[BL] Warbanner - Bringing Warband to Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Here are some of my suggestions for a Warband-style mod:

Chambers
I believe they worked in WB if you were in the beginning part of a readying animation as the enemy's weapon was hitting your body, and if you're facing towards them; it was simple but effective; BL changes this by making it based on weapon collision instead, which might sound logical on paper, but in practice the functionality is underwhelming, and it can ironically result in more unrealistic-looking lucky chambers happening at illogical angles

Swing arcs
Try to make it so that attacks don't get stuck behind you; just reimplementing Warband's animations straight-up would be a decent upgrade; holding a left swing and moving forward in BL looks awful in particular; the current swing arcs aren't suitable for a broader range of environments (especially closed areas), which might face further problems in future custom-made maps (but are a problem even in TW's maps)

Stances
This technically might involve skill, but only in the same way that juggling while riding a unicycle and balancing an umbrella on your nose is skilful; I think it's horrible for groupfighting; it feels like an unnecessary, inelegent feature; and it's funny that TW's defenders were once saying "yeah it's a bad idea but it has zero effect", yet various effects have since come to light

Directional shields
For melee it's okay, but the shield should more reliably protect at the front against projectiles (this is a "gameplay > realism" argument); if you've bought a shield, equipped it, held RMB, pointed the camera at the archer, the shield ought to work, otherwise what's the point? it's cheap and unfun if you can shoot around it easily, and there are other solid ways archers can get shots in instead; there may also be problems with hit detection in melee, I remember there could be weird moments where you'd hit someone's back yet their shield near the front magically/unfairly absorbed the hit; the same can happen with cavalry shields

Kicks
They're somewhat fine, but they should only connect if they hit your centre body (not your hand or shield), which right now can sometimes increase their range bizarrely; counter-kicking is good (it was possible in WB too); but in BL you can't jump over kicks, which was really fun and epic in WB; it's my impression that WB used something like an "isGrounded" check to see if you could be kicked; right now in BL you instead just "blob" in midair if you get kicked, and your momentum completely stops, which doesn't feel any more realistic or fun or polished

Jumping
In BL jumping is extremely lame, especially for a fully 3D game that has a lot of verticality in its maps (battlement walls, slopes, ramps, ladders, stairs, etc.), which will become even more prevalent with future custom-made maps; I liked how WB had Insurgency's approach for jumping, where it did what a jump is supposed to do (and didn't gimp it) yet you couldn't constantly do it (like CS's bunnyhopping) because of a cooldown timer, which it shared with kicking; BL's physics have an unrealistically weird floaty feel; this and other things (e.g. the ground touch after a short fall) unnecessarily make soldiers seem like 80-year-olds with arthritis rather than warriors

Edges
When you jump close to an edge, your jump is more than halved; I don't know whether this is a result of a rookie mistake relating to an "isGrounded" issue (like when beginners try to make a platformer) or a deliberate feature for the sake of supposed realism (because jumping while half off an edge might look weird), but for the sake of "gameplay > realism" (and for more WB-style gameplay) this should be reverted

Foot movement
Every single time I watch a stream of BL again after a while, the infantry movement strikes me as very poor quality, dinky and sluggish; even just for visual's sake I'd want to improve it, but for gameplay too it's like they tried making it more realistically "weighted" despite that overall it just makes characters seem strangely fat, gimped and rickety, as though moving around with molasses

Rotation
In WB's MP (not SP) the body would sharply follow the camera rotation when idle, but slow down when attacking or doing other things; in BL the rotation isn't as bad as WB's SP but a lot worse than WB's MP, since the character stupidly stands there for a second before turning (slightly); for a Warband-style mod I think the rotation should be copied directly; I can't think of anything right now that would improve upon that

Weight
WB opted for a more universal speed across all classes (possibly with very minor difference based on armour/equipment) because it was proven during tests more than 12 years ago that bigger differences of speed leads to trolling and annoying gameplay; kiting can become all too easy and people can delay rounds just by running around

Horses
BL's double-tapping feature for cavalry feels pretty good, but I'd hope something can be tweaked to make it less abusable; it might need a cooldown timer (especially the "yah" sound), so it can't be spammed constantly; I liked how horses in WB would more easily rear up when bumping into things (since it created a bigger need for awareness, so they can't just be treated like bumper cars); one of the worst aspects about BL is how cavalry can slide you around as if you're on ice; it severely messes up the gameplay and looks rubbish

