Beta Controversies and Criticisms of Bannerlord Combat.

What are your feelings towards Bannerlord's Combat?

• I am more than satisfied with Bannerlord's Combat, even compared to Warband's.

Votes: 105 32.4%
  • There are concerns, but the game is in Early Access, and thus I think there is no need to worry.

Votes: 112 34.6%
  • It is an improvement over past entrees, but it is still worryingly flawed.

Votes: 31 9.6%
  • I am quite dissatisfied with the game's current state, and this cannot be excused by Early Access.

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • I have not participated in the beta, and so cannot say whether it is better or worse or the same...

Votes: 35 10.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Look, I haven't played the beta, but I did select "I'm satisfied" because there's no way they can screw it up, just use Warband as a base and build on that, no need to redesign what already works.

I was in the beta test for Warband which was ALL multiplayer as well IIRC. We got the opportunity to suggest feedback to the devs about the combat once we realised there was blatant ways to abuse it, they fixed it, we suggested other ways of making combat interesting, they did that also. IIRC kicking wasn't supposed to be in the game, but it was suggested and implemented, it was broken as **** at first, we gave feedback, they listened and fixed it. Multiplayer was solid and playable for the last 10 years. With or without mods.

Actually Warband had a MB and a SP beta. Some ppl took part in both, but the MP beta had AFAIK the far bigger group of testers.

Personally, having only played Bannerlord for a few hours, I don't have a good gripe on the combat yet. For now, the decision of delaying attacks after the player input is kinda baffling to me. Doesn't feel good to me. I mean, there was the shock rifle in Unreal tournament that did that, but idk...
For commenting on the finer points of the combat system I personally need more time with the game to form an opinion.

To my knowledge, it was stated that SP and MP was being developed by two teams inside taleworlds. Plus there is the whole aspect of the RPG system in SP - I suppose things like attack speed rises with weapon proficiency, mitigating some of the problems.

What I found irritataing that in one of the combat balancing threads, Armagan was quite fast to make (I think) the blocking delay "a serverside option". Not that I see a problem with having options for custom servers. But it is a significant design point for how swordplay works, and quickly moving that to a "serverside option" could be seen as not having a very strong vision of how the combat system should work and "flow" in vanilla bannerlord.

However, as irritating as that thought may be after ten years, we are entering early access, a period which Taleworlds said they want to use to strongly refine the game. Plus Armagan designed the M&B series, which I consider a gem in the world of gaming, so he definitly has great design chops.

So I am optimistic, but cautious.Further feedback, dialogue between us and the developers and iterations will be necessary.

I haven't played the beta alot, mainly towards the end. A bit in January, and alot more the past week or so. I feel the combat is in a really good place and although initially I didn't like it, after adjusting a little I really enjoy it. I think there is still some balancing to be done, but I have faith these things will get sorted. There is still plenty of time.

Back
Top Bottom