Beta Patch Notes e1.8.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Absolutely love 1.8.0!

The respect option is great especially to correct the Ai picks which usually are not the ones you need most of the time.

Companion bug:

Getting too many clone companions, for example I had 3 Deadeye Vlandian companions out of 7 total Vlandian culture options. Maybe it should run through the list of companions that are not used before spamming clones.

Skill Training - Is there any way we can add a train skill option through the trainer? For example you pay the trainer gold to boost a skill, this was something I really enjoyed in Skyrim and would make a great addition to Bannerlord.

Companion Barber Option - Why can't the barber option be extended to companions? They are really the only ones that need this option as the auto gen look can be really bad.

Character Creation Options expanded:

• Add an auto generate/re-roll option for clan name, the only way to get the one you want is exit out to the culture menu and start over the character creation.
  • Add and option to change/re-roll your horse color as this stays with the character the entire game, the only way to change this is exit out to the main menu and start over.
  • Add and option to re-roll parents and brother's appearance as it is really bad somethings
  • Please allow us to pick the starting home town for the culture you pick, this is big for immersion and character creation. For example if you name your character clan name dey Pravend by the default home town is Sargot. It would be nice to be able to pick Pravend as your home town and start near it as Sargot starting location EVERY time is getting pretty stale.
XP boosting options:

If you spend the night in a town or village you should get a small xp boost for being well rested. This give you more of a reason to stay the night in a town and some immersion. The bonus could be a simple 10% boost for the day, these are the type of options that make the grind fun and if managed correctly a little less painful.

Balance:

Really like the armor tweaks, if you could slow down elites it will be pretty solid. Make just make it take longer to level up troops would be a good start.

Garrisons size might need buffed as too many settlements are changing hands, it was pretty bad in my campaign.

Thanks for the hard work as the game is really shaping up!

Absolutely love 1.8.0!

The respect option is great especially to correct the Ai picks which usually are not the ones you need most of the time.

Companion bug:

Getting too many clone companions, for example I had 3 Deadeye Vlandian companions out of 7 total Vlandian culture options. Maybe it should run through the list of companions that are not used before spamming clones.

Skill Training - Is there any way we can add a train skill option through the trainer? For example you pay the trainer gold to boost a skill, this was something I really enjoyed in Skyrim and would make a great addition to Bannerlord.

Companion Barber Option - Why can't the barber option be extended to companions? They are really the only ones that need this option as the auto gen look can be really bad.

Character Creation Options expanded:

• Add an auto generate/re-roll option for clan name, the only way to get the one you want is exit out to the culture menu and start over the character creation.
  • Add and option to change/re-roll your horse color as this stays with the character the entire game, the only way to change this is exit out to the main menu and start over.
  • Add and option to re-roll parents and brother's appearance as it is really bad somethings
  • Please allow us to pick the starting home town for the culture you pick, this is big for immersion and character creation. For example if you name your character clan name dey Pravend by the default home town is Sargot. It would be nice to be able to pick Pravend as your home town and start near it as Sargot starting location EVERY time is getting pretty stale.
XP boosting options:

If you spend the night in a town or village you should get a small xp boost for being well rested. This give you more of a reason to stay the night in a town and some immersion. The bonus could be a simple 10% boost for the day, these are the type of options that make the grind fun and if managed correctly a little less painful.

Balance:

Really like the armor tweaks, if you could slow down elites it will be pretty solid. Make just make it take longer to level up troops would be a good start.

Garrisons size might need buffed as too many settlements are changing hands, it was pretty bad in my campaign.

Thanks for the hard work as the game is really shaping up!

what about crafting? what is your opinion on the changes?

what about crafting? what is your opinion on the changes?
I'm still working on crafting, it is a grind and the methods I used in past builds are not as viable. I just recruited the Vlandian smith companion and going to thoroughly test this feature. I like the concept of the changes I just wish that if you destroy an item you get a chance to get some of those parts unlocked. I'll update once I get deeper in the crafting system.

What I'm loving about 1.8 is the armour and knockdown changes. Charging into enemies and actually knocking them over, wading into a group of militia fighters during a siege wearing my armour in melee and actually being able to survive, whacking people off horses with a two-handed mace. It's great!

Now we need armour to work properly against arrows, as it did in Warband.

Last edited:
Been a long while since I've played or been on these forums, but I saw 1.8.0 just now. Very nice, especially the armor stuff.

It's just.. the points that @five bucks brought up (ty btw), they are legit and I definitely look forward to.. hopefully seeing something that attempts to address them in a future patch. I yearn for the day I don't have to use RBM.

1.8.0 looks really great on paper, but sadly i experienced that nothing but the cutscences and improved campaign behaviour is actually working. the change of damage values works aswell, but comes along with an issue:

the vlandians are suffering big time from that.

crossbowmen are basically useless. fighting vlandians felt like fighting looters. using crossbowmen felt like using rock throwing looters. more balancing needs to be done. all things concidered i like that change a lot and is definetly going into the right direction. leaving out the crossbowmen, the damage values feel good.

i dont feel any changes on the economy, just that i go for silversmiths only and pay more for the workshops. no other workshop was really viable so far, especially concidering the price of 30k and above. wars are happening more often, caravans make more, but get smacked fast. you still have to pay for 30 troops, while ai caravans have 50, why?

the sieges are favouring the attacker big time, with defenders not being in position at the beginning. i had sieges where my archers where waiting for the enemy to finally show up on the walls. once someone finally appeared, they got shot down before being in position. the other way round i had siege defences where my archers are getting stuck behind of the walls because infantry units where blocking the way.

the changes on the respawn system result into your troops spawning in front of your frontline frequently, totally exposed to the enemy, not being able to see where the reinforcements are coming from make battles with reinforcements a gamble and not a reliability. successful warlords have to rely on their reinforcements.

even tho that every faction is using around 5 billion cav units nowadays, i wasnt seeing any big impact on the knockdown effect. it looks minor to me. the change doesnt hurt.

i notice how the ai behaves on the campaignmap: more straight forward and getting sieges done. i like that a lot. i also like the chance to die on the battlefield.

overall, the beta experience of the second content update this year makes me very sad that i will use a crying cat as conclusion: ?

I do agree, the Ai is using too much cavalry. That number needs to be reduce by at least half the current value, but probably should be different from culture to culture.

I do agree, the Ai is using too much cavalry. That number needs to be reduce by at least half the current value, but probably should be different from culture to culture.
Yes, let’s make cultures different again?
As far as I could see a lot of Imperial lords will use an archer heavy party. On the other hand Sturgians really like those Druzhinnik and abhor archers, e.g. a party of 100 men had almost half cavalry units and about 5 archers.

@MArdA TaleWorlds one more video of cavalry failing to attack/hit target:

It seems that some cavalry AI have great difficulty hitting enemies who are moving forwards; they either whiff their attack or don't try and attack at all.

I think cav with polearms can't hit you because 1.8.0 AI ignores weapon range in calculation. Looks like they perform attack release at point blank so it's very hard to hit with longer weapons.
I reported this issue to @Philozoraptor HERE with comparison 1.7.2 vs 1.8.0 because I used RBM AI. Now I see it's not problem with RBM AI module, it's problem with 1.8.0.

Sandbox mode - Is this a bug or working as intended?

A few years in my character "catches a disease" or something, then dies a few months later , ending the game with no choice to continue. Is that intended? I have character death turned OFF in the configuration.

A few years in my character "catches a disease" or something, then dies a few months later , ending the game with no choice to continue. Is that intended? I have character death turned OFF in the configuration.
I think that option is for death in battle. What you describe is death by old age, which can happen right away if you choose the oldest option in sandbox.
I think you need to unclick the birth and death module (in mods list before pressing play or continue) to be able to start a new game and disable birth and death completely, not sure tough, haven't tried.

I think that option is for death in battle. What you describe is death by old age, which can happen right away if you choose the oldest option in sandbox.
I think you need to unclick the birth and death module (in mods list before pressing play or continue) to be able to start a new game and disable birth and death completely, not sure tough, haven't tried.
Thanks, I will give that a try. And yes I always pick age 50 in Sandbox mode to reduce some of the grind. I have played a lot of sandbox and this is the first time I have ever seen that. I didn't think birth/death was active but now that you mention it I think it was a game option previously that you could turn off , they must have removed the option. I guess it's mandatory now :sad:

I made the suggestion about cav and the biggest issue is too many noble lines available which that's where the majority come from. I was met with very adamant no on changing the requirements of notables to get t noble line troops. I personally hate how noble lines are like candy but others don't see it my way. kind of strange how I can start a game and have a decent group of fians or khans guard type troops so easy. My advice was change the requited power level they need to have noble lines, not all the way back to what it was before but just go half way....see a balance,not a nerf...small changes. Then we can see how it is and it can be adjusted again. I am not sure why TW made this drastic change as I didn't hear people complaining about not having enough noble line troops maybe a dev can explain the massive change that was made and why is was so desperately needed. (Remember small changes are a balance, that is how you should change the game, not massive ones)

I made the suggestion about cav and the biggest issue is too many noble lines available which that's where the majority come from. I was met with very adamant no on changing the requirements of notables to get t noble line troops.
You can call me out its ok :iamamoron:
I am not sure why TW made this drastic change as I didn't hear people complaining about not having enough noble line troops maybe a dev can explain the massive change that was made and why is was so desperately needed. (Remember small changes are a balance, that is how you should change the game, not massive ones)
It got changed because people wanted castles to have some kind of benefit so they made it so that villages attached to castles get noble troops from landowner notables. In the past they use to only come from powerful(200 power) landowners from any village, which where very rare so noble troops rarely showed up, leaving converting bandits to being the main way people got noble troops and the AI having no noble troops (there use to be battanian armies with no fians and thus no archers :facepalm:) .

Castles being useless and mainly getting nobles from conversions were major complaints from the community that led to that change.

Also I still don't think high Cavalry percentages are a map wide issue. I think what we are seeing is parties start to specialize more which is really cool to see.
Clan and Party
  • Hero party leaders now have preferred troop types when upgrading.
I just took a look around my personal fresh 1.8.0 game which is 5 years in, these are what sturgian and vlandian parties/armies look like.

Vlandia:
kMhmr.jpg
RGams.jpg
7CLRr.jpg

Sturgia

oV5IZ.jpg
Iy7tg.jpg
WwlZx.jpg
oUsbo.jpg
G4RJ_.jpg
j4spm.jpg
5-m0E.jpg

Now it looks like I didnt find a Cavalry main and im sure there is some lord out there that probably has like 70% cav but clearly it is not every single party and it is an intentional action by the AI to recruit and train Cavalry as their main unit. I still see no need to change the availablity of noble troops and definitely do not want to see a lower rate of cavalry as they are currently only 10-30% for the majority of parties and armies.

Last edited:
You can call me out its ok :iamamoron:

It got changed because people wanted castles to have some kind of benefit so they made it so that villages attached to castles get noble troops from landowner notables. In the past they use to only come from powerful(200 power) landowners from any village, which where very rare so noble troops rarely showed up, leaving converting bandits to being the main way people got noble troops and the AI having no noble troops (there use to be battanian armies with no fians and thus no archers :facepalm:) .

Castles being useless and mainly getting nobles from conversions were major complaints from the community that led to that change.
So I have digged a little bit and here are the changes that, I think, have lead to the current situation.
  • 200+ power headman notables provide elite troops.
  • Notables at villages which are bounded by a castle now gain more power each day compared to others.
  • Notables provide elite troops instantly
The combination of the above 3 changes may result in some unexpected high availability of elite troops (depending on how quick headmen get 200+ power).

Patch 1.5.8 : LINK
Settlement Actions (Town, Village, Castle and Hideout)
  • 200+ power headman notables now provide elite troops.
  • Fixed an issue that caused artisans to constantly lose power.
  • Notables at villages which are bounded by a castle now gain more power each day compared to others.
  • Fixed several bugs related to board games.
  • Fixed a bug that showed a recruitment label on lords even if they didn’t recruit at a settlement.
PATCH 1.6.0 : LINK
Changes
  • Notables now provide elite troops instantly instead of first creating a basic troop and then upgrading it to an elite troop.
  • Reworked attribute selection for AI.

Also I still don't think high Cavalry percentages are a map wide issue. I think what we are seeing is parties start to specialize more which is really cool to see.
I'm wondering if the "Party Template" (leading to more specialization/variation per lords) was really implemented with 1.8.0.
There is a "Party Template" xml file but that's still the same than before, really basic one.
On the other side, AI prioritizing cavalry type troops was confirmed a while ago.
Patch 1.5.7 : LINK
Clan and Party
  • The Child Education feature has been implemented.
    • Players can now educate their clan's children through their early life. There are six different education stages. These stages will trigger at the age of 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16. Each stage will present different options that improve the child's skills and attributes. Stages are accessible via the right side circle notifications.
  • NPC parties now don’t upgrade their troops randomly and are more likely to try and reach cavalry troops, especially if they have a lower cavalry to infantry/ranged ratio.
  • XP needed to upgrade higher tier troops was slightly increased.

200+ power headman notables provide elite troops.
I'm wondering if the "Party Template" (leading to more specialization/variation per lords) was really implemented with 1.8.0.
Elites don't depend on notable power anymore- they used to. But in more recent versions it's purely based on being a notable in a village which is attached to a castle. And I don't believe party templates have actually been enabled yet, although the code for it exists in 1.8, as "preferred formations" (eg skirmisher, infantry, horse archers). But it depends on lords having that formation flagged in their XML, which hasn't happened yet.

Back
Top Bottom