Beta Patch Notes e1.7.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Banners?

crying.jpg

Have you considered having siege gear go into reserve by default so the AI can deploy a full array at once (as the player does) to get around the issue of the AI building and loosing it's siege gear and never attacking because of this loop?

Oh now that's juicy.

If the AI abandons a siege the siege gear would still be there but slowly decaying/degrading until it's disappeared. Other armies could swoop in, use the remaining gear and continue the siege.
The seize of the garrison from the sieged target could determine the rate at which the siege gear decays.

If the AI abandons a siege the siege gear would still be there but slowly decaying/degrading until it's disappeared. Other armies could swoop in, use the remaining gear and continue the siege.
The seize of the garrison from the sieged target could determine the rate at which the siege gear decays.
Oh nice suggestions. But not part of TheVision™ , sorry ...

Oh now that's juicy.

The seize of the garrison from the sieged target could determine the rate at which the siege gear decays
no no
the first thing the besieged would do is destroy the engines .. its only wood and hemp so a torch would be enough and super fast

Why would the garrison let the siege gear just sit around in front of their settlement waiting for it to be used against them by someone? Seems completely illogical to me.

Why would the garrison let the siege gear just sit around in front of their settlement waiting for it to be used against them by someone? Seems completely illogical to me.
Which is why the size of the garrison decides the rate of decay. If the garrison has to march out of the gates to destroy the equipment they open themselves up and are vulnerable. Now mind me, the siege equipment wont stay out of days but it also wouldnt immediately disappear as soon as an AI decides to yeet themselves to a new objective and then yoinks back when that seems less attractive and gets stuck in a siege building loop.

a few fire arrows will do the job
but then again
it s a game it has not to be superrealistic if the concept is fun
so yes they could stay a day or 2

will we get to pick what to build when defending a walled fief?

will fire pots be placed above the gates in every walled fief to throw them at rams?

Which is why the size of the garrison decides the rate of decay. If the garrison has to march out of the gates to destroy the equipment they open themselves up and are vulnerable. Now mind me, the siege equipment wont stay out of days but it also wouldnt immediately disappear as soon as an AI decides to yeet themselves to a new objective and then yoinks back when that seems less attractive and gets stuck in a siege building loop.
I think that realistically the defenders would demolish the siege engines within at most hours after the besiegers leave. I dont think the risk of exposure is something too significant, when in sieges a *common* practice was to sally forth to destroy those even *during* the siege, while the besiegers are actively trying to breach your defenses. Not doing so immediately after they left makes no sense to me.

So is there really a point in even programming this if the window of opportunity is so minuscule that it will be rarely taken advantage of?

That or we extend the decay period to longer than would be realistic. I think the real solution to this problem is stopping the stupid game of ping pong that besiegers, and really just armies in general, tend to play as they constantly reevaluate their objectives.

The discussion about the siege engines is wasted time...as if TW will consider a change for whatever reason. But in this case that´s fine, the game has enough major issues that needs to be resolved.

The discussion about the siege engines is wasted time...as if TW will consider a change for whatever reason. But in this case that´s fine, the game has enough major issues that needs to be resolved.
The amount and variety of crazy siege bugs never ends! I'm too tired to clip it out ATM but tonight I kept seeing flaming arrows in the sky during an offensive siege and then I find my khan's guard somehow has a fire ballista att the back of the map? I didn't build it and my engineer does not have the perk that gives you a free ballista! But I got it on tape and will report it tomorrow?? Also got good footage of getting stuck in wall and enemies stuck in unreachable locations, both requiring the siege to be retreated.

Have you considered having siege gear go into reserve by default so the AI can deploy a full array at once (as the player does) to get around the issue of the AI building and loosing it's siege gear and never attacking because of this loop?
+1
this is by far the biggest issue for AI sieging. Thanks to point that out ?
On top of it, sieging army leader should have dialogue option to buy food from player. Siege camp traders were essential in medieval times.

I think the real solution to this problem is stopping the stupid game of ping pong that besiegers, and really just armies in general, tend to play as they constantly reevaluate their objectives.

Yeah that would be the optimal solution. But if we're talking realistically, the chances of the AI getting fixed are a lot slimmer then circumventing the issues they cause.

To be frank, most discussions held on these forums are wasted time. We're contributing nothing to the process since it all falls on deaf ears. We're all speaking in hypotheticals.

To be frank, most discussions held on these forums are wasted time. We're contributing nothing to the process since it all falls on deaf ears. We're all speaking in hypotheticals.
I know, but I see a difference between changing existing stuff (armor system / placing siege engine into reserve, which has at least a very low chance of happening) and adding new stuff (won´t happen anyway unless already announced in the "roadmap")

I know, but I see a difference between changing existing stuff (armor system / placing siege engine into reserve, which has at least a very low chance of happening) and adding new stuff (won´t happen anyway unless already announced in the "roadmap")

Sure, both are extremely slim to non-existent. But for the sake of our entertainment it's atleast somewhat interesting to ponder and speculate about different possibilities and improvements. Like that Marvel TV-show "What If?". You know it'll never happen and that the things happening are too crazy to ever become a reality. But what if?

The amount and variety of crazy siege bugs never ends! I'm too tired to clip it out ATM but tonight I kept seeing flaming arrows in the sky during an offensive siege and then I find my khan's guard somehow has a fire ballista att the back of the map? I didn't build it and my engineer does not have the perk that gives you a free ballista! But I got it on tape and will report it tomorrow?? Also got good footage of getting stuck in wall and enemies stuck in unreachable locations, both requiring the siege to be retreated.

I have seen that aswell. They usually appear where other machines should be. I didn't take a screenshot, but I saw an image flanked by two ballistas during one siege.

On top of it, sieging army leader should have dialogue option to buy food from player. Siege camp traders were essential in medieval times
This might also increase trading skill if you are neutral. At least one more option to level it up and make it slightly less boring.

Back
Top Bottom