Beta Patch Notes e1.8.0

Users who are viewing this thread

TL;DR : Smithing in 1.8 is still broken and is now painfully unfun, plus my Enter key has taken some real punishment since its release.

Brace yourselves, Smithing rant incoming.

I would like to start by remembering a classic opening scene in one of my favourite movies that launched the career of a previously unknown Austrian. It begins with a rumbling battle hymn, heavy drums, and portrays a darkened medieval room where the only light is provided by red hot molten steel being poured into moulds and then labouriously hammered into shape by a strong man (supported by an equally strong woman btw.) with long hair and an unkempt beard.
(Can you guess the film?)

My point here is that smithing is cool, making weapons with fire and sweat and hammering steel, very cool right. Many Youtube channels displaying such endeavours have literally millions of views. So it's fair to say there is a general interest in this area.
It is for this reason that it is important to get this ingame system right.

In previous versions of this game, provided you had the materials available, and were fortunate with the unlocks, craft an absolute Kromm-level sword/axe/polearm in a reasonably rapid timeframe. After which, you could merrily enjoy using/swinging said weapon at whoever took your fancy over the course of your playthrough whilst levelling your character to demi-god levels of martial skill (which does take some time, especially 250+). Funtimes, i know.

Now the current problem emerges.

In the current version, 1.8, progression is limited by tier unlocks i.e. to unlock idk, say t4 pommels, you need to unlock every single t3 beforehand with idk say Two-handed Swords having hundreds of components each requiring 20-ish crafts to unlock 1 new component.

I get it, "you need to invest time and effort into it to eventually make great weapons", it's a reasonable position to have for real life....
This is not real life though, and making crap-tier trash that will only end up being melted back for materials or sold is just not satisfying, or more importantly, fun.

And having to repeat this process literally thousands of times to unlock all components.....well, i hope my problem with the current system has been made clear.

Thank you for reading.
I'd like to see something like unlock trees for similar components within the weapon classes. So like each T1 component would feed "unlock XP" towards one or more T2 components, and each T2 component would feed "unlock XP" towards one or more T3 components and so on. That way you could specialize in certain weapon classes and component types, and maybe the component types could be categorized by culture or style or something. So if you're only making like two-handed swords with Battanian blades and Aserai pommels, you'd make progress towards other Battanian 2H blades and Aserai 2H pommels
It would also be really cool if you could buy or learn component recipes from blackmiths, quests, or tournaments across Calradia, with some components being locked behind special quests or events
Also it'd be sweet if the weapons you craft could be given to soldiers in your army, that way you could almost specialize your troops beyond their specific archetypes

I like the new system as far as each type only for type is unlocked for parts. But to make it go a bit faster I do agree for a small change, like if your smelting, smithing then any tier should be able to unlock a part for that tier but also one tier higher to speed it up a bit, so a tier 3 weapon can unlock any part from tier 1-4. Smithing is just too slow now, gives terrible character exp to make investing in the time to do it not worth it for most of my games. If it's not broke, don't fix it, still wondering what was broken about the old system.

the bug where clans are frequently leaving your faction makes 1.8.0 beta very unplayable and not fun. not only have some of the core families left and taken some towns with them but then also new clans join, they get immediately awarded a town that they can't pay the garrison upkeep for, and then they join the enemy shortly after and take the town with them. its gotten so bad i'm considering putting the game down for a while or going back a version

the bug where clans are frequently leaving your faction makes 1.8.0 beta very unplayable and not fun. not only have some of the core families left and taken some towns with them but then also new clans join, they get immediately awarded a town that they can't pay the garrison upkeep for, and then they join the enemy shortly after and take the town with them. its gotten so bad i'm considering putting the game down for a while or going back a version
Yeah it's a very disheartening bug.

It would be nice to at least know if Taleworlds is doing 1.8.X as a "release what's ready in a month" patch, or as a bigger "multi-month, feature-focused" patch. Then we would know whether to expect it this week-ish or in months' time.

If a patch isn't forthcoming, then we do need a hotfix to the noble defection bug ASAP as it makes the late game kingdom phase literally unplayable.

Last edited:
Got covid fam. It's hit me pretty gut. Probably gonna return to office this week though.

In any case, afaik this is still being worked on. It is a high priority for us, but simulation balance is finnicky and can take time.

Ah I'm sorry to hear that .... no worries !

It's notable how you (and to a lesser extent Dejan) have become a kind of replacement for Mexxico as the major link between dev team and the forum community.

I guess what I'm saying is we are (perhaps) too dependant on you personally. :xf-smile:

Anyway, rest yourself well. I hope your symptoms are easing off. 🤜 🤛

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom