Beta e1.7.2 Troop & Equipment Changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Both. We evaluate how much damage different troops do, how distinctive they are visually, and how they interact with each other.
I'm a strong believer that minor factions should be 5 tiered like major factions; as right now their top-tier troops do not even match the top-tier commoner troop trees in power.

"Last throwable weapon stay as a melee weapon" was added later in EA process afaik. Not a bug imo.

So if your guy or girl has only one throwable weapon, it will stay.

They wanted that Legio and Darkhan should be pure melee/limited & scnenic anti-cav troop. Probably for role seperation purposes.

It's okay to me. I don't mind both ways...

They are based on cultures who highly idolized skill at archery.
Because Celts, which are Battania's inspiration,
using your logic. i mean this is a genuine question.
"When did TW say they were meant to be the...." i mean where did TW say Battanians were the Celts and Aserai were inspired by w.e and Khuzait were meant to represent the w.e else? can you quote an official post by a TW team member? or are you just making assumptions based on head canon?

Last time i checked, Battania is the ONLY FACTION with mentions of ARCHERY PROWESS in their culture description. (if this doesn't make them TW's best archers faction, then what does?) and it was further emphasized in the dialogue given for Neretze's Folly: their army featured the archers and falxmen. while Vlandia had their knights and crossbow. Asrai sent only their light infantry skirmishers, while Imperial had their "vanguard" which i assumed was the legionaries and they had the cataphracts on reserve. The sturgians sent their shield wall while the Khuzait had their horse archers. that's the Tw version of the calradia and what each culture's specialty was. loosely based on the real world. but very loosely. there has been no indication that they hired history experts as consultants in order to make the game as realistic as possible... and it does seem a lot of their inspirations come from fantasy and movies.

Battanians were about the archers and falsmen, they already got their falxmen. but them showers of arrows would be kinda hard when you have half the number of archers. (not to mention half the factions also have more ranged units in the form of horse archers)

Last edited:
They wanted that Legio and Darkhan should be pure melee/limited & scnenic anti-cav troop. Probably for role seperation purposes.
do they use those short spears vs cavalry or are they still using just their swords only? with the spear being dead weight? ( why do javelins come in stacks of 5 but the pila, which is the exact same size, only comes in 1...)

"When did TW say they were meant to be the...." i mean where did TW say Battanians were the Celts and Aserai were inspired by w.e and Khuzait were meant to represent the w.e else? can you quote an official post by a TW team member? or are you just making assumptions based on head canon?

Last time i checked, Battania is the ONLY FACTION with mentions of ARCHERY PROWESS in their culture description. (which makes them TW's best archers faction) and it was further emphasized in the dialogue given for Neretze's Folly: their army featured the archers and falxmen. while Vlandia had their knights and crossbow. Asrai sent only their light infantry skirmishers, while Imperial had their "vanguard" which i assumed was the legionaries and they had the cataphracts on reserve. The sturgians sent their shield wall while the Khuzait had their horse archers. that's the Tw version of the calradia and what each culture's specialty was. loosely based on the real world. but very loosely.

Battanians were about the archers and falsmen, they already got their falxmen. but them showers of arrows would be kinda hard when you have half the number of archers. (not to mention half the factions also have more ranged units in the form of horse archers)

"As readers have probably guessed, the Battanians are inspired by the Celtic peoples of Western Europe - in particular, the Picts, Irish, and Welsh of the early medieval era."

Source: Dev Blog 19/10/17

"Last throwable weapon stay as a melee weapon" was added later in EA process afaik. Not a bug imo.
No, that's not the reason.

There is this code that checks if the weapon has the NotStackable tag and if it does, prevents the AI from using it as a ranged weapon.

1.png

NotStackable tag comes from the spearhead and they start to throw their spears again if you remove it.

There is this code that checks if the weapon has the NotStackable tag and if it does, prevents the AI from using it as a ranged weapon.

1.png

NotStackable tag comes from the spearhead and they start to throw their spears again if you remove it.

So they dont throw it because they only have one of them?

"As readers have probably guessed, the Battanians are inspired by the Celtic peoples of Western Europe - in particular, the Picts, Irish, and Welsh of the early medieval era."

Source: Dev Blog 19/10/17
can't believe you managed to dig something from 5 years ago. bravo...

but "inspired by" is a very vague term. which to me represents more of visual aesthetics in terms of equipment art than historical accuracy especially history of warfare.

but "inspired by" is a very vague term. which to me represents more of visual aesthetics in terms of equipment art than historical accuracy especially history of warfare.

Yeah I dont know. Not really part of the discussion. Just remembered reading it way back

do they use those short spears vs cavalry or are they still using just their swords only? with the spear being dead weight? ( why do javelins come in stacks of 5 but the pila, which is the exact same size, only comes in 1...)
When I last played (1.7.0) I haven´t seen them using the pila for melee fights.

1.png

Oh okay then, it should be like this, i remembered the wrong reasoning, but the end of it looks same...

@KingEroc1st sometimes i have seen Darkhans using their spears against mounted units. But it is rarely.

1.png

Exactly. It's not that the dll had to be compiled after the edit, it's that simply deleting that line in the ****ing xml solves the problem. It's less than 10 seconds... if you're wondering why this isn't fixed?

Welcome, this is the Bannerlord experience™.

A punctual mistake is understandable, we all make mistakes... but the fact that this has dragged on since practically 1.6.3 is beyond my understanding... being a thing of such easy application (plausible since the RBM guys fixed it immediately).

As Penn already said, the dev blog from 2017 is an official statement they're meant to be Celts. If you couldn't tell from looking at everything about them.

If you think they have changed their minds since the statement was made, then just look at the Celtic tartans and helmets they continue to add to Battania. It isn't up for debate, they are very strongly Celtic inspired. And why would TW bother using the entire Celt aesthetic if they weren't going to copy their warfare style too? Which is what they have done. Apart from a bit too much cavalry, Battania's troop tree is an authentic mix of different types of Celtic warfare.
Last time i checked, Battania is the ONLY FACTION with mentions of ARCHERY PROWESS in their culture description.
Then you didn't check at all. First off, open up a new campaign, and read Khuzait's. "They are masters of mounted archery, shooting and galloping out of reach."

More importantly, Battania's culture description doesn't mention archery prowess at all! Seriously, boot up a new campaign and go read it. It only talks about their great swords and great axes.
(if this doesn't make them TW's best archers faction, then what does?)
Well, apparently nothing.
and it was further emphasized in the dialogue given for Neretze's Folly: their army featured the archers and falxmen.
Yes, Fian Champions and Veteran Falxmen. What's the issue? Both of those things are already in their trooptree.

You do realise that the argument you're making could also be used to make Aserai's nobles into light infantry skirmishers, or add cataphracts to Empire's regular troop line.
there has been no indication that they hired history experts as consultants in order to make the game as realistic as possible... and it does seem a lot of their inspirations come from fantasy and movies.
Go read the dev blogs and also the official Twitter. Every single faction devblog goes into depth about the historical inspiration behind each faction and even, in some cases, cites individual battles and historical sources that inspired TW.
Battanians were about the archers and falsmen, they already got their falxmen but them showers of arrows would be kinda hard when you have half the number of archers
And they already have their archers too, Fian Champions. And they fire at an absurd rate which is indeed a shower of arrows.

And they already have their archers too, Fian Champions. And they fire at an absurd rate which is indeed a shower of arrows.
are you attempting to make a case saying a group of 20 fians can shoot more arrow than about 30-40 archers plus as many horse archers? really?
because that's about the composition different you see in a party sized around 120 men between a battanian lord vs a khuzait/Aserai lord.
if the Battanians are firing out a shower of arrows than they certainly are receiving a storm. seems just about every faction has the ranged advantage over our arrow boys, the sturgian round shields are clearly vastly superior to the Battanian narrow planks at receiving said storm.
Go read the dev blogs and also the official Twitter. Every single faction devblog goes into depth about the historical inspiration behind each faction and even, in some cases, cites individual battles and historical sources that inspired TW.
in terms of most historically accurate games ever made. Mount and Blades doesn't get close to the even the middle of the list. there's a reason they made up everything. when they could have made it all based on reality. there's enough texts and info for them to go for 100% historical accuracy, they aren't going for that or even in that direction. thus a fantasy land "INSPIRED" by real life, as much as it's inspired by movies and fiction.
Yes, Fian Champions and Veteran Falxmen. What's the issue? Both of those things are already in their trooptree.

You do realise that the argument you're making could also be used to make Aserai's nobles into light infantry skirmishers, or add cataphracts to Empire's regular troop line.
the issue is they have about half as many archers compared to every other faction when the Battanian lords seemed to suggest they'd out numbered their opponents in ranged units when you talk to them.
why not make Aserai nobles some kind of skirmisher infantry, the faris line suck with their 170 lance and golden poo armor. while at it, give them another type of tier 5 , maybe a cavalry
the empire already has legionaries and cataphracts and 5 types of tier 5 troops. aside from palatine guards being clearly under equipped compared to their counterparts thus quite obsolete they are fine and arguably the most balanced/well rounded faction.
Then you didn't check at all. First off, open up a new campaign, and read Khuzait's. "They are masters of mounted archery, shooting and galloping out of reach."

More importantly, Battania's culture description doesn't mention archery prowess at all! Seriously, boot up a new campaign and go read it. It only talks about their great swords and great axes.
"MOUNTED" archery.... could this mean it's different? perhaps a completely different category of troops called HORSE ARCHERS?? or maybe they just know how to gallop on foot from being with horses for so long...
they are master horse archers with 2 types of horse archers and out number every faction's horse archers. in the case for these Khuzaits, TW got the memo and nailed it.
the culture description is a description of their CULTURE. not military strategy. which is why i quoted the dialogues from the quest, where WARLORDS detail you on the events of the GREATEST BATTLE in recent history from their personal perspectives. besides. i don't see a single great axe in Battania so what's up with that? clearly the cultural text is a new change from a few months ago with little to do with the rest of the game.
And why would TW bother using the entire Celt aesthetic if they weren't going to copy their warfare style too? Which is what they have done. Apart from a bit too much cavalry, Battania's troop tree is an authentic mix of different types of Celtic warfare.
because aside from visual aesthetics they haven't been very consistent or accurate with other aspects of the game for any of the factions. or put in nearly as much effort. i mean since the early release, what aspects of the game have seen more work? troop tree balances or new armor pieces? how combat works in game or new village/town/field scenes?
having too many cavalry is basically the same type of problem as having too few archers, and can be fixed with one change.

are you attempting to make a case saying a group of 20 fians can shoot more arrow than about 30-40 archers plus as many horse archers? really?
No. I'm saying a group of Fians could shoot a "shower of arrows" at Pendraic, whether they can fire more than others isn't really relevant.
there's a reason they made up everything. when they could have made it all based on reality. there's enough texts and info for them to go for 100% historical accuracy, they aren't going for that or even in that direction
No offense but if you think that you need to learn more about history. Nearly every single armour piece, architectural design and weapon in Bannerlord is based on the 600-1100AD time period in real life Europe, from the Byzantine, Celtic, Norman, Arabic, Mongolian and Kievan Rus cultures.
the issue is they have about half as many archers compared to every other faction when the Battanian lords seemed to suggest they'd out numbered their opponents in ranged units when you talk to them
That just means they had lots of Fians at the time - just like the Vlandians had lots of knights present at the battle, the Empire had lots of catas, etc.
"MOUNTED" archery.... could this mean it's different? perhaps a completely different category of troops called HORSE ARCHERS??
Sure, but what you said was "archery prowess." You didn't say "troop category".
the culture description is a description of their CULTURE. not military strategy
Just a couple of hours ago you thought culture descriptions were the most important thing, now you say they don't matter at all. I don't think you're being honest with yourself. Let me quote your last post:

"Last time i checked, Battania is the ONLY FACTION with mentions of ARCHERY PROWESS in their culture description. (if this doesn't make them TW's best archers faction, then what does?)"

And more importantly, it does describe their military strategy pretty clearly: "wild charges with great swords and great axes."
Besides. i don't see a single great axe in Battania so what's up with that? clearly the cultural text is a new change from a few months ago with little to do with the rest of the game.
It's not new.
And yes, it is weird that Battania has no great axes. They should remove the melee cavalry branch and add an axe branch.
having too many cavalry is basically the same type of problem as having too few archers, and can be fixed with one change.
Having too many cavalry is a problem because it's inconsistent with the Celtic theme, and is bad for variety between factions.

Having no regular archers isn't a problem because it's consistent with the Celtic theme, and is good for variety between factions, and you haven't demonstrated any real reason why they need to have them.

In addition, adding regular archers would be a bad thing for the variety between faction armies, as it would make Battania more generic like everyone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom