Beta Patch Notes v1.0.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Doesn´t really matter, the game sold good and has very good reviews.
It's mostly people who played during the EA that are mad. There's also the fact that you only notice the biggest issues after having invested at least 10 hours in it.

what? savegames have ALWAYS (with exception of 1 update, discounting the need to go through 1.7 in EA to load in newer) been compatable between game versions as well as beta/main.
...When a patch was released during Alpha, Beta and EA I was NEVER able to use an old save game...
...if I tried that, a window would pop up to tell me that the game version and game save can't match due to different versions...

I'm already puzzled to have "betas" after crossing the EA finish line, but I'm even more surprised by this kind of rachitic updates.

giphy.gif

It's sad then things gets passed QA, but it happens, it's really bad when it goes months without being fixed, and worse the a dev wont even acknowledge you're telling them there is an issue since the tech forums are a joke, fill in this, send a file, write out a ticket just for something that's been reported a dozen times. TW Lords aren't dropping off AI lord prisoners 4 months late, you've failed 3 times to fix it, need some help? Im sure a modder could

what? savegames have ALWAYS (with exception of 1 update, discounting the need to go through 1.7 in EA to load in newer) been compatable between game versions as well as beta/main.
Yeah, I can still ratchet a save game from Day 1 to 1.7 and then into the present version. The only corrupted save I've had has been because of a supposedly save-compatible mod messing with savefiles.

I would boil it down to some group in the company is clearly incompetent. I don't know if it's unskilled QA, out of their depth Developers, incompetent Middle Management, or a crisis of leadership from the very top C level down, handcuffing those at lower levels. Whatever it is, I'd argue the only real "fix" is a complete tear down, new talent search, and rethink of how projects are handled. I say this not out of vitriol or malice, but with an eye to improvement as a former enthusiast. I know it certainly doesn't sound pleasant, but: "The truth is a bitter pill, that few men dare to swallow." as one of my mentors used to say.
You know Armagan still runs the company, right?

Dunno why people keep blaming out of touch executives or other corporate types when the guy who made the original runs the company and still apparently codes a bunch of ****.

...When a patch was released during Alpha, Beta and EA I was NEVER able to use an old save game...
...if I tried that, a window would pop up to tell me that the game version and game save can't match due to different versions...
There is always the version mismatch popup message but it doesn't mean you can't use that save with a new game version.
I still have one campaign from 1.7.2, running fine.
Actually that's something I'm really surprised about.
How did they manage to allow using the same save game despite all the refactor done during EA etc...

Dunno why people keep blaming out of touch executives or other corporate types when the guy who made the original runs the company and still apparently codes a bunch of ****.
I do know who he is, and that he is still purportedly involved. As to what level of hands on I couldn't speculate, but I'd still call it a crisis of leadership.

I suppose I could / should have said from the "Ownership level" or "Very highest level" or some such.

It seems it really is true you can't catch lightning in a bottle, or go home again. So much for the sophomore effort.

I stand corrected.

I'm already puzzled to have "betas" after crossing the EA finish line, but I'm even more surprised by this kind of rachitic updates.

giphy.gif
Taleworlds still refuses to hire beta testers and will use every inch of their playerbase's blood to test their game for free (we actually paid them). At least they fixed the bug that happens when you leftclick in a corner room of a tavern while jumping from the couch to the floor, impressive and steady progress fellows

There's no evidence at all that Armagan still codes and **** - that's probably based on Duh's general and predictably loyal statement that the development is in the hands of devs and not suits? Which is still far removed from Armagan's ongoing active involvement in Bannerlord.

What we do know is that their new unannounced game development started in 2020 and it can be reasonably assumed that it's Armagan's new baby, and that he is working on it (including coding) full time since then, while occasionally coming to Bannerlord design committee meetings to cancel features proposed by the remaining devs.
Even if we didn't know anything about the internal goings on, the manager has the objective responsibility, both in dev direction and priorities, and staffing.

I do know who he is, and that he is still purportedly involved. As to what level of hands on I couldn't speculate, but I'd still call it a crisis of leadership.

I suppose I could / should have said from the "Ownership level" or "Very highest level" or some such.

It seems it really is true you can't catch lightning in a bottle, or go home again. So much for the sophomore effort.

I stand corrected.

Oh, there's definitely some sort or crisis going on with leadership for Bannerlord. The amount of missteps and problems plaguing the game cannot be reasonably explained any other way.

There's no evidence at all that Armagan still codes and **** - that's probably based on Duh's general and predictably loyal statement that the development is in the hands of devs and not suits?
Apparently it was him who crunched to get smithing into the game for release.

I do kinda support a patch marked as [BETA] for user acceptance test and such. We are the true final line before content/patches should go LIVE and it seems reasonable to do so.

How did they manage to allow using the same save game despite all the refactor done during EA etc...
They didn't really. When the game structure changes, save file structure often changes too and have to be patched. In fact if you use a very old save file, the game tells you it can't load it and to downgrade the game first, then the appropriate patching happens and you can upgrade your game again. This is because patches are incremental and a single version doesn't contain all of them. Speaking from experience, writing those patches are kinda tedious though, and quite a bit of dev time can be saved by simply not patching them and asking the users to stay on the current version or start a new game (which would have been a perfectly fine thing to do during the EA imo).

They didn't really. When the game structure changes, save file structure often changes too and have to be patched. In fact if you use a very old save file, the game tells you it can't load it and to downgrade the game first, then the appropriate patching happens and you can upgrade your game again. This is because patches are incremental and a single version doesn't contain all of them. Speaking from experience, writing those patches are kinda tedious though, and quite a bit of dev time can be saved by simply not patching them and asking the users to stay on the current version or start a new game (which would have been a perfectly fine thing to do during the EA imo).
Thx, that makes sense.
They could have used that time for other things for sure...

Back
Top Bottom