbers and Moors were not black african and had much more in common with Iberians or Arabs. Egyptians were not black (however they did have extensive relation with Ethiopians, shared a culture and were occassionally ruled by them), and Carthaginians were not black either. However, this does not exclude the possibility that said factions did not have access to black african mercenary troops or traded with them.
The only black african factions that had a historical relevance for Eurasia in that timeframe (lets say late antiquity/early middle ages) would be the kingdoms in modern day Ethiopia south of Egypt, e.g. Aksum. Those were technologically as advanced as other players in the region. They traded and served as a gate to the sub saharan region, as the Nile made the access easier than in west africa where a huge desert acted as a major barrier.

That being said, I do agree however that a black african inspired faction would be nice to see in Bannerlord. Such a faction could be culturally similar to the Aserai situated just south of them, maybe south east with access to the sea.
Unit-wise they could be characterized by a mix of light/medium cav and elite skirmishers, supplemented with some light tribal infantry to get some Zulu in the mix.
For balancing they could also be move south west to also border the Kuzaits.

I challenge TW to implement War elephants lol
latest

Too often in medieval and historical video games, the African civilizations are over looked
They're not overlooked. They're ignored. There's no compulsion to represent everything. If game designers want to focus on a fictional land inspired by just europe and middle east, they can. They don't have to also include africa, or america, and there's absolutely nothing wrong about not including them.
I find it kinda annoying when people impose that everyone has to be represented in a piece of media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom