Beta Patch Notes v1.1.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Some issues I've found in my latest sandbox run:

1) Attacking caravans as an independent clan does not give any relation penalties, nor does attacking villager parties (only if you get into the actual combat screen. If they surrender, then you'll still get a criminal rating and lose relations)

2) Making peace with an enemy faction as an independent clan while having their lords as prisoners in your party will sometimes cause the game to crash. Upon reloading the game, you'll be at peace with your former enemies, but their lords will still be prisoners in your party. You can put them in settlement dungeons but interacting with these prisoner lords only gives the default peace-time dialogue without the option for them to go free (they also won't escape and will happily sit in captivity until you find another lord of their faction and release them in a bargain offer).

3) Lords are still being listed as taken captive by their faction whenever they're captured in a settlement after a siege, but iirc this is an old bug from 1.03.

4) No relations increase after freeing a lord from captivity but no sudden drop to -100 relations either.

5) Forcing a village to give you recruits doesn't remove the available recruits from village notables and will never yield noble recruits, even in castle-bound villages. This makes the action worthless (unlike in the past when it was a viable tactic to prevent the enemy from quickly replenishing their forces).

6) Local notables seem to be dying off at the same rate as companions.

3) Lords are still being listed as taken captive by their faction whenever they're captured in a settlement after a siege, but iirc this is an old bug from 1.03.
If I can add, it happens even in the middle of a siege. In my game Lucon was listed as captured by the Northern Empire while under siege by khuzaits, they took the castle a few days later

Good bugfinds btw

I have another suggestion for you TW developers, also based on commentary on the Steam discussion. This pertains to the new "Full NPC Fog of War" mechanics in the 1.1 experimental release.

Me personally, I love it. It doesn't make sense that a character in a medieval setting would have SO MUCH information about every character in the land as was the case in previous versions. There is perhaps a need to tweak what information is and is not available (famous people arguably should have a bit more outlines of their identity available right from the beginning), but to me: the new "Full NPC Fog of War" settings as you have them in the 1.1 experimental release are more appropriate than the previous settings.

However, there are many who will disagree vehemently with me (and with your change), and I've already heard from them extensively in the Steam Discussion (just have a look for yourselves). There are two main gists of their grievances: (a) I played the game hundreds or thousands of hours with the previous settings and I prefer it that way (and I would point out to you that, this is an INHERENTLY VALID PERSPECTIVE: you provided the game to them with the previous settings so it is completely natural that they would get accustomed to it that way and come to PREFER IT that way, no matter what you or I might think about what are "better" settings, this perspective simply cannot be refuted and it deserves to be taken seriously); (b) the old system "makes more sense" from a realism/balance/immersion perspective (I won't attempt to debate this point, and don't regard it as inviolable as point (a) but suffice to say, I disagree).

Now this would seem to be a irreconcilable situation, but it most certainly is not. You have an EXTRAORDINARILY easy solution to this problem readily available, and based on my limited experience working in game development, I'd guess it would cost you less than 50 person hours of development work (esp. given that some of the functionality you'd use in the solution already exists in other features in the game already):

Create an option toggle in the game settings that allows a user to choose the level of "NPC Fog of War:" Total | Partial | None (where Total represents roughly the current settings in 1.1, None represented the settings previously and Partial some intermediate degree).

How you would tie each of these settings to difficulty I would not presume to advise you about, though I would point out that if you assign "Bannerlord" difficulty as REQUIRING "TOTAL" NPC Fog of War else it switches the difficulty to "Custom," you may well meet opposition to that as well. I suspect the opposition would be much weaker and more muted, but it would undoubtedly occur.

Beta updates are always on Steam.

Full/main releases are at the same time for Consoles, Steam and other pc game stores. Updates usually take 1-6 weeks to go from beta to main branch, and this patch is on the bigger side so it won't go too quickly, how much exactly we don't know.
Ok thanks

I have another suggestion for you TW developers, also based on commentary on the Steam discussion. This pertains to the new "Full NPC Fog of War" mechanics in the 1.1 experimental release.

Me personally, I love it. It doesn't make sense that a character in a medieval setting would have SO MUCH information about every character in the land as was the case in previous versions. There is perhaps a need to tweak what information is and is not available (famous people arguably should have a bit more outlines of their identity available right from the beginning), but to me: the new "Full NPC Fog of War" settings as you have them in the 1.1 experimental release are more appropriate than the previous settings.

However, there are many who will disagree vehemently with me (and with your change), and I've already heard from them extensively in the Steam Discussion (just have a look for yourselves). There are two main gists of their grievances: (a) I played the game hundreds or thousands of hours with the previous settings and I prefer it that way (and I would point out to you that, this is an INHERENTLY VALID PERSPECTIVE: you provided the game to them with the previous settings so it is completely natural that they would get accustomed to it that way and come to PREFER IT that way, no matter what you or I might think about what are "better" settings, this perspective simply cannot be refuted and it deserves to be taken seriously); (b) the old system "makes more sense" from a realism/balance/immersion perspective (I won't attempt to debate this point, and don't regard it as inviolable as point (a) but suffice to say, I disagree).

Now this would seem to be a irreconcilable situation, but it most certainly is not. You have an EXTRAORDINARILY easy solution to this problem readily available, and based on my limited experience working in game development, I'd guess it would cost you less than 50 person hours of development work (esp. given that some of the functionality you'd use in the solution already exists in other features in the game already):

Create an option toggle in the game settings that allows a user to choose the level of "NPC Fog of War:" Total | Partial | None (where Total represents roughly the current settings in 1.1, None represented the settings previously and Partial some intermediate degree).

How you would tie each of these settings to difficulty I would not presume to advise you about, though I would point out that if you assign "Bannerlord" difficulty as REQUIRING "TOTAL" NPC Fog of War else it switches the difficulty to "Custom," you may well meet opposition to that as well. I suspect the opposition would be much weaker and more muted, but it would undoubtedly occur.
I have mentioned to the devs about more options so we can customize our games since everyone has a different skill level and play style and was told that they think it is NOT a good idea. For the life of me I have no idea how anyone can think this is not good. I'd love to hear why allowing people to customize a game to make it fun for them is a bad idea

I have mentioned to the devs about more options so we can customize our games since everyone has a different skill level and play style and was told that they think it is NOT a good idea. For the life of me I have no idea how anyone can think this is not good. I'd love to hear why allowing people to customize a game to make it fun for them is a bad idea
Not quite the same question, but I do believe the answer's similar:

Basically, the YouTuber Ratotoskr explains why not all games should have an easy mode (or options, etc.) and the reason is essentially because it might go against the intended experience (and thus diminish a player's overall enjoyment from what it could have been) and/or because they don't know what they really want until they've had it.

Personally, I think it ought to be a toggle-able option but I'm comfortable accepting the change and look forward to playing it for myself.

I think that too many sliders results in more bugs and more difficulty balancing the game. Bannerlord already has many options on starting a game for the first time, which can be bewildering for newbies.

My preference would be to keep fog of war, but add game mechanics that make it more tolerable to work around, e.g. travelling bards in taverns who tell you about the eligible bachelors/bachelorettes in the kingdom, and fill in your encyclopaedia about them. (Note that travelling bards was a feature in Warband).

Not quite the same question, but I do believe the answer's similar:

Basically, the YouTuber Ratotoskr explains why not all games should have an easy mode (or options, etc.) and the reason is essentially because it might go against the intended experience (and thus diminish a player's overall enjoyment from what it could have been) and/or because they don't know what they really want until they've had it.

Personally, I think it ought to be a toggle-able option but I'm comfortable accepting the change and look forward to playing it for myself.

But they already have difficulty options 🙃 Things like +map speed and + recruits can already distort the intended (?) game flow. I think options are good, but I could understand if the game were more fine tuned and defined around level of challenge, but that's not how Bannerlord is. For instance in Das3 you are limited in upgrade levels (and thus damage output) until you progress further, meaning each area and boss has a general difficulty level expected, if you could turn down your damage taken it would ruin what they've intended. But in bannerlord you can get the bets weapons quickly and the best troops too, so there's no ruining anything, there is no defined level of challenge for anything. I would guess maybe it more they don't want more things to have to tinker with every update.

If nothing else I wish we could have more background, family and starting set ups for sandbox.

But they already have difficulty options 🙃 Things like +map speed and + recruits can already distort the intended (?) game flow. I think options are good, but I could understand if the game were more fine tuned and defined around level of challenge, but that's not how Bannerlord is. For instance in Das3 you are limited in upgrade levels (and thus damage output) until you progress further, meaning each area and boss has a general difficulty level expected, if you could turn down your damage taken it would ruin what they've intended. But in bannerlord you can get the bets weapons quickly and the best troops too, so there's no ruining anything, there is no defined level of challenge for anything. I would guess maybe it more they don't want more things to have to tinker with every update.

If nothing else I wish we could have more background, family and starting set ups for sandbox.
That's true lol, but I'm sure they have a general "intended window frame" at least! :razz: It's tough to be sure whether the lack of options here or there is because they don't want to have too many stuff to clean up on with every patch or if it's because it'd (for lack of a better phrase) "be outside the window of intended experience." I haven't followed Bannerlord in the time between reading early dev vlogs and a few months ago, so I have no idea if limited information was always intended but not implemented due to preferring transparency so beta players can more readily identify stuff working as intended (or not), or if it's an idea that's come up recently and thus a significant change away from what was previously expected. Overall, I'm interested in seeing how it'll work out for myself before I make any judgements, because it could be fun as a way of navigating the world or annoying because I'd like to know who the new king of a country is at least. At the very least, I can understand why somebody would prefer a lack of options as a way of "tightening" difficulty.

More options to customize set ups, especially in Sandbox (which is the mode I've been playing in, both my first/completed playthrough and current/paused one), would be nice since I wouldn't always mind the "handicap" of starting off with a couple siblings or some other relatives as well as the option to be "hardcore" as a single child lol.

Also I don’t like steam fourms they don’t let me chat bc I haven’t bought something which is basically against my freedom of speech

Also I don’t like steam fourms they don’t let me chat bc I haven’t bought something which is basically against my freedom of speech

Ya how dare they set their rules and limit your freedom on their privately owned forums..

Implemented a Fog of War feature for heroes:
  • Players now need to meet heroes to unlock some of their critical information.
  • Skills, traits, family, and owned settlements information are hidden until you meet that hero.
  • This change affects tooltips, portraits and information shown in the encyclopaedia.

the inn keeper sometimes has information about wonderers.

if he shares this information will it unlock some or all of the skills and traits of wonderes?

Some battle situations such as "caravan ambush"or help a random caravan, or another lords party in a fight will start the battle without a pre-battle setup.

the inn keeper sometimes has information about wonderers.

if he shares this information will it unlock some or all of the skills and traits of wonderes?
Unfortunately, I can say that the tavern keeper does not grant you the information on wanderers' skills and traits.

Back
Top Bottom