Beta Patch Notes e1.4.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, 10 more months, but not much happened in the first 2,5 months yet. That´s why a lot of us are "afraid".

I guess a lot of people, me included, expected a faster/better progress. According to mexxico there are 80 people working on the game.

As soon as I noticed that most of the perks don´t work I expected them to be working "soon", but we are still far away from this.
80 people working on game's different aspects, there are art designers or server responsibles blabla. Not 80 people coding game

I get the opposite impression. From the development diaries I read, Armagan has scrapped some things completely because they weren't living up to expectations. They spent almost a decade without selling anything related to Bannerlord, that should tell you how big of an investment they've made.

I know things can always get better and Taleworlds, like every company, can make improvements but I don't see the reason for all the fuss. They are planning about 10 more months of early access - the game is far from complete and they aren't suggesting it's almost done. I'm not directing this part of my post at you Brocephus but at the general attitude toward Taleworlds in this thread.
?

I think the negativity will continue to get worse until they can release some major patches that substantially improve the game and fill in a lot of the missing features. So far each patch has felt like one step forward, two steps back and a lot of people are getting increasingly frustrated at the progress. But that could all change with one really good patch.

I think the negativity will continue to get worse until they can release some major patches that substantially improve the game and fill in a lot of the missing features. So far each patch has felt like one step forward, two steps back and a lot of people are getting increasingly frustrated at the progress. But that could all change with one really good patch.
I agree. More communication is needed. Like where we are at, and the direction we are going. The slow updates, and lack of communication are what cause the negativity. Its a same to. Good game, let the community help you. We test whatever you put out. As long as it doesn't crash us. Hats off to the modders for keeping there mods updated.

Yes, 10 more months, but not much happened in the first 2,5 months yet.
I've actually noticed a lot of progress. Some of the things they've accomplished on the singleplayer side in the last 2.5 months:
  • Fixed many bugs and crashes.
  • Incrementally improved Campaign, Battle, and Siege AI behavior and other combat parameters.
  • Greatly improved overall performance.
  • Added new quests and refined the existing ones.
  • Polished and added various art and animation assets.
  • Added new music.
  • Added new weapons and armor.
  • Reworked troop loadouts and skill sets
  • Enhanced existing UI features and added new ones.
  • Added 100+ new noble npcs and reworked the appearances of existing ones.
  • Introduced the Diplomacy mechanic and partially phased out the placeholder system.
  • Replaced some of the placeholder perk trees with new and improved perks (a WIP obviously).
  • Fine-tuned the various aspects of the prosperity and kingdom management system.
That's not everything, of course; just things that came to mind. I think a ton of the changes have generally flown under the radar because many of them have been under the hood, and some people's expectations were that they would be dropping new, fully polished features on us on a semi-regular basis. They have been introducing new features though; it's just been at a steady, incremental pace. And of course that comes with many new bugs and unintended side effects that they need to address on the fly.

"Features" has just become an ambiguous word that tends to mean anything other than what we're being given.

Last edited:
I was a little put off about the progress of the game, so I took a break for a month, just started playing again and now I'm having fun again. I think a lot of things have improved like @Bannerman Man says, it just became more obvious when I wasn't foaming at the mouth for a new patch each week.

• Fixed many bugs and crashes.
  • Incrementally improved Campaign, Battle, and Siege AI behavior and other combat parameters.
  • Greatly improved overall performance.
  • Added new quests and refined the existing ones.
  • Polished and added various art and animation assets.
  • Added new music.
  • Added new weapons and armor.
  • Reworked troop loadouts and skill sets
  • Enhanced existing UI features and added new ones.
  • Added 100+ new noble npcs and reworked the appearances of existing ones.
  • Introduced the Diplomacy mechanic and partially phased out the placeholder system.
  • Replaced some of the placeholder perk trees with new and improved perks (a WIP obviously).
  • Fine-tuned the various aspects of the prosperity and kingdom management system.
So... everyone waited 8 years for nothing because these are all the things they should have it in the game already before release.
You cannot ship something totally unplayable after 8 years, fix it and claim that "You are doing a good job".
For tuning and small bug fixing, yeah, that's fine. It's understandable. But the game didn't even have decal textures for some arenas when it first came out. Apart from such unprofessional bugs, you can't miss like 50% of game features and put AAA price tag. I know you like the game, I also like M&B title but let's be realistic. This is not a charity or Kickstarter. Players have all right to be frustrated.
I mean come on, no need to go too further, here is a simple example, Bannerlord doesn't have official banners inside the game. Like the only thing should have been ready before release, which literally what's promised in the title, is not there.

they did not ship a game
they gave you a chance to get EARLY Access
i cannot see why this is so hard to gasp
if you dont like it maybe you should admit that you made an mistake by now and reevaluate your buying habits

I stated this elsewhere, but right now, the greatest issue in the game is that vassals have a high chance of leaving the player's kingdom regardless of their relation with the player. I can understand vassals leaving while below 0 relation, but I just had a vassal with 9 fiefs leave, and they were 100 relation. It makes absolutely zero sense, and no amount of reverting saves will prevent the vassal from leaving my kingdom.

I honestly don't care if it makes the game "more interesting" because it makes it far less fun, not being able to have any control over whether or not the vassal leaves. If anything, I should be given a notification that they are considering leaving and have the ability to take the matter into my own hands to prevent (or fail to prevent) that from happening. I'd prefer it scale with relation based on the vassal's honor, but as it is now, it is not functioning in a way which helps the player progress.

80 people working on game's different aspects, there are art designers or server responsibles blabla. Not 80 people coding game
At least no one can say anymore "but bro, it´s just a small indie company" :wink:

I've actually noticed a lot of progress. Some of the things they've accomplished on the singleplayer side in the last 2.5 months:
  • Fixed many bugs and crashes. > Yes, that´s nice no doubt!
  • Incrementally improved Campaign, Battle, and Siege AI behavior and other combat parameters. > I don´t see much improvment, siege towers are still useless most of the time. Defenders still suiciding from the castle walls.
  • Greatly improved overall performance. > Yes, also nice!
  • Added new quests and refined the existing ones. > Wow, as if this is the core of the game.
  • Polished and added various art and animation assets. > Nice to have, doesn´t improve the gameplay.
  • Added new music. > Not really important
  • Added new weapons and armor. > Again wow...
  • Reworked troop loadouts and skill sets > Modders can do this also and there a lot of mods who do this...WOW!
  • Enhanced existing UI features and added new ones. > Wow
  • Added 100+ new noble npcs and reworked the appearances of existing ones. > 100 nobles without much interaction and zero personality! It could be 1000 nobles, wouldn´t make any difference, they are generic (this a generic backstory :smile: , their writers maybe are helping George Martin to finish his GoT books maybe?
  • Introduced the Diplomacy mechanic and partially phased out the placeholder system. > Diplomancy mod does a better job, wow!
  • Replaced some of the placeholder perk trees with new and improved perks (a WIP obviously). > So we have like 30-40% working perks after 2,5 months, wow!
  • Fine-tuned the various aspects of the prosperity and kingdom management system. > Still not really working, wow!

Comments are in bold

Compare Bannerlord to Rimworld (awesome game, developed for years by one person, that´s a real indie game. Alpha was released in 2013, 30€ instead of 50€) and you see what I mean. Or Factorio, or Satisfactory or or or or or....

EA isn´t an excuse for the state this game is right now. Not for a AAA price.

If the EA price was 20€, totally fine. No complaints from my side, but it isn´t.

Last edited:
i cannot see why this is so hard to gasp
Because the game was under development for more than 8 years. And there are also many statements of Armagan where they were planning to "release" when they are ready. Also, Early-access doesn't mean DevBuild. EA is also a form of release and that's why the main release is called "Full release". And if you promise the following on your web page
The early access version of the game contains a wealth of content that will keep players engaged for many hours. While the early access version is very much stable and playable, players can expect to run into some obscure bugs and other issues while playing that we intend to locate and fix before the full release
then people will expect "wealth of content that will keep players engaged for many hours"
If you are okay with all these bugs and weirdness after 8 years of development, sure, go ahead and be the tester after paying AAA price.
However, you being okay with this won't keep me away from stating my mind in the forum. Especially while game's active users are on decline.

If your unhappy next year when it's actually released maybe you'll have an argument.
According to your logic, we shouldn't say anything because it's EA. Also it's not clear that game will be in full release after a year. That's just your assumption. Regardless to that, I think you are missing the argument here but I won't bother to argue anyway.

Because the game was under development for more than 8 years. And there are also many statements of Armagan where they were planning to "release" when they are ready. Also, Early-access doesn't mean DevBuild. EA is also a form of release and that's why the main release is called "Full release". And if you promise the following on your web page then people will expect "wealth of content that will keep players engaged for many hours"
If you are okay with all these bugs and weirdness after 8 years of development, sure, go ahead and be the tester after paying AAA price.
However, you being okay with this won't keep me away from stating my mind in the forum. Especially while game's active users are on decline.

According to your logic, we shouldn't say anything because it's EA. Also it's not clear that game will be in full release after a year. That's just your assumption. Regardless to that, I think you are missing the argument here but I won't bother to argue anyway.

+1, fanboys can't stand critical comments about the game, always using EA as the excuse to everything. We love the game too, doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't criticize it for its shortcomings. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, even if they think that EA is fine the way it is, doesn't mean we have to agree and think that way too.

then people will expect "wealth of content that will keep players engaged for many hours"

look, i myself will reach 500 hours played this weekend , im happy sofar and see alot of progress
so there is alot of content, its absolutly playable and yes there are bugs
but devs recognice them and they get fixed
some sooner some later
its highly modable so you can easily tinker it to your vision what the game should be

Bannerman Man gave you a list what changed and and you say its 8 years in development , thats totally irrelevant

EDIT : and dont forget, its only a small Indy company =)
EDITH 2 i did not wait 8 years , i dit not have any expectations what the game should be i just stumbled over it and bought it and now i like it
so maybe its the old problem that the expectations arre to high and it was overhyped

Comments are in bold
I didn't ask what you consider important. Development is not a straight path to the finishline. In 10 months you'll be a frog sitting in boiling water saying, "hang on a minute, I thought we were supposed to be getting new features."

So... everyone waited 8 years for nothing
No response I can give will ever assuage the "it's been 8 years" crowd, so it's not really worth discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom