Beta Patch Notes e1.5.4

Users who are viewing this thread

How is the death of heroes in 1.5.4 actually calculated?? It seems to me not properly balanced. The player is loosing much more heroes as NPC clans. One example:
Battle NPC-700 vs Player-630(Winner)
NPC: 9 parties / no deaths
Player: 6 parties / 2 deaths (1 player companion, 1 minor clan leader)

• Agents surround enemy agents and choose a position based on the weapon length of the enemy. If the enemy had a longer weapon like a spear, the surrounding agents moved a bit far from the enemy. Now they compare the enemy's weapon length with their weapon length and move closer if the enemy's weapon is longer.
Don't know if it's this change, but combat behavior has improved. NPC space themselves better oftentimes. (y)

How is the death of heroes in 1.5.4 actually calculated?? It seems to me not properly balanced. The player is loosing much more heroes as NPC clans. One example:
Battle NPC-700 vs Player-630(Winner)
NPC: 9 parties / no deaths
Player: 6 parties / 2 deaths (1 player companion, 1 minor clan leader)

As a single case? That's just getting ****ed by dice. You need a lot more trials to start to see if the numbers are coming up weighted in some way. Getting ****ed by dice just happens sometimes, even when nothing is imbalanced. ?‍♂️

Hi to all. I think that the hearding penalty is the most gamebreaking. I used to enjoy moving around and the gaming experience went on and on fluently. Now I m stuck in the middle of the map not being able to move to catch up not even a whole army. Bring it back as it was until you have it rebalanced. Please...

Bro, the herd penalty is worse, but the Scouting perks and a few others make up for it, immensely.
ogGYAQf.png

That's a party of 200+ going faster than 7.0 on the map. Even then, you only take the penalty at above your manpower in livestock. So now you have to make a choice between carrying half of the Calradic food supply in your party OR having dozens of remounts and walking meat rations. But in this pic, I have enough food for about two years of campaigning and zero herd penalty, along with about three dozen warhorses to spare.

Last edited:
As a single case? That's just getting ****ed by dice. You need a lot more trials to start to see if the numbers are coming up weighted in some way. Getting ****ed by dice just happens sometimes, even when nothing is imbalanced. ?‍♂️
I was posting this obviously after lot more examples. This one case was just one example.
If it's random that's fine. I was rather concerned about if it's really same randomness for both Player and NPC. My impression after many battles is that it might be not.
I have the save file for this battle so I can try to fight it 10 times and compare the results. If I will have time I will try this.

It is a bit an oversimplifaction to think that you can only guide 1 horse and not 2,3,4, or any other number... just look at chariots for instance
Of course you can guide 2, 3, 4 or any other number. More slowly than guiding one. That's the herding penalty. Horses pulling chariots (which aren't in the game) aren't roped together behind a rider.

Of course you can guide 2, 3, 4 or any other number. More slowly than guiding one. That's the herding penalty.
Yeah but the herding penalty can slow one down to slower than a guy walking. That's overdone.
The herd penalty should not make horses go lower than maybe half-point between regular man on foot and regular horse.

Of course you can guide 2, 3, 4 or any other number. More slowly than guiding one. That's the herding penalty. Horses pulling chariots (which aren't in the game) aren't roped together behind a rider.
I dont think guiding 2 horses vs. 1 would decrease your speed at all, have you worked with horses regularly?

As a single case? That's just getting ****ed by dice. You need a lot more trials to start to see if the numbers are coming up weighted in some way. Getting ****ed by dice just happens sometimes, even when nothing is imbalanced.
Any non-player hero that gets "kiled" in battle has a 10% chance to die iirc. It's not weighed for or against any particular clan.

Yeah but the herding penalty can slow one down to slower than a guy walking. That's overdone.
The herd penalty should not make horses go lower than maybe half-point between regular man on foot and regular horse.
That sounds like a lot of horses (I've been to 300 horses/20 cav/75 infantry temporarily while picking up cheap desert horses plus mules to re-sell, and still moved above 4 speed). I suppose at what point does each troop not be able to have a few horses roped behind him, without causing havoc to the column - and the party ends up more like a group of cowboys herding hundreds of mustangs?

I think people are used to being able to campaign with hundreds of horses without meaningful penalty and are irritated that it's been addressed. No doubt there'll be a mod to change it back.

I dont think guiding 2 horses vs. 1 would decrease your speed at all, have you worked with horses regularly?
No. But what we're talking about here is not one person guiding two horses while riding another, but tens or hundreds of troops guiding some multiple of that of horses, laden with trade goods and equipment, while maintaining column cohesion and organisation while also (no doubt) trying to ride down groups of bandits or opposing armies. And none of us has done that.

Do cow-boys herding mustangs end up going slower than people on foot ?
Do cowboys herding mustangs siege castles and fight battles against hundreds of enemies without their mustangs running away? Do armies march 24 hours a day without rest?

It's a game, with abstractions. The herding penalty might get toned down a bit in a patch, or it will be modded, or you can adjust to it.

But a fully laden packhorse isn't much quicker than a trained soldier on foot anyway, over the course of a day.

How many troops do you have and how many are infantry and how many are cavalry? How many horses do you have? Mules seem to offer currently less herd penalty than sumpter horses or old work horses. Usually a single infantry troop can handle two horses (either pack or normal horses) and a cavalry troop can handle one horse.
Nvm that, @MArdA TaleWorlds said in another thread that it's intentional and that they've changed the herd penalty from 0.02 to 0.2.....
I'll have to change around my pach animale then..

Haven't really played much in a couple of months and popped in to see if I should take a look at 1.5.4 since the perks are mostly implemented and they patched 1.5.4. Based upon what I am reading it sounds like a "no".

Any non-player hero that gets "kiled" in battle has a 10% chance to die iirc. It's not weighed for or against any particular clan.
Are there plans to implement this for AI simulations? So it’s not just the players faction and their enemy who die in battle?

Also right now sieges for players are death traps for ally lords and there’s never even the chance to kill enemy lords as they never defend sieges. Honestly I turn off death for sieges because it often will unbalanced the number of lords in whatever kingdom I’m in. Before I did that I just avoided sieges

I’d be fine with the current rate if it impacted the AI vs AI and I didn’t feel like the grim reaper walking around

ALSO herd penalty is fine now, it was doing nothing beforehand

Haven't really played much in a couple of months and popped in to see if I should take a look at 1.5.4 since the perks are mostly implemented and they patched 1.5.4. Based upon what I am reading it sounds like a "no".
play ..
its absolutely fun to play (for me , no big issues or bugs)
just keep in mind to manage your herd its easy doable (just when you get wiped out with 50 horses its a problem)
and if you think heroes dieing to fast .. disable this feature
loot is also lower now so the early game lasts longer (which i like )

I'm with you on this. Mongol warriors guided several horses on the march and they travelled 80 miles a day or more. One article I read said an single Mongol Warrior might've brought 20 horses. Their formations were the fastest moving of any army up that time and faster than most that came in the years after their decline. Now I get it. That's the high water mark for mobility. I don't think all the factions should be able to replicate the Mongols. It would be like playing a basketball video game and saying all the players should be able to play like Jordan. But the herd penalty is crazy. After I played 1.5.4 for about an hour, I turned it off and reloaded 1.5.3. I can't do it. I've been very patient with them getting this game finalized and where it needs to be and they took a HUGE step backwards with 1.5.4. Rather... a GINORMOUS step backwards. 1.5.4 is unplayable.

Do cowboys herding mustangs siege castles and fight battles against hundreds of enemies without their mustangs running away? Do armies march 24 hours a day without rest?

It's a game, with abstractions. The herding penalty might get toned down a bit in a patch, or it will be modded, or you can adjust to it.

But a fully laden packhorse isn't much quicker than a trained soldier on foot anyway, over the course of a day.
That's all well and good. But look at how they've designed the game. Two things you have to gain in this game: Renown and money. They've tied them to certain activities. Now, I have to choose to be a hunter chasing around looters in order to get renown... OR... I can load myself up with trade goods and sell them for money and only get renown from tournaments. It's either or, not both. So, if they want mobility to reflect real life, I'm cool with that. But then balance that out some other way. If I want to play as a trader, give me some more options where I can earn renown (make tournaments available in every city and reset more quickly after they are done, for example). Or, if I want to chase looters around the map, add some more options to earn denars (up the loot from defeating looters). Something. Balance it out. And no Cowboys don't siege castles. Cowboys lose football games and then their owner gets on camera to explain why he's a great general manager despite accomplishing nothing since the 90s.

I have to agree. Realistic, troops would probably split. Meaning, a few troops, likely infantry would guard the cargo and camp somewhere, while the faster cavalry would catch the enemy. But we can't do that.

I think the need to choose either being a merchant or a soldier would not be as hard, if could stash your things somewhere before you have your own town. But this way you can only sell it, which means you will mostly not trade, because trading will not bring in renown and is also kinda boring alone.
I think a stash spot is a good answer for this. I'm cool with the restriction if I can stash my goods somewhere. I can pick them up when I feel like going on the caravan trail and I can stash them when I feel like chasing around looters. Although, I still prefer they just undo the herd penalty. The problem, even with the stash, is loss of flexibility. Let's say I go into a village. I need one more dose of relation with one of the village members to get a higher tier troop. That village member has an available quest which would give me that last bit of relationship I need to unlock that troop. I talk to him and the quest is "need help with bandits". Well, now I'm in caravan mode loaded down with crap and wouldn't be able to catch any bandits. Opportunity lost. By the time I stash my stuff and go back to that village, the quest timed out. Boo. Just undo this herd penalty. It kills me because before they did this there were already people whining about how do I go faster. So they had to know a lot of people were already feeling the mobility was too restrictive. And they freaking doubled down on the penalty still. I'm having a problem with the decision making process at TW right now. I reviewed this game at 1.4.1 and gave it a good review. All the way up to 1.5.3 I still would've given a good review. 1.5.4 is the first update where I've seriously considered updating that old review I did and saying nope... don't buy it. I am absolutely dumbfounded by this decision. You nerfed my party. I can barely move. OK. Do that to the caravans and the looters who are on foot. Apparently all the looters in Calradia are world class sprinters.

Now, I have to choose to be a hunter chasing around looters in order to get renown... OR... I can load myself up with trade goods and sell them for money and only get renown from tournaments. It's either or, not both.
So how come I'm doing both? Without a herd penalty? And faster than ever, given that scouting perks are implemented and pretty useful?

Back
Top Bottom