Spears
Make anti-cavalry more fun to play; spears should be less floaty and more precise; make sure it's just as "easy" to rear horses as it was in WB; make it so you can rear horses while jumping (not necessarily realistic but it's fun, and it makes spears more versatile against cavalry); spears can end up a little OP in melee sometimes, so maybe something can be done about that, but the fun of anti-cavalry is the main priority; someone mentioned something about blocked stabs stunning you for a while, which might be important

Overhead thrusts
I think these are fine, and it's one of the nicer additions; it's not ideal that it can be harder to read whether it's an up or down stab in the heat of the moment, but it's not too bad either; I'm not that fussed about polearms having side swing attacks but it can be fun sometimes

Weapon stun
It's too excessive and annoying; it makes it feel like the game stopped working when it happens; maybe reduce it to just shield stunning with a held polearm overhead

Horse archers
Just don't include them (at least not for competitive); there've been discussions about how to possibly balance them going literally as far back as 2005 on these messageboards, but it's just a massive waste of time, since their entire concept is fundamentally broken for anything except a cheap SP power-fantasy where bots won't complain if you abuse it (and Captains too); maybe the Khuzait can still exist if balanced viably in other ways

Archers
I don't play this class often, but the last time I tried it in BL, it felt awful; so hopefully it can be improved to make it more fun, yet still make sure it's not easily annoying or overpowered; IG had to limit the class to 4 or 5 per team (with 50 people playing); make sure arrows don't penetrate shields, whether it's a bug or an intentional feature, it's not a good/fun feature for MP

Camera problems
Make it so releasing the tilde key makes the camera instantly go back to default view; BL's slower camera rotation adds nothing but maybe a smoother presentation for casual console gamers who argue "cinematic > gameplay"; any other functional improvements to how the camera interacts with obstacles would be good; WB's camera was pretty much ideal

Item selection
Either include an improved version of WB's gear shop (with balance and interesting variety) or vastly improve BL's system so that you're not forced to play as a pathetic peasant in baggy trousers with an elf hat choosing between either a shield or spear; provide a decent mid-build that you can always afford, and make upgrading feel satisfying yet not OP

Chambers
I believe they worked in WB if you were in the beginning part of a readying animation as the enemy's weapon was hitting your body, and if you're facing towards them; it was simple but effective; BL changes this by making it based on weapon collision instead, which might sound logical on paper, but in practice the functionality is underwhelming, and it can ironically result in more unrealistic-looking lucky chambers happening at illogical angles

No.

Swing arcs
Try to make it so that attacks don't get stuck behind you; just reimplementing Warband's animations straight-up would be a decent upgrade; holding a left swing and moving forward in BL looks awful in particular; the current swing arcs aren't suitable for a broader range of environments (especially closed areas), which might face further problems in future custom-made maps (but are a problem even in TW's maps)

Yes

Stances
This technically might involve skill, but only in the same way that juggling while riding a unicycle and balancing an umbrella on your nose is skilful; I think it's horrible for groupfighting; it feels like an unnecessary, inelegent feature; and it's funny that TW's defenders were once saying "yeah it's a bad idea but it has zero effect", yet various effects have since come to light

Directional shields
For melee it's okay, but the shield should more reliably protect at the front against projectiles (this is a "gameplay > realism" argument); if you've bought a shield, equipped it, held RMB, pointed the camera at the archer, the shield ought to work, otherwise what's the point? it's cheap and unfun if you can shoot around it easily, and there are other solid ways archers can get shots in instead; there may also be problems with hit detection in melee, I remember there could be weird moments where you'd hit someone's back yet their shield near the front magically/unfairly absorbed the hit; the same can happen with cavalry shields

No, that's feature.

Kicks
They're somewhat fine, but they should only connect if they hit your centre body (not your hand or shield), which right now can sometimes increase their range bizarrely; counter-kicking is good (it was possible in WB too); but in BL you can't jump over kicks, which was really fun and epic in WB; it's my impression that WB used something like an "isGrounded" check to see if you could be kicked; right now in BL you instead just "blob" in midair if you get kicked, and your momentum completely stops, which doesn't feel any more realistic or fun or polished

Kicks sucks in bannerlord, should be just body.

Jumping
In BL jumping is extremely lame, especially for a fully 3D game that has a lot of verticality in its maps (battlement walls, slopes, ramps, ladders, stairs, etc.), which will become even more prevalent with future custom-made maps; I liked how WB had Insurgency's approach for jumping, where it did what a jump is supposed to do (and didn't gimp it) yet you couldn't constantly do it (like CS's bunnyhopping) because of a cooldown timer, which it shared with kicking; BL's physics have an unrealistically weird floaty feel; this and other things (e.g. the ground touch after a short fall) unnecessarily make soldiers seem like 80-year-olds with arthritis rather than warriors

Yes, jumping is bad.

Edges
When you jump close to an edge, your jump is more than halved; I don't know whether this is a result of a rookie mistake relating to an "isGrounded" issue (like when beginners try to make a platformer) or a deliberate feature for the sake of supposed realism (because jumping while half off an edge might look weird), but for the sake of "gameplay > realism" (and for more WB-style gameplay) this should be reverted

Foot movement
Every single time I watch a stream of BL again after a while, the infantry movement strikes me as very poor quality, dinky and sluggish; even just for visual's sake I'd want to improve it, but for gameplay too it's like they tried making it more realistically "weighted" despite that overall it just makes characters seem strangely fat, gimped and rickety, as though moving around with molasses
No.

Rotation
In WB's MP (not SP) the body would sharply follow the camera rotation when idle, but slow down when attacking or doing other things; in BL the rotation isn't as bad as WB's SP but a lot worse than WB's MP, since the character stupidly stands there for a second before turning (slightly); for a Warband-style mod I think the rotation should be copied directly; I can't think of anything right now that would improve upon that

Not really issue

Weight
WB opted for a more universal speed across all classes (possibly with very minor difference based on armour/equipment) because it was proven during tests more than 12 years ago that bigger differences of speed leads to trolling and annoying gameplay; kiting can become all too easy and people can delay rounds just by running around

That would lead to kiting again by ranged.

Horses
BL's double-tapping feature for cavalry feels pretty good, but I'd hope something can be tweaked to make it less abusable; it might need a cooldown timer (especially the "yah" sound), so it can't be spammed constantly; I liked how horses in WB would more easily rear up when bumping into things (since it created a bigger need for awareness, so they can't just be treated like bumper cars); one of the worst aspects about BL is how cavalry can slide you around as if you're on ice; it severely messes up the gameplay and looks rubbish

Just deal damage when hit objects/walls.

Spears
Make anti-cavalry more fun to play; spears should be less floaty and more precise; make sure it's just as "easy" to rear horses as it was in WB; make it so you can rear horses while jumping (not necessarily realistic but it's fun, and it makes spears more versatile against cavalry); spears can end up a little OP in melee sometimes, so maybe something can be done about that, but the fun of anti-cavalry is the main priority; someone mentioned something about blocked stabs stunning you for a while, which might be important

Spear might be improved.

Overhead thrusts
I think these are fine, and it's one of the nicer additions; it's not ideal that it can be harder to read whether it's an up or down stab in the heat of the moment, but it's not too bad either; I'm not that fussed about polearms having side swing attacks but it can be fun sometimes

Should stay.
Weapon stun
It's too excessive and annoying; it makes it feel like the game stopped working when it happens; maybe reduce it to just shield stunning with a held polearm overhead

Yeah, annoying.

Horse archers
Just don't include them (at least not for competitive); there've been discussions about how to possibly balance them going literally as far back as 2005 on these messageboards, but it's just a massive waste of time, since their entire concept is fundamentally broken for anything except a cheap SP power-fantasy where bots won't complain if you abuse it (and Captains too); maybe the Khuzait can still exist if balanced viably in other ways

Cancel them!

Archers
I don't play this class often, but the last time I tried it in BL, it felt awful; so hopefully it can be improved to make it more fun, yet still make sure it's not easily annoying or overpowered; IG had to limit the class to 4 or 5 per team (with 50 people playing); make sure arrows don't penetrate shields, whether it's a bug or an intentional feature, it's not a good/fun feature for MP

Are op.

Camera problems
Make it so releasing the tilde key makes the camera instantly go back to default view; BL's slower camera rotation adds nothing but maybe a smoother presentation for casual console gamers who argue "cinematic > gameplay"; any other functional improvements to how the camera interacts with obstacles would be good; WB's camera was pretty much ideal

Item selection
Either include an improved version of WB's gear shop (with balance and interesting variety) or vastly improve BL's system so that you're not forced to play as a pathetic peasant in baggy trousers with an elf hat choosing between either a shield or spear; provide a decent mid-build that you can always afford, and make upgrading feel satisfying yet not OP

Item selection might be good, but make armors cheaper than in warband, they were bloody useless mostly. Might reduce amount of slots too to 3 (head, body, legs).

I can't really respond to "yes" and "no" answers. No one has denied that stances are a feature, so I don't know why you're pointing that out. I was happy the beyblades got slowed down, but I think other types of rotation (e.g. when thrusting a polearm) could be better and less floaty. A more universal speed for "all classes" would include archers, but I guess tests should be done. Horses merely losing a bit of HP when bouncing haphazardly off walls wouldn't be punishing enough.

Chambers

Swing arcs

Stances

Directional shields

Kicks

Jumping

Edges

Foot movement

Rotation

Weight

Horses

Spears

Overhead thrusts

Weapon stun

Horse archers

Archers

Camera problems

Item selection

Excellent post…

I can't really respond to "yes" and "no" answers. No one has denied that stances are a feature, so I don't know why you're pointing that out. I was happy the beyblades got slowed down, but I think other types of rotation (e.g. when thrusting a polearm) could be better and less floaty. A more universal speed for "all classes" would include archers, but I guess tests should be done. Horses merely losing a bit of HP when bouncing haphazardly off walls wouldn't be punishing enough.
Well, it's my stance on questions you raised. It's not super detailed, but in general many issues are steps in good direction in bannerlord. Thing that i miss is burst movement that is strangely missing. Stances and directional shield are good features that might be half-done, but it doesn't mean they should be removed.

Problem with archers is that they have run&gun gameplay, and often wait until very last moment to release their arrows against shields then change weapon fast and sheathe their bow instantly which is not only problematic fropm gameplay perspective but breaks immersion. I would be ok with their speed IF they wouldn't get their get out of jail free card with fast weapon sheathe and be forced to drop the bow/xbow to fight melee.

I wasn't necessarily having a go at directional shields. It's mainly the shield's general hit detection that I don't like, especially for projectiles. Although, I do think it's stupid to have to recalibrate your shield's direction when rapidly turning to an archer in the heat of the moment (which will direct your shield to one side) or to have to angle yourself at a 45 degree angle when doing so instead. It's not preferable for a balanced, functional, elegant, competitive Warband-style mod.

Chambers

Swing arcs

Stances

Directional shields

Kicks

Jumping

Edges

Foot movement

Rotation

Weight

Horses

Spears

Overhead thrusts

Weapon stun

Horse archers

Archers

Camera problems

Item selection
Agreed with basically all of it

Chambers

Swing arcs

Stances

Directional shields

Kicks

Jumping

Edges

Foot movement

Rotation

Weight

Horses

Spears

Overhead thrusts

Weapon stun

Horse archers

Archers

Camera problems

Item selection
You basically sorted out every single problem with Bannerlord MP, worst designed multiplayers of the decade and we're only at the begging of it

I actively play Bannerlord but I occasionaly visit my old friend and play Warband on my old laptop when I am not home. To be honest, I don't want BL's combat to look, feel and play like Warband. That **** feels janky and old compared to BL. BL's animations are much more crisp, smooth and can't be abused as much as Warband's. Duels that take forever... No man. Thanks.

I actively play Bannerlord but I occasionaly visit my old friend and play Warband on my old laptop when I am not home. To be honest, I don't want BL's combat to look, feel and play like Warband. That **** feels janky and old compared to BL. BL's animations are much more crisp, smooth and can't be abused as much as Warband's.
It's a chance to improve on Warband. It's not like they're going to make the graphics the same. Many people looked forward to M&BII (ever since 2012) because they knew it could be improved upon in sensible ways. It had every chance of being a spectacular, glorious masterpiece that would have unequivocably left Warband in the dust. Yet instead it ended up being a convoluted, incompetent, crashy mess. Perhaps there's a way of implementing WB-style animations so that it's smoother? I don't think most people would object to that.

Duels that take forever... No man. Thanks.
I recorded some duels in Bannerlord...

If that's what it takes for duels to be shorter, I don't think it's for a good reason.

--

Also, two more ideas for a WB-style mod:

Switching items
BL's item switching has been problematic for 3+ years. I think it actually got worse at one point. It seems unreliable, and at the very least tedious and annoying. I don't think there were any problems with Warband's system; it worked really well, and it's not something I ever contemplated as being in need of a change.

Ladders/ramps
I can understand why ladders underwent a change, but since they're so clunky and slow now, something else could be included as well, especially for Skirmish/Battle. If ramps can be made to be raised in WB's style, then this might fill the same function that WB's ladders served; they used to work more like ramps anyway. Without these (or faster-style ladders) maps like San'di'boush or anything similar won't play out in the same way.

It's a chance to improve on Warband. It's not like they're going to make the graphics the same. Many people looked forward to M&BII (ever since 2012) because they knew it could be improved upon in sensible ways. It had every chance of being a spectacular, glorious masterpiece that would have unequivocably left Warband in the dust. Yet instead it ended up being a convoluted, incompetent, crashy mess. Perhaps there's a way of implementing WB-style animations so that it's smoother? I don't think most people would object to that.

I recorded some duels in Bannerlord...

If that's what it takes for duels to be shorter, I don't think it's for a good reason.

--

Also, two more ideas for a WB-style mod:

Switching items
BL's item switching has been problematic for 3+ years. I think it actually got worse at one point. It seems unreliable, and at the very least tedious and annoying. I don't think there were any problems with Warband's system; it worked really well, and it's not something I ever contemplated as being in need of a change.

Ladders/ramps
I can understand why ladders underwent a change, but since they're so clunky and slow now, something else could be included as well, especially for Skirmish/Battle. If ramps can be made to be raised in WB's style, then this might fill the same function that WB's ladders served; they used to work more like ramps anyway. Without these (or faster-style ladders) maps like San'di'boush or anything similar won't play out in the same way.

Feinting has always been a problem for M&B, I believe. I watched the video, and I must say I have not seen anything different than what it was in Warband. I never liked ''good'' players looking like they are having seizures when they are dueling, I tend to not duel or play with them. IMO, BL has way less of them compared to WB. Let's admit it, the core of the combat mechanics in M&B games in general is pretty abuse-liable. That's a problem in and of itself. One can feint a weapon (no matter how heavy it is) to eternity without any penalty in swing/movement speed whatsoever. In a game where everything thrives on physics, I was never a fan of that. It never made sense to me.

I believe most of the people who are disgruntled about BL's combat don't like the fact that they don't have full control over all the animations. Warband combat was much more sharp, and responsive. But I came to like that little bit of unpredictable nature of animations that comes with the BL's combat. It feels like it has much more room to make mistakes and/or do spectacular things. Animations have much more room to breath. I remember there were some godly players in Warband, you would consider yourself lucky if you could land a single hit on them. Now everyone has a chance to land a hit on each other and I like that. It may not be the best for duels, but it works well with other game modes, where there are multiple targets you need to be aware of.

I'm not against this mod though, If some people think that they have a better vision in terms of combat. I would like them to show it, and I will try it. Maybe there is something that I am missing, and maybe I'll love it. Lol, you never know.

Feinting has always been a problem for M&B, I believe. I watched the video, and I must say I have not seen anything different than what it was in Warband. I never liked ''good'' players looking like they are having seizures when they are dueling, I tend to not duel or play with them. IMO, BL has way less of them compared to WB. Let's admit it, the core of the combat mechanics in M&B games in general is pretty abuse-liable. That's a problem in and of itself. One can feint a weapon (no matter how heavy it is) to eternity without any penalty in swing/movement speed whatsoever. In a game where everything thrives on physics, I was never a fan of that. It never made sense to me.
I happened to play on servers in Warband where that over-feinting rarely happened (e.g. Battle, Siege), in which any over-feinters would just get shot, and it was less effective there generally. I guess sometimes I'd play on those crazy DM servers where people mostly do it for swag (which had plenty of other eyesore elements anyway). I didn't really do duel that much, and if I did then I'd prefer to do 1h+shield duels, where 1h feinting wasn't as over-the-top as it is in that BL video.

(While I'm not necessarily keen to defend over-feinting, it's basically the equivalent of the crazy stepovers that you'd see a younger Cristiano Ronaldo do in football, and it isn't always sensible to do. The counter was easy: you just attack them quickly. Like how defenders would tackle CR out of annoyance and get booked by the referee, in Warband you can similarly just attack them (rather than treating it like it's a turn-based game, which is fundamental to learning the game, regardless of feinting) and you won't get penalised; you'll win. I know it's something that's physically impossible in real life, but from a "game logic" angle, it works the same. I hand-on-heart believe that lesser-skilled players would have died much more quickly and easily if none of the pro-players ever did over-feinting or even feinting at all. It's just what they see and can point to, and it's like a scapegoat for their more general lack of skill.)

In fact, in terms of feints abusing "physics", of course games and films can develop their own "physics" and logic. I know M&B doesn't have fantasy elements like magical spells, but it still has plenty of exclusive "game logic" stuff. It almost seems absurd to talk about this extent of realism in a game where flags magically move up when you stand near them, you're using a floating camera in third-person, you can be knocked to 5% health by a hammer and still move around normally like you're 100%, and all the other unrealistic stuff that the game is filled with. It would be easier to make a point about feints looking like an eyesore (regardless of realism) or suggesting that it's a higher skill-level many players don't have the enthusiasm to practice and attain.

It's true that feinting has always been present in M&B. No one's saying Warband's combat was realistic (it tried to be a good game, in a "gameplay > realism" type way). The feints and spinning in the BL video are also unrealistic, so it's a moot point either way. If WB looked unsmooth for other reasons, this is something that could've been improved without changing the fundamentals of its design. This might be separate to the point you're making, but it's a strawman argument to point to how Warband is right now and accuse people of merely wanting that, because what those people actually have in mind is an improved version of Warband, not the same thing. It might be harder to conceptualise, and people might have different ideas of what it might be, but it's a point that's nonetheless too relevant to ignore. The same point can be made about item selection. When people said they wanted WB's item selection in M&BII, they didn't mean they wanted to include WB's system exactly as it was (without improvement), they just wanted something better in the same style.

I remember there were some godly players in Warband, you would consider yourself lucky if you could land a single hit on them. Now everyone has a chance to land a hit on each other and I like that. It may not be the best for duels, but it works well with other game modes, where there are multiple targets you need to be aware of.
But that was exactly my experience as a noob playing Warband. I could show you videos if I can get a hold of the HDD they're on. I managed to get kills on practically all of the top players on IG_Battlegrounds when I was a noob (some lucky, some not, and not just as an archer either). In fact, getting a kill on OGL (who's a good-ish player) just to shut him up was one of the reasons I bought Warband in the first place. I killed him on the first day and showed it to everyone on YouTube straight after, which still haunts him to this day. Elsewhere, even in duel, I can't remember the names of the players, so I can't find it, but there was a video of a noob YouTuber getting kills on a top duel player of Warband in a fight-to-seven. OGL got the first round in a ft7 with Arni. Try taking on Arni in BL. He'd wipe the floor with you. New players got destroyed in Skirmish matchmaking during EA (it's a historical fact), and it was a shame it wasn't ranked back then when more people were trying it out, AND that was when block delay was in effect, if that was supposed to help.

Bannerlord used to have a significant block delay. It made transitioning to the block animation smoother. You might think this would make it "cleaner". Yet one problem it accentuated was that cancelled attacks would pass further through your body (without doing any damage), which was not only extremely unrealistic but very hard to read and unintuitive from a "game logic" perspective too. The unreliability of blocks because of the delay also made feint and spam (and any aggressive behaviour) much more frequent and relied upon.

It would be very easy to make Bannerlord's combat far more realistic (or realistic at all), but to do this I reckon (more than just slowing things down) you'd have to start going down the route of the likes of Assassin's Creed and For Honour and make it more automated and less dynamic. Yet this would take out the uniqueness of M&B's combat. I think what makes M&B's combat more advanced than anything else has nothing to do with realism. For Honour has more realistic-looking animations than both Warband and Bannerlord. There are other medieval games that try different things, but I like that M&B has IMO a better combat system than even, say, the Souls games and Zelda, just on account of good game design and not realism. (While I don't think BL's combat is as well done as WB's, it's still very far away from a completely new game, and it retains more than enough from the previous games for me to say it manages to be second best).

One of the main points I'd make is that so long as you have this free-form combat system, then people will inevitably find ways to play it in dodgy-looking ways. The ballerina "beyblade" shock infantry that existed in Bannerlord has fortunately been nerfed, and I think that was achieved in part by making the mechanics work more like they did in Warband. Yet if you try to hamper the combat even more (i.e. to nerf its free-form nature), you might as well make it a turn-based game, which would just make it a clone of other games that already exist.

The first time I looked at Warband wasn't that long ago, so I distinctly remember my first thoughts about it. I probably have my thoughts about it (and first gameplay videos) recorded somewhere on another computer. Literally the first thing I saw (before buying it) was this exact moment of a regular 8v8 tournament:

... which was pretty cool, especially with the commentary.

Then I saw a video that wasn't this but something similar:

... which did have me say "ain't nobody got time for that" (somewhat tongue-in-cheek), but above all I still had the impression (at least) of amazing skill from the player, and I wasn't vain enough not to respect it. I remember it reminded me of a guy speedrunning Tetris at AGDQ and showing ridiculous skills that had the crowd going crazy.

"Gameplay vs realism" is a debate that's been repeated constantly on these forums since the game was called Warrider in 2005. Considering that's mostly what we're debating here, we might as well agree to disagree. Yet Armagan himself said they don't care about realism "that much". Maybe he still cares about it to some extent. He considered Warband's option to exit the SP without saving to be a "realistic!" feature (yet I don't think it's in Bannerlord).

More than either realism or functional, balanced gameplay, I think TW has shown they care more about: 1) doing "complex" things (i.e. usually in ways that sound nifty on paper but IMO terrible in practice), and 2) making naive attempts at hampering the game to supposedly help new players. Here's an example of them referring to complexity. I like complexity, and I think Warband was a complex game overall, but I believe it achieved this in a more sensible way, by combining a variety of elements that in themselves were simple and more functional. Simply adding detail where it doesn't need any (especially in game design) might seem impressive conceptually but can potentially result in a stupid mess.

That "unpredictable nature" of combat you describe simply goes right against the notion of a skill-based combat system. They have advertised the combat system in this way, so I'd regard that as a failure. I also can't shake the feeling that the desire for randomness (that goes towards taking away the competitive element) seems a bit wimpish. I think the promising nature of M&B's combat deserves better.

Bumping this to let people know that the next few days are peoples last chance for awhile to participate in the discussions on the discord regarding different combat mechanics and how the mod should address them.

Over the last couple months while weve been working on some other things we have left the discord as essentially an open forum, and we are super happy with the discussions that have taken place. With that said, as we ease into the next part of development Ill be archiving most of those old threads so that we can transition into some more focused testing and discussion. Obviously everyone will still be free to let us know what they think about some of Bannerlords jank, but there does come a time when we need to be able to digest everything thats been said and formulate the way we want this thing to feel based on what the players think, and that time is fast approaching.

Essentially, yell into the void about how much you hate shield bash so we can read your angry opinion and confirm that were going to rework it as part of the mod. You get the idea.

More than either realism or functional, balanced gameplay, I think TW has shown they care more about: 1) doing "complex" things (i.e. usually in ways that sound nifty on paper but IMO terrible in practice), and 2) making naive attempts at hampering the game to supposedly help new players. Here's an example of them referring to complexity. I like complexity, and I think Warband was a complex game overall, but I believe it achieved this in a more sensible way, by combining a variety of elements that in themselves were simple and more functional. Simply adding detail where it doesn't need any (especially in game design) might seem impressive conceptually but can potentially result in a stupid mess.
Exactly that is the issue. It is a conflict between finding a common ground with old players vs new players. But lets be honest, warband skill ceiling was much higher because specifically the glancing effect on warband was not as pronounced as in BL now. So those high skilled feints can still be punished. In warband, you could directly aim your stab up in the sky and stab the person without glancing.

Back
Top Bottom