Beta Installer Marked as Virus

Users who are viewing this thread

IntegerDevourer said:
Darkness said:
Yall don't read do yah? The installer says to disable anti-virus programs and close all other applications before installing. Now we see why... hm?

But as far as good anti-viral programs. I like norton for its intrusion prevention. And I like superantispyware (from superantispyware.com) for virus removal. Superantispyware has a free version that I highly recommend.

That's great advice except AVG removes it before you open it. Resident Shield scans it before you have a chance.
Norton is actually worse than some viruses. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, ever.

Well... why dont you disable AVG and resident shield before you download something like everyone says and the installer says previously?

And btw... norton didnt give me this kind of trouble... so... whos to judge which is better.

Well... why dont you disable AVG and resident shield before you download something like everyone says and the installer says previously?
I was the first report so technically I couldn't have known previously. But thanks.

whos to judge which is better.
Ask any IT professional.

Darkness said:
And btw... norton didnt give me this kind of trouble... so... whos to judge which is better.
Norton is a terrible AV program. For the amount of money you spend for it, it is absolutely worthless. It does not protect your computer from a damn thing, and it doesn't detect a damn thing either. :mad:

Redfyre said:
Darkness said:
Norton is a terrible AV program. For the amount of money you spend for it, it is absolutely worthless. It does not protect your computer from a damn thing, and it doesn't detect a damn thing either. :mad:

Protection I find it does OK. removal, not so much. I have freebies for removal lol

Redfyre said:
Darkness said:
Hm, I beg to differ. I have had Norton for a year and I have not had a single virus and it does detect things.
But for the money it is total waste. I get a 2 year subscription for free. Before that I was using AVG, but you had to have AVG and some other antivirus program running and all together it was more of a hassle.
It also does not think things are viruses, I have never had that happen.

IntegerDevourer said:
Ask any IT professional.

I'm a certified geek, responsible for 300+ small-to-medium business clients in about a 150 square mile (or maybe rectangular mile, I live on the coast) radius. We install Symantec Corporate at all of our clients (minus those we inherit with sufficient pre-existing coverage they're happy with). Symantec is the business edition of Norton.

That said, you couldn't possibly pay me enough to install Norton on any machine I'm responsible for. AVG is a decent product, but as has been reported here, it can be obnoxiously intrusive. Another part of the equation, particularly on older systems, is resource consumption (which is a lot of the reason we roll with Symantec): AVG is a tremendous hog of system horsepower. So far as free protection goes, I recommend Avast, common sense, and a good friend who works in IT; even if you possess two of these, the third one will always bite you.

Why does a good friend matter? Even if you have coverage (be it free or paid for), there are viruses designed to counteract the most common and/or effective forms of antivirus. You're more likely to be infected if you didn't have the common sense to avoid clicking on "CLICK HERE FOR YOUR FREE $1,000,000,000" in the first place (or, you fell for one of the incredibly well-designed and legitimate-looking "warning, your computer is infected" messages). So, once you ARE infected, you need someone able to walk you through the tools (tools, plural) required to determine, flesh out, and (if possible) remove the infection(s).

... figured I'd chime in! Now back to yer regularly skeduled skewering.    :grin:

My problem is a combination :
I have NOD32 V4 and I had to disable it to allow the download of the installer. Then I had to kill the process egui.exe to allow the server browser to display and I was able to join a game without many problem in fact. But the strange thing is that when the game ends and switches to another, I get an error at the faction selector so I get back to the server browser and nothing shows up. I have to run NOD32 again to kill it again and only after that servers show up in the browser... weird isn't it ?
I wonder if I have to uninstall NOD to play the beta...  :???:

You simply need to add Warband to NOD32's whitelist (which might be called "exceptions", "safe files", or something else along those lines). This will then allow you to play it without further interference. You may need to repeat this process each time a new Warband patch is released, however.

I've had no problems with AVG until Warband :sad: Now it is giving me multiple warnings every day about something I assume is Themida (I've run a virus scan twice and nothing showed up).

Antivirus is pretty much obsolete, a waste of system resources and an unnecessary annoyance to pretty much everyone. In this day and age, virus is pretty much only able to get on your system if you install it yourself. I've not used antivirus for somewhere around 18 months, and the occasional scan I do turns up nothing. Just uninstall it.

Darian said:
You simply need to add Warband to NOD32's whitelist (which might be called "exceptions", "safe files", or something else along those lines). This will then allow you to play it without further interference. You may need to repeat this process each time a new Warband patch is released, however.

Thanks, I'll do that now :smile:

Back
Top Bottom