Better Faction Troops 2 (for Diplomacy mod)

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks for the fast response =)

Also of possible interest to you, I believe Rubik came up with a script that makes horse archers not close for melee until they expend all their ammo.

Thanks Jarric, I'll look into that script maybe.

Also, who rated this 0 on the repository? Seriously, 0 of 5?? If people who enjoy this could perhaps vote over there I'd appreciate it.

marked your topic with a 'Lamp' icon so it's easier for me to find the topics which contain Diplomacy modifications. I hope you don't mind :wink:

Figured I'd hop in here since I saw P&B mentioned (haters! kidding!).  Good call on pulling horses from no-horse faction lords (and on not just adding cav, what a cop-out). I've done the same with good results. Silly buggers just get clobbered running off from their troops, even with everything else going for them.

As a curiosity thing, how do Rhodoks perform with awlpikes? They're such an underused weapon that I'd love to showcase them, but I've only ever messed about with them in MP, and that was several patches ago.

In terms of mercenaries, I've had poor results trying to design trees with unique functionality post-implementation of new faction lines. If you poke through the Diplo P&B thread you'll find the tree graphic I've planned that includes upcoming merc changes. With previous versions, I had poor results -- mostly due to a dearth of unique roles for mercenaries -- but including them from day one helped on that front.

All in all, I think you've got some fun stuff here. Good luck, and keep going at it!

Well, regarding Rhodoks with awlpikes, I gave all shorter spears an overhand attack with a shield in addition to the normal thrusting attack. Still, it suffers from the same polearm problem (i.e. being too close nulls attacks) and the damage is rather minimal. So, they aren't too great but they can still do what pikemen in the middle ages were meant to do, and that's hold off horses. Although that requires a human player commanding them mostly. For AI they are only really a threat with their throwing spears, which is why I gave them such so they weren't stuck with pikes only.

As for mercs performing a unique role, mine are basically for taking captives as they all have blunt weapons. For instance, the merc crossbowmen have, instead of sword and shield backup like other xbowmen, a sledgehammer, the merc infantry carries a mace, the light lancers also carry a mace for backup, etc. Mercs rounding up captives to ransom or sell into slavery made more sense to me I guess and if you're playing a merc/brigand/freelance/etc. and want to use merc armies you probably need the money from selling/ransoming prisoners more.

I re-installed Warband today and am installing a large number of mods, and I am having a really hard time choosing between this mod and Pike & Blade. This mod is the first that makes the Vaegir appealing to me (The archers with longbows look awesome!), but on the other hand I am worried about the Rhodoks. Seems to me they lost their superior crossbowmen and use poleaxes instead of spears/pikes (I love pikes), and why does the guy in the screenshot wear a red Swadian Surcoat over mail!  :shock: What's wrong with their awesome green surcoat?

At first I wasn't impressed because of the clone stats. Kinda made it seem that you were destroying faction uniqueness. But after reading more, you actually did quite a job of preserving the 'flavor' of each faction. To be quite frank, initially I thought this was mearly a leveling of the troop trees to the same level with just factional equipment as a veneer of uniqueness. The design philosophy seems almost too simple, but there really aren't any 'fluff' units. And I am glad the Nords and Rhodoks don't have cavalry.... I'll reserve my final call until I get a chance to properly test it out, but so far looks good.

Captain_Octavius said:
I re-installed Warband today and am installing a large number of mods, and I am having a really hard time choosing between this mod and Pike & Blade. This mod is the first that makes the Vaegir appealing to me (The archers with longbows look awesome!), but on the other hand I am worried about the Rhodoks. Seems to me they lost their superior crossbowmen and use poleaxes instead of spears/pikes (I love pikes),

Bots kind of suck with pikes because bots simply attack by spamming. Hence, they don't really time things right to take advantage of reach. Giving them halberds keeps the feel in my opinion (many soldiers in medieval german statelets, like Switzerland, used halberds and other polearms alongside pikes) and makes them more effective. There are still mercenary pikemen in my mod though if you really want dedicated pikemen.

and why does the guy in the screenshot wear a red Swadian Surcoat over mail!  :shock: What's wrong with their awesome green surcoat?

Their wasn't enough high-quality armor of a green color to use green. It was either switch over to the color I'm using now, have them all wearing different colors, or have them use much weaker armor then everyone else. Shouldn't be hard to rexture the armor they have to green though for someone who knows how and wants to do that.

Yes, slightly. Mostly just to allow spears and overhand attack with a shield. Perhaps a few minor things I can't recall at the moment.

the men-of-arms have Light Mail and Plate. This is modded armor is it not?
Can I buy it at the merchants?

Yeah, I don't remember if I made it available to merchants or not. It's very easy to do though, just grab an item editor (Morgh's M&B Warband Mod Tools for instance) and tick the merchandise box in the column for properties under the light mail and plate entry.

I don't know if you can help with this but I've moved the parties and troops .txt files into my diplomacy folder and started a new game. All fine apart from the merchant showing up as a Khergit (?) but I've established an enterprise in Tihr manufacturing tools from iron. The weekly budget came in but the money does not show up in my character's inventory. It shows the correct amount on the budget screen but not on the inventory.
I'm using the Combat Enhancement Mechanism mod on diplomacy, so I didn't want to replace the actions.txt file.

Would you have any idea, why the budget's gone strange?

Thanks.

Found the problem - the terrain advantage mod is interfering. I turned it off following other problems people (and myself) have suffered. Apparently Zpars has a fix in the works.

Another problem's emerged... I've just started the merchant quest. Found the four bandits who've kidnapped his brother, killed all four and no "successful quest" moment and the merchant still thinks I'm looking for the party. Very frustrating.

Putting together various ideas, I think the troop changes have messed up the quests list. I'm doing some poking about at the moment...

Ok. I'm certain that whatever caused the merchant to be replaced with Aethrod (multiplayer/custom battle character) has messed up the tutorial quest... Damn since this is a great sub-mod and it's had an impressive effect on the strategic level since even the Nords are more capable now...
Might have to recreate the troops in the standard troops.txt...  :grin:

Sorry I took so long to answer this but I've been working on another mod.

If you're still here, or anyone else, the first quest is busted yes. I thought I stated this but perhaps I forgot to mention it. As of the last time I played it though all the other quests I tried worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